Full House AKA Tight

I wonder how many other people out there grew up knowing a "full house" as a "tight"?

I know I did, and I still use the term almost exclusively. Is this a localized thing, or Canadian or what?

Comments

• I think you just made that up. :)

never heard of a full house referred to that way...

hork.
  • I like saying "boat" or even better "Das boot"
  • No, really. I am not making it up. I have seen it occasionally refeered to as "a canadian" term. I am originally from the Brantford area, and when I was growing up, watching the adults play, I never heard the term full house!

Here is an example- http://www.unitedpokerforum.com/archive/2003-10/07/31789/

you have to read down.
  • Hey, Das Boot is one of my favorite movies! And yes, I have commonly heard a full house referred to as both a "boat" and a "tight".

In that vain, I'm going to refer my full houses from now on as

ALAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARM!

ScottyZ

P.S. Glad to see we may have found a new person who possibly posts on this forum more than me. :)
  • How about this one...

A "gutshot draw" refers ONLY to an inside straight draw to the middle (third) card of the straight -- not to a draw to the second or fourth card of the draw. Those are just "inside draws".

Mike Sexton said something in his commentary on the WPT in Aruba that made me think this.

What do you think?
  • You think Mike Sexton knows what he's talking about?

Aiyah!

8)

I've never heard of distinguishing between a gutshot, belly buster, or inside straight. Can you even think of any situation in poker where this would matter? Have you ever had a poker story interrupted by something like, "Hold on. Did he have a draw to the *middle* straight card, or did he have 3 cards on top and one on the bottom of the card he needed?" :)

The only distinction I do like to make is that I would *not* call gutshot a "straight draw". A straight draw is an 8 out draw.

ScottyZ
  • Of course it makes no difference to the odds, but that's not the point.

There may be "old" lingo that is
    not used now the way it was 50 years ago, is what I was aiming at.

Kind of makes sense to me that a "gutshot" draw is aiming right at the middle card. As opposed to "inside straight draw" which I've heard older players say instead of what I'd have called a gutshot.

Anyway, as you say, it matters not a whit....
  • Okay, but I say we start calling it that anyway because it sounds like fun. :)

Wow, that was a "GUTSHOT"! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

ScottyZ
  • I also propose a new and improved 3-tier system:

5679 = Headshot
    5689 = Gutshot
    5789 = Buttshot

ScottyZ
  • Ooooh, Scotty!

I like it.

You're so creative!

:D
  • How about we just call it 'indigestion'?