Best Tournament Book?

Has anybody read Jonathan Duhamel's book yet - Final Table: A Winning Poker Approach from A WSOP Champion? The last poker book I've read was Phil Gordon's Little Gold Book, and my favourite chapter was about Daniel "Cheating Man" :( Cates.

I think Duhamel originally wrote the short essays in French on the 18 skills or qualities that all players need to win, then it was translated into English (146 pages). Is there a better tournament strategy book to read?

1 Passion
2 Self-confidence
3 Knowing Your Numbers
4 Getting in the Zone
5 Controlling Your Emotions
6 Discipline
7 Perseverance
8 Psychology
9 Knowing Yourself
10 The Thirst for Victory
11 Nerves of Steel
12 Caution
13 Endurance
14 Creativity
15 Intuition
16 Taking Risks
17 Luck
18 Experience
Conclusion

Comments

• "Harrington on Hold'em" Volume I: Strategic Play

I like all of Harrington's books, his Cash Game books are exceptional. I like his style of writing, and he has lots of hand analysis scenarios to end each chapter to help illustrate the theory.
  • i enjoyed the book 'winning poker tournaments one hand at a time volume 1'. haven't read volume 2 yet though.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Has anybody read Jonathan Duhamel's book yet - Final Table: A Winning Poker Approach from A WSOP Champion? The last poker book I've read was Phil Gordon's Little Gold Book, and my favourite chapter was about Daniel "Cheating Man" :( Cates.

I think Duhamel originally wrote the short essays in French on the 18 skills or qualities that all players need to win, then it was translated into English (146 pages). Is there a better tournament strategy book to read?

1 Passion
    2 Self-confidence
    3 Knowing Your Numbers
    4 Getting in the Zone
    5 Controlling Your Emotions
    6 Discipline
    7 Perseverance
    8 Psychology
    9 Knowing Yourself
    10 The Thirst for Victory
    11 Nerves of Steel
    12 Caution
    13 Endurance
    14 Creativity
    15 Intuition
    16 Taking Risks
    17 Luck
    18 Experience
    Conclusion

Have you read it? Not sure by your post.
  • No, the last poker book I've read was Phil Gordon's. I'm wondering if Duhamel's book is worth reading.
    Dead Money wrote: »
    Have you read it?
  • If they have it at Chapters I'll take a look when I have time, sounds like a good read based on topics, and also I really respect all the guys he hangs out with and their playing style.

Actually, I'm going to go now and take a quick look at the book, could be useful before the GBH tournament tomorrow. Off I go!
  • Ok I read two chapters while I was there, so far I think it's a really good book for the poker player that plays more than twice a week and takes the game more seriously. It's still not bad for the recreational player, i just think most recreational players might not care about thinking about the game at the level he talks about.

I really like how in depth it speaks about certain topics, and his analysis on the game is very multi-level.

For $12 on amazon and chapters online very worth it, I'll probably go order it. It's nice to have a poker book that actually applies to how people are playing these days.
  • As I was telling Popkorn, I started reading the book but when I got to the third chapter "Knowing Your Numbers", I was shocked that Jonathan got the pot odds/equity examples wrong! I have made millions of poker decisions based on pot odds and I would have been a losing player if I followed the faulty math analysis written in the book. Needless to say, I stopped wasting any more time reading this non-strategy book as I am looking for an advanced strategy book.

Who the book might be good for: you already know to calculate pot odds to make +EV decisions, and are tempted to "throw everything away to go pro." This book may help you see how many of the 18 qualities you have that are needed to be a long-term winning player.
  • Nod to Reddington here

"The Art of War" by Sun Tzu

Mark
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    I have made millions of poker decisions based on pot odds

called a guy's all-in the other day for $138 with $13 in the pot and a flush draw on the flop...of course I hit. so much for :) pot odds :)

btw, bit of an over bet.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    called a guy's all-in the other day for $138 with $13 in the pot and a flush draw on the flop...of course I hit. so much for :) pot odds
    Sigh. I'm waiting for the book
    "The Art of Results-Oriented Thinking." ;)
  • Just bought my first poker book in years. I think the last book I bought was The Poker Tournament Formula II. Like many of my other poker books, I never did finish reading that book, but skipping to the appendix about satellites helped me freeroll a bunch of $10,000 and other events.
  • The first book I ever read on Tournament Poker was "The Poker Tournament Formula I".. At that point in my career(early) it was a great book to read to understand fundamental tournament theory.

My favorite read was Gus Hansen's "Every Hand Revealed". While it isn't the best of books out there, it is by far the funnest to read that I have found.