One For The Middle Aged Guys - Eric Afriat Ships Record WPT

I don't repost a lot of articles here, but this interview with Montreal's Eric Afriat after he shipped the WPT Seminole Hard Rock Poker Showdown is an instant favorite:

Interview With Eric Afriat, Winner of Record Smashing WPT Seminole Hard Rock Poker Showdown | Canada Poker | Canadian Poker News

Love seeing guys score big but take the money to set themselves, much like Pudge or Jarvis.

Hope you enjoy the read.

Comments

• As a poker reporter, it would be good for you to find out what he plans to do about the > U$324,000 taxes withheld, with 8 months left to play after the WPT World Championship.

Wow, lots of tournament cashes around the world for an amateur middle-aged guy with a family.

Dumb and Dumber - You're telling me there's a chance - YouTube
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    As a poker reporter, it would be good for you to find out what he plans to do about the > U$324,000 taxes withheld, with 8 months left to play after the WPT World Championship.

Wow, lots of tournament cashes around the world for an amateur middle-aged guy with a family.

Dumb and Dumber - You're telling me there's a chance - YouTube

As a poker reporter one topic players don't really seem to go on record for is taxes...I tried to get Buchanan to go into it when we did his cover for PokerPro, as I'd been told he was one that they were trying to prove skill vs windfall on. As for withholding, I probably explain it like this to 4 recreational fans of the game a month -> if you win 20k, you might get it almost all back but if you win $200,000 just consider most of it gone.

Canadian bracelet winner Andre Boyer back in early 2000's brought it up in Montreal when did interview, long time pro Samuel Chartier who with others had some of Duhamel in 2010, Pudge who won 600k, my friends Khoa (11th in WSOP main and Umang (27th) I believe won $280 and more than $600k, shelled out $6k fees, pretty much kissing it good bye.

As Eric has said he's not going pro, imagine it be much the same. You freeroll to a point, as in you can play tons lose and then claim it back, but your still losing out of your profits and getting back your withholding...win again and cycle continues.

So I've pretty much stopped asking this as it just muddies the joy of the figure in the headlines...
  • " worth more than $1,081,000 USD, or nearly $1.2 Canadian dollars at the current exchange "

Boy the USD has really fallen off lately...

tapatalk puts this here to annoy YOU
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    " worth more than $1,081,000 USD, or nearly $1.2
    Boy the USD has really fallen off lately...

tapatalk puts this here to annoy YOU

Good catch. Will try to get edited but obv peoples brains filling in blanks
  • So....he's been chip leader for most of Day 3 & 4 in the 15k WPT world championship he won seat for at HardRock...21 left! Can he go back to back for another 1.3 milly???
  • Must be the lucky PlaygroundPoker.ca patch! ;) Do you know if he's sponsored by Playground yet after all the positive publicity he's been giving them on TV & other media?
    jontm wrote: »
    So....he's been chip leader for most of Day 3 & 4 in the 15k WPT world championship he won seat for at HardRock...21 left! Can he go back to back for another 1.3 milly???