I've got a serious dilemma...

[FONT=&quot]I have been into poker cashgames and MTTs since a few months, I used to play hold’em with playchips, but that was years ago. I wasn’t taking it very serious, but the game suited me well, and I wanted to try it with real money at some point… Took a few years until I really got back into poker, and 4months ago I finally started…[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]I was succesful in some MTTs, and won 8 of those in a pretty short time. I mainly focused on cashgames though, which seem to suit me a lot more, I realised some time later… Started playing cashgames on a bitcoin poker site (Betcoin), read a good review about it and gave it a try with my very first deposit. Quite some gamblers/fish on there so that helped to make some profit already… I played on 2 other poker providers, one of the few sites only that are legal in my country (Belgium). I got better and more refined in the game as I played cashgames. Since some time I also multi-table which worked well too.
I did loose some money, but got better along the way, more insight into the game etc, so that motivated me to continue…[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]But now my problem:
I was able to make really nice profits in a short time, like I started with 10$ buy-in in a room, and in the same room I went up to almost 100$, playing some hours. That convinced me I could really make good money with poker, and the possibilities had to be even much better than this, since I was still playing at really low stakes… But the problem was I seemed to loose a lot of that money in the end… Did I play too loose or overconfident when I got a big stack? Was I lucky and did I think I was already that great because I made great profit, and kept on making mistakes, after those upswings?
I think it’s a combination of all those things…[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]But the surprising (or not surprising) thing was that this pattern seemed to repeat itself later on, in a very similar way. I won a lot in a period like a day, but lost it again sooner or later, and offcourse that frustrated me…
AT some point I made more than 300euros in a day, and that really gave me wings… I was convinced that I could be a professional poker player, and the possibilities had to be much greater than this, in the end…
But even then I couldn’t continue and keep those good results day after day… I didn’t want to give up and I started again on the bitcoin site, playing up to 3 tables at a time, and they offer a nice VIP system with rakeback.
It did seem to going better than before, even with some downswings.
At times I did get mad and frustrated on bad beats and bad luck, cuz I thought I was so unlucky at times (I do have similar problems in life in general). But I still wanted to continue, thinking I also learned out of the hands that went wrong…[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]But so to cut my story short: I would love to be a professional poker player, I really like the game… For example the strategic thinking, the learning and evolving, the fact that you can play it from wherever you live, at any time. That you are not dependant on other people or a boss, etc… I feel like I really need it, to give me the (financial) freedom I’m looking for in life. I do have an income now, so in theory I don’t need the money… I don’t have a job though, and a “regular job” is just not an option for me (anymore). I was so euphoric when my earnings began to be really good playing cash games, and at another time when it went bad, I cried of pure sadness…
I don’t want to give up that dream yet, thinking I really have the talent for this game, and already proven that I can do it, despite the losses…
But I can’t deny that it’s not really good for me if bad beats do get me mad, and my play might suffer under that too. Or the financial losses if I couldn’t get my earnings and positive balance stable… In my opinion it’s easier to find that balance though when you play games, rather than tournaments. I also feel that there is more luck involved in tournaments…[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I do think the only way to find out for sure is maybe to give it once last chance, and do my very best to get it going… I gave myself a period of at least a few weeks now to consider, what the best thing is to do, because this is really a difficult situation for me. So I stopped playing for now…
It’s quite important to me because if I could be a poker pro, it could really give me the life I want… That I can live independent (now living with my parents still), build something up and have the money in life to make plans etc… (Now I just have a limited income). Thats why I don’t want to give up that quickly, but maybe you guys have a different opinion. At this moment I just wouldn’t know what else to do if I had to forget about poker. So only if I’d see it really is not for me, or does not work out, I’d stop…
I’m also thinking, if poker is not for me, what do these pros have or can do what I could not? That might sound a bit arrogant, but I really believe I have all the skills to be a great player… I might not have nerves of steel, and I do have my flaws, but so does everyone, I think.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]All ideas, advice or inspiration is appreciated!smile.gif[/FONT]

Comments

• Sorry but I'm not going to feed your dreams.. Go back to school, get an education and a career, play poker for fun. You have already described the reasons you are not successful. And you still live in your parents basement? How old are you?

Some key statements below that I picked up on that show me you are a long way from being a proven winner at poker. You need to be a winner at life in general before you even hope to be a winner at poker.

overconfident
    pattern seemed to repeat itself
    I did get mad and frustrated on bad beats and bad luck
    already proven that I can do it, despite the losses…
  • compuease wrote: »
    Sorry but I'm not going to feed your dreams.. Go back to school, get an education and a career, play poker for fun. You have already described the reasons you are not successful. And you still live in your parents basement? How old are you?

Some key statements below that I picked up on that show me you are a long way from being a proven winner at poker. You need to be a winner at life in general before you even hope to be a winner at poker.

overconfident
    pattern seemed to repeat itself
    I did get mad and frustrated on bad beats and bad luck
    already proven that I can do it, despite the losses…

I am 30, and what does it matter if I live in my "parents basement"? And I think it's good that I know where my flaws and mistakes are, that way you can eliminate them and get better... I'm sure no poker player was born perfect and all-educated. And who says that education and "carreer" (poker could be a carreer as well) is what I need? Or That it will make me happy? Because I'm very confident it would not. I think those things I mentioned that I struggle with, is what every poker player will experience at one point in his game, pros just as much...
  • Most successful pros left their day jobs or schools once poker became insanely profitable for them - not a moment before.
  • Advice posted above is sound. Of course you can learn the game... anyone can... but dont expect to support yourself with it, and in fact you should count on losing on average for a long time. Instead, find something to support yourself while you learn the game.

You will know you are closer to ready when you can explain back to us why your post above shows that you arent.
  • Echoing the sentiments above. Most "Pros" didn't realize they were a professional until the income they made from poker exceeded their day job income.
    And, this is not knocking your lifestyle, but you are living a sheltered existence. You live at home, so there is no mortgage, property taxes, etc... If your plan is to be on your own, then your income has to be far greater than you may think.
    Do you want to get married, kids, now your income has to be far, far, far greater.
    Poker is a fantastic hobby and you can even make some money while doing it. But treat it like a hobby, you will have way more fun.
    And one more thing, those Pros you see on TV, most of them make their money from Sponsorship deals, their buyins are paid for or they are backed. Only the top 1%, maybe less, are actually self sufficient from just poker. It is no different than Pro sports, only the very elite make money to play, the rest of us pay to watch them.
  • Remind anyone of someone who moved to Van?

minus the couch moving of course... and then there was Irish girl...
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    Only the top 1%, maybe less, are actually self sufficient from just poker.
    Nailed it.

No reason not to go for it, dream as you wish, but you might want to do a few key things:
    1) Bankroll Management: Play small games like .01/.02 with your 100 bucks
    2) Track your results religiously, and be truthful to yourself
    3) Look at where you are at after 10,000 hours of play - hundred's of thousands of hands until you've seen everything
    4) If you are going to put that effort into online, then invest in a tracker
    5) Read, Read, Read, Read, Study, Read, Study

Do all theses things and after 10,000 hours, you will know if you have what it takes. A few good sessions where we are talking about a few hundred hands is naive to think you can base any outcome of how good you are - or where you can take it.

As comp said "Play poker for fun".

Get good and take your friends' money - that's what I like to do, lol :)

EDIT: EXCEPT AT CASH GAMES, LMAO!
  • this is what i want to know more about:
    I do have an income now, so in theory I don’t need the money… I don’t have a job though

that sounds pretty sweet to me (if not just slightly nonsensical). why not just play poker for fun and never work ever with your income that doesn't require a job?
  • Nice detective work, at least he's trying to get a good cross section of opinions. Wonder if he's tried 2+2, i'm sure they would chew him up...

nvm, he did, interested to see the replies there.
    I've got a serious dilemma... - Poker Goals & Challenges -- Two Plus Two Poker Forums

More interesting stuff, maybe he's 30 physically... somewhat younger in maturity.
    Abusive player at 25NL ? Sent to support ? 7 2 BLUFF?Diary of a poker player
  • trigs wrote: »
    this is what i want to know more about:

that sounds pretty sweet to me (if not just slightly nonsensical). why not just play poker for fun and never work ever with your income that doesn't require a job?

Heh, yea that would be the safest option never to risk loosing money... But my life would be pretty boring too, I want to achieve something in my life, that I really have tthe feeling being alive... My life is so empty at this time, and already for some longer time that I want to bring new meaning to it. I wouldn't even have fun if I'd play poker for no money. The money aspect might bring risks, and stress but on the other side it gives you something to work on, something to dream of, something to achieve, and reach greater heights in your life... I'm not a selfish person, and if I would make it big, I would probably stop poker after some time, and actually do things to make this world a better place... But you gotta start somewhere in life, you gotta build something up first, and have your own life... As a base for all the rest you want to achieve in life.
  • You guys got fed rolled

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    You guys got fed rolled

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Naw, do you even understand?