Thoughts on a KW league?

I'm interested in starting a weekly/biweekly poker league in KW.

My preference would be for a Sunday afternoon game or a Saturday night game as one player I'd like there is from out of town....just curious if there is interest, what formats people would like to see, etc.

This would be one table of 8-10 players.

Thoughts/comments?

Comments

• I would definitely be interested. My preference would be Saturday nights, although I know that sounds anti-Canadian since it is HNIC night.
  • How much?

Who cares... I'm in

Mark
  • I would definitely be interested. My preference would be Saturday nights, although I know that sounds anti-Canadian since it is HNIC night.

not necessarily...you can see the TV easily from any chair :)
  • I think this is a great idea. I'd definately be interested in Sunday afternoons..preferably bi-weekly so we don't have EVERY weekend booked ('cause honestly, who can show up for that?) [Haddon just chimed in..he's in for every other sunday as well]
  • I'd be interested too.
    Sunday afternoon would be preferable
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    How much?

Who cares... I'm in

Mark

I dunno buddy, let's discuss...have any ideas? This is very prelim now...I'd love to see the format for the Stars SuperStars, perhaps that could be somehow modified for league play.

minor p.s. this does also still have to be approved by the one who holds power in my house...but I am buying her flowers, wine, and taking her out to dinner for an early Birthday treat tomorrow night so I'll ask when she's all drunk and satisfied. :)
  • A League is a good chance to imporove your poker playing with a good group of friends. You'll find that every one in the league will start playing better.
  • Interested, but unfortunately weekends are bad for me. A week-night league would probably work though...
  • Off the top of my head.

How about 10 game season for $100?

With 10 players, put 2.50/week into the weekly prize of $25 spilt 15/10
    Leaving 750 for the finals.
    Top 4 play play heads up doulbe elimination.
    Payouts 400/200/100/50
  • I'd be interested in something Tues or Thurs night. Weekends are no good usually.

/g2
  • Big E wrote: »
    I'd love to see the format for the Stars SuperStars
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poker_Superstars_Invitational_Tournament

/g2
  • Wow, ask and you shall receive, thanks Greg!
    Wow, ask and you shall receive, thanks Greg!
    You're welcome :)

/g2
  • Sunday afternoons would be perfect.

Do you really want to kill all your Saturday nights???

Sunday afternoon and I am in.
  • I'm liking the Sunday afternoons myself....now any format ideas?
  • I'd been in for Sunday afternoons.

When the weather is nice, I'm assuming it'll be out on the deck?

Johnnie
  • TNORTH wrote: »
    Sunday afternoons would be perfect.

Do you really want to kill all your Saturday nights???

Sunday afternoon and I am in.

I'm in agreement and can do Sunday's. I think a $15-$25 a game league over 8 prelim games (4 months) which totals $120-$200 per player seems reasonable. Assuming 10 players, you would have between $150-$250 in the pot each game where you could pay out top two players 50% and 30%. The other 20% going into the finals...or is that to much? You could also do 40/30/20 or 50/20/10% if we wanted three players paid each game, that may be better.

Would you want the finals chip stacks to be determined on placing in the league like the KWGM's or completely seperate? Also, i'm not sure how big you want to make this but would you want a trophy of some sort for leagues top point finisher and for finals Champion? I also think a must make 6/8 games to qualify for the finals rule should be in affect....

Anyway, just my rambled thoughts...

stp
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    I'd been in for Sunday afternoons.

When the weather is nice, I'm assuming it'll be out on the deck?

Johnnie

absolutely brother!
  • I'd be interested if it is $25 or less each game. Sunday afternoons would be great for me.

Ranger Mike
  • Ok, well good news and bad I guess....I am going to run a league, likely Sunday afternoons BUT not until the spring, or at least the nicer weather...as it will be outside on my deck!!!!!! I think anything in the house over the winter likely will not fly with the wife and kids and I can certainly appreciate that.

So the CHPC will convert to league play in the spring and work towards a fall final, this will be CHPC season 3.

That said we have plenty of time to work out the details. Originally I was thinking something like the Poker Stars Superstars setup but I'm changing my mind and thinking just a nice bi-weekly meeting, perhaps 1-2 sng's per night with a set entry fee. Out of that entry fee I'd like to put a buck or two into a bad-beat jackpot (as well as paying for a small trophy) that is awarded as the season ending TOC. Also a few bucks are put away so the season ending TOC is basically a free roll for the top 10 in points.

I'm thinking each bi-weekly sng(s) could be a different game and there would be a max of 10 players per week. The TOC starting chip counts would be calculated by adding an amount of chips equal to the percentage of total points you have so the players who come out more often and have more points will start with more chips?

Nothing firm yet but thoughts, ideas, anything anyone?
  • Thinking out loud......

~bi-weekly game $15, $10 to that days prize pool, $5 to TOC prize pool.
    ~optional $2 for high hand, $1 goes to high hand for that day, $1 goes to high hand for season....or.......just optional $1 for high hand for that days sng.
    ~same as above but for bad beat jackpot.
    ~$1 one time fee for trophy (balance owing if any out of TOC prize pool, refund if any to TOC prize pool...making sure that we keep EVERYTHING RAKE FREE)
    ~change format of game every other meeting so schedule would be something like hold'em, omaha, hold'em, pineapple, hold'em, stud, etc or stay strictly with hold'em.
    ~try for two games a meeting or 1 league game, then cash game following?
    Thinking out loud......

~bi-weekly game $15, $10 to that days prize pool, $5 to TOC prize pool.
    ~optional $2 for high hand, $1 goes to high hand for that day, $1 goes to high hand for season....or.......just optional $1 for high hand for that days sng.
    ~same as above but for bad beat jackpot.
    ~$1 one time fee for trophy (balance owing if any out of TOC prize pool, refund if any to TOC prize pool...making sure that we keep EVERYTHING RAKE FREE)
    ~change format of game every other meeting so schedule would be something like hold'em, omaha, hold'em, pineapple, hold'em, stud, etc or stay strictly with hold'em.
    ~try for two games a meeting or 1 league game, then cash game following?

I like every idea here, except the $1 for a trophy. I don't any of our egos needs a piece of plastic that proves we won a home game league. (Ok, maybe Drtyore!).

Also the High Hand/Bad Beat Jackpots are a sweet idea. Although, you might as well give the Bad Beat money to Mario right now...you know he'll lay a doosey on someone. *cough* ME !!*cough*

Johnnie

ps.....HAPPY 2000TH POST TO ME!:)
  • I need a trophy to remind me of how fucking awesome I am. I would like if I could see myself in it as well. That way I can say to myself, 'Wow you are so good at poker and damn sexy too.'.

I'll pay Johnnie's dollar if he cries anymore.

Werrrrd!
  • Maybe we can lower the price to 50cents and buy a plaque.

When I win I will drill a hole in it and wear it to ALL future tournaments.. ala Flava Flav
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    When I win I will drill a hole in it and wear it to ALL future tournaments.. ala Flava Flav
    What tourney did Flav win?
  • You would be surprised how many treasurers you can find at the dollar store or a garage sale. We have some highly coveted prizes for a family friends golf tournament that have come from such sources. The actual beauty of a trophy is much less important than the amount of jealously you can invoke from others when you can proudly show off your prize. I vote for a tiara.
  • I LOVE THE TIARA IDEA!!

Mark
  • The actual beauty of a trophy is much less important than the amount of jealously you can invoke from others when you can proudly show off your prize. I vote for a tiara.

that is THE SINGLE BEST IDEA EVER PUT FORTH ON THIS FORUM.

I heart the tiara idea!
    (it's funny no matter who wins it female or male.)
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    I LOVE THE TIARA IDEA!!

Mark

Brother...why am I not surprised :)
  • Excellent, now we all have something to look forward to this spring!