Bristol St. 2007 Heads-Up Championship - OFFICIAL THREAD

Comments

• Also, as an added bonus, my computer will be running a live feed from the final table of Event #21 ($1,500 NL Shootout) It looks like it's going to be a great table...

Brendan Lee
    Daniel Negreanu
    Don Baruch
    Doug Baughman
    Erick Lindgren
    Fred Goldberg
    Jared Davis
    Michael Wehner
    Thomas Fuller
  • Zithal wrote: »
    Sounds like there are a number of matches happening at my place tonight. The basement's prepped with 7 stations for matches, so things are ready to go on my end.

Don't forget to bring your buy-in if you're coming tonight, and dress light! It's a warm week.

And, if you haven't arranged your match, please do so. The pacing is about one match/week.

Wow, no updates yet!
  • No one feel sorry for Joehearstdie, He's wimping out and taking the "winner's bracket" route. I on the other hand have chosen the loser's bracket. My march through the Left side will be all the sweeter!

Congrats Joe, kick some ass on the right side!
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    When/where is that match being played?

Not sure yet, I know this weekend is a flop for me due to the "Thunder By the Beach" drags that I am in. Also have not heard anything from Cory yet.
  • Brad
    I am getting married this weekend.. I has to be next week during the week as I am on a honeymoon the following week. What works for you????
  • folded wrote: »
    Brad
    I am getting married this weekend.. I has to be next week during the week as I am on a honeymoon the following week. What works for you????

My recommendation is to play tonight, as you'll want to finish your first/second and possibly third round matches before falling too far behind the pace.

In other updates from last night...

"Buzzzardd" d. "SeekTheGrail"
    "Quimby" d. "Zithal"
    "Peteski" d. "Beanie42"
    "joeheartsdi" d. "800Over"
  • Rehearsal party tonight
    How about Monday night Brad?
  • I'd like to get in touch with Kanga to set up a time for our match but I have no way of contacting her... a little help anyone?

Ryan
  • Monday is no good for me :( how about Tuesday to Friday night?
  • -ryan_yo wrote: »
    I'd like to get in touch with Kanga to set up a time for our match but I have no way of contacting her... a little help anyone?
    You don't have enough posts yet so I can't PM you. However, Shannon has our phone # so you could get it from him. Rob can you send me or Jenn Ryan's contact info, please?

Ryan - Jenn asked me to see if Monday night would work for you? I'll be playing Tye at Bristol that night, so she could meet you there.
  • I had been looking forward to this tournament for some time. I couldn’t make it out for casual Friday so I couldn’t wait to see the results of the draw. I ended up seeing the draw on Saturday around noon. I had 2 people in mind that I wanted for my first match and to my surprise one of the people I wanted to play was Mario and sure enough I got him.

I called him Sunday to set up a date, he got back to me Tuesday and we decided to play at his apartment Thursday night at 6:30pm.

We were back forth in the first level , no big swings. The blinds were 25/50 he raised to 300. It was our standard raise at this level, I called with 7 6 off after limping in. Flop is K810. Mario bets 300 and I call. Turn is another 8 Mario bets 600 and I flat call again. Still open ended, river is a 4 I bet 1500 with and Mario insta calls. He shows a pair of Kings I fold saying you are good.

Two hands later, I limp again with J3s again Mario raises 300 and I flat call again. Flop is A 3 8 rainbow. Mario bets 500, I call with bottom pair with the intention of taking it down on the turn. The turn comes a J Mario bets 1000 and insta go all in. Mario thinks for a second and then folds face up KK saying I think you have 2 pair. To which I reply what 2 pair. He says Ace 3, I say I will be nice and show my hand.

Again lots of back and forth with raises to a standard 450 and we get to our final hand. I am first to act and make the standard raise to 450 total and he called. Flop comes :8c :3d :7c, Mario checks and I say pot. I count it out and sure enough there is 900. Mario flat calls. Turn is :8h. Mario goes all–in. I put the deck of cards down and start counting my chips, Mario watching intently. I go I have 4050 left if I lose the hand. I don’t think I can fold even though I think you have A 8. Finally I say call. Mario says are you on a club draw holding :10c and :6c, I say no and flip over my :qh :qs. The river is a :10h. I take down the match.

Thanks for hosting Mario!

Prophet :2h :2s
  • Flint Bones vs Oragami

It was the night of the pocket pairs.

First big hand:

Oragami is down to about 1800 I have AJ I raise and he pushes. I call. Flop 10 7 7 4 10. It's a split.

A few hands later. I have AA in the BB and limp. He checks. Flop K 10 3. Check Check. Turn 7(?). Check Check. River Q. He bets I push. He calls. He has KK.

Another few hands. I win with 88 vs 66. I win with 66 vs 44.

Last hand (200/400). I have 55 in the BB. He raises 800. I call. Flop A 5 3 with 2 hearts. I check. He pushes. I call. He has JJ and no help for him on the turn or river. I take down to match.

Good Game Oragami.
  • "Pokerdro" over "ATM_GP"

Too many hands to actually write about. But a great game none the less and in the end the river gave me the victory. Great game Graham.
  • Ryan - Jenn asked me to see if Monday night would work for you? I'll be playing Tye at Bristol that night, so she could meet you there.[/quote]

Monday is fine. What time are you going for? I'll be there!
  • Next week, Bristol will definately be open for matches on Tuesday. ("Ranger" v. "Zithal")

Also, VERY possibly Monday, but I just want to make sure that Tye can run the night as well as play his match as I'll be out that evening.
  • pokerdro wrote: »
    "Pokerdro" over "ATM_GP"

Too many hands to actually write about. But a great game none the less and in the end the river gave me the victory. Great game Graham.

too many hands to write about...you mean not everyone went for 40 minutes at the 300-600 level :) Although two hands worth mentioning and were educational for me...

ATM holding Pocket 10's, raises min preflop and gets called.
    Flop - 10-6-6 rainbow
    check
    check

Turn 8
    check
    check

River Q
    Pokerdro bets 1000 (about 2500 back)
    ATM pushes all-in.

Pokerdro folds....

I still think I may have been able to get some more chips with that hand..

But then would it have mattered?? Pokerdro came back from <1500 chips, twice before finally getting the lead and then getting me to put 4500+ chips all in with pocket 10's, to his K Q offsuit...Queen hits on the river...

Congrats Pokerdro for an excellent game.

ATM
  • Forgot to write my report...

Lots of back and forth action with Quimby and I as both of us kept changing gears throughout the match.

One memorable hand, Quimby had me covered, though I don't recall the exact count (8k to 4k, possible). Blinds, I think are at 75-150. I was in the midst of a "high-gear" and raised to 450 with J5o.

Flop comes J-high, Quimby checks, I bet 600ish, Quimby raises to 1,500 or so. I push and Quimby goes into the tank. This was the first all-in of the match and the first re-re-raise, so Quimby folded JT, giving me too much credit. :) (Actually, I'd likely, make the same fold, in his situation)

I took over the chip lead and went on a nice agressive tear, building my lead to about 8,500 - 3,500. At the 100-200 level, I make it 600 with AKo, and Quimby pushes all-in. I call and he turns over A7s and "rolls a 1 on his 4-sided die" with a flush on the turn. :( Quimby takes over the chip lead and never looks back.

He turned up the agression after re-taking the chip lead well and chipped me down a bunch. At the 150-300, I call his raise to 900 with 68o. Flop comes K6x and I push, but he calls showing KQ and, I don't roll my 1 and I'm out.

Sad result, but it was a fun match.
  • Cory

If Rob is having Bristol open on Tuesday, I can be there for around 7-8'ish I can head down right after work. That good for you?
  • No new results have been reported in a few days. Any matches set up in the coming days.

• No new results have been reported in a few days. Any matches set up in the coming days.

Moose vs JohnnieH: Wed. June 20. Venue: TBA
  • "The Bus vs. stpboy" Sunday at 10am in Waterloo....
  • stpboy wrote: »
    "The Bus vs. stpboy" Sunday at 10am in Waterloo....

Shouldn't this say "The Bus vs. DC". DC = Defending Champ

Anyway, good luck tomorrow, looking forward to the report.

• stpboy wrote: »
    "The Bus vs. stpboy" Sunday at 10am in Waterloo....

I need to know how this match goes, so I can plan my attack on stpboy :D
  • Chris arrived shortly after 10am this morning and we exchanged pleasantries as we hadn't met before. It was nice to have someone to chat up sports with so early in the morning. Chris, good luck in your attempt to qualify for Worlds fastball!

The match:

25/25 I've got a 750 chip lead after the flop seemed to love me more then him, a lot of small pots. Exactly the way I wanted this one to go. I was looking to wear down Chris with patience. Sometimes the cards have a plan of their own.

I pick up 99 and raise to 75. Chris calls. Flop 9h Jh Qs. Chris bets out 100 and I just call. Turn Qd. Chris bets out 200 and I raise to 600. Chris thinks about it and just calls. River comes the 7h. Chris fires out 600, I think about just calling however have him on the flush draw and well, I do have a boat. I re-raise to 2000. Chris thinks about it and re-raises all in. I call after getting the chip count correct. Chris flips over Q7o for the higher boat.

I'm down to 750 chips but still confident that ala Beanie42 from last year I can come back from this amount. I pick up a small pot with A high and then look down to see a couple of pretty ladies, one red one black. I limp in from the small at the 25/25 level still. Chris raises it up to 75. I call.

flop Jd 9h 4d

Chris bets 100. I think about it and decide that this is as far as I want to slow play this hand, if he's hit anything he'll likely call my measly stack of 800. I raise all in and Chris calls showing 99 for a set of 9's. I don't improve and move to the losers bracket. I won't be able to say that I'm the back-to-back undefeated champion ;)

Good match Chris and GL in the winners bracket, I have a long way to go now!! Luck wasn't on my side this day.

stp
  • So Mark and I sat down to play our match today. I had been told by many people that our match should be interesting due to us being "mathematical" players. I went in deciding to try and play the opposite to try to counteract some of the reads that Mark would have on me.

Also - it was very ironic that Mark and I were matched in the first round, since I had already told him that I was buying him into this tournament for his birthday!!

During the 25/25 level and the 25/50 level the pots stayed pretty small, but I timed some bluffs so that I could take the advantage, but nothing big - I was about 1000 ahead at the high point.

I had shown some of the bluffs at these levels to try and get paid off on one of my big hands. During the 50/100 level Mark played back at some of my bluffs to the point where he went ahead - then the big hand happened.

Mark raised the pot preflop to 400, I called with Ac7c. The flop came down Kc Td 4c. I semi-bluffed 600 and Mark called. Turn came with Qc and I bet 600 again, which Mark called. The river came with another club. I made it 1200 and Mark raised to 3000 representing the flush. I went all in and Mark folded.

Mark was now down to just over 1000, and power poker took over. For a number of hands I either raised Mark all in before the flop or after the flop. We got just into the 75/150 level when the last hand came up. I put Mark all in with the Qh 4h, and he called with As 2s. A Q came on the flop, and Mark never improved.

Good match Mark - I don't think anyone else expected it to be over so early!!
  • BrennerM wrote: »
    Perhaps I am misreading this part, but shouldn't this hand have ended the match in Tye's favour? A straight beats a set and if Haddon only had 925 chips then Tye was obviously the chip leader, and thus should win the match? Unless you were playing with different starting stacks?

signed,

Confused in Elmira

Haddon had 925 after the hand played out. He was the chip leader going in.
  • How could he have 925 after the hand? That would mean you won an 11,075 pot all-in vs Josh. That's not evenly divisible between 2 players. Somethings fishy. I think this proves once and for all that haddon never lived in Vegas ;)

/g2
  • A good game Al... perhaps we'll meet again in this tourney!

For what it's worth, I pushed all in from the button with A2spades, which Mario thoroughly approved of, and Al called me! :)

Mark
  • The online brackets have been updated with the results from this weekend. The pace is ok, but there are a fair number of matches that waited until this week to play.

This may mean (depending if you win or lose) that you'll need to play 3 matches over the next two weeks to stay on pace.

Rob.
  • Oh! Forgot to mention that Bristol is only officially open on Tuesday night this week.