Poker League - Gauging Interest

Hello Everyone
This is similar to the Poker Superstars format that is on TV.
Mind you with this type of set-up it would take much longer to declare on overall winner (probably 6 months), but you get more games in for your money.
This will also only work if others are willing to host games as well.
Not every game has to be played the same night but groups should at least keep up with the other groups.
Take a look at the first level, you play for 3 games with the same players and then switch for the next round.
So not all 3 groups have to play the same night but as long as they finish their rounds so the other groups are not waiting too long.
Also you do not have to play every game, but if you don’t, you would miss the opportunity for earning points.
The $10 buy-in each game is just to fatten-up the final pot, the further you make it in the tourney the more you contribute to the final pot and the more you should try and earn points.
By earning points you are not just guaranteeing yourself into the next level but you are also earning yourself a larger starting chip stack compared to everyone else.
Also each group should have some kind of Table Captain (sort of speak) to organize their group game times, who’s hosting, collecting $$$....etc…etc.
Easier for me to just worry about my own 8 players than having to organize 24 players to play in 3 different locations.
But people should inform others when their group is having a game so if another group would like to play at the same time than if they have the space they could join as well.
For all 3 tables, a number will be issued for each seat beforehand; each player will draw a number which will tell you which group you are in and seating arrangements.
I was thinking that each of these games could be played every other week and with a min 6 players to host a group game.
Please state if interested in joining which buy-in you prefer. $50 or $100 effect final pot size.
Every game is rake free! No money will be made for this event except for the final winners!
I live in Cambridge area so anyone can join within KW, Hamilton, Guelph, Cambridge…etc area
Regular Season – 24 players
1. Regular Season will consist of 3 Rounds
2. Each Round will consist of 3 Matches
3. Players will be divided into 3 random groups for 9 games of 8 players each.
4. The same 8 players that were random selected in each group will play for all 3 matches in each round.
After each round has finished all 24 players will randomly re-selected for new groups the next round.
5. Each player should have played 9 matches to complete the regular season
6. Players will earn points that will be converted in additional starting chips for the Quarter Finals
7. Point Distribution – same for every level/round
• 1st – 2000
• 2nd – 1500
• 3rd – 1000
• 4th – 750
• 5th – 500
• 6th – 250
• 7th/8th – 0
8. The top 16 point earners will advance to the Quarter Finals round. In the event of a tie or ties for the last qualifying positions a pre-arranged tie breaking system will determine which player or players will advance.
Quarter Finals – 16 players
1. The Quarter Finals will consist of the top 16 ranking players from the Regular season.
2. Qualifiers will be divided into 2 random groups for 4 games of 8 players each.
3. Quarter Finals will consist of 2 Rounds
4. Each Round will consist of 2 Matches
5. The same 8 players that were random selected in each group will play for both matches in each round.
After each round has finished all 16 players will randomly re-selected for new groups the next round.
6. Players will start with a chip disparity on how many points they earned in the previous round.
7. Each player should have played 4 games to complete this round.
8. Point Distribution – same as above
The top 8 point earners will advance to the Semi-Finals.
Semi-Finals – 8 players FREE
1. The Semi-Finals will consist of the top 8 ranking players from the Quarter finals season.
2. Players will start with a chip disparity on how many points they earned in the previous round.
3. This round will consist of 2 games with random seating.
4. Point Distribution – same as above
5. The top 4 point earners will advance to the Finals.
Finals – 4 players - Heads-up Matches FREE
1. The Finals will consist of best out-of-3 heads-up matches
2. Players will start with a chip disparity on how many points they earned in the previous round.
3. From the Semi-finals 1st will be matched up with 3rd and 2nd will be matched up with 4th.
4. The winner of each match will advance to the Final Round to win 1st place.
5. The losers of the first match will play heads-up to play for 3rd place.
Special Rules
You do not have to play in every game but your seat will be left empty to be blinded out.
So you could still pay your $10 for your seat and not play and end up still getting points depending on what place you got blinded out in.
Should be multiple parties taking turns hosting these games.
I can host some but not every game, especially the ones that I’m not participating in for example in the Regular season.
Not everyone will be playing in each game since it’s all random selected.
But I do have multiple tables so 2 or 3 games can be played at the same time.
I will just collect the info regarding the winners from the person the hosted that game.
A payment of $50/$100 buy-in at the beginning will be collected to play in this Tournament.
$50 X 24 = $1200 $100 X 24 = $2400
Also $10 will be collected every game that you wish to play in.
Regular Season
Each player should have played 9 games and 24 player’s total:
$10 X 9 = 90 X 24(players) = $2160
Quarter Finals
Each player should have played 4 games and 16 player’s total:
$10 X 4 = 40 X 16(players) = $640
Semi-Finals and Finals are free for all players!
Total pot: $1200 + $2160 + $640 = $4000 or
Total pot: $2400 + $2160 + $640 = $5200

$50 Buy-in $100 Buy-in
Winners Winners
1st - $1900 1st - $2400
2nd - $950 2nd - $1200
3rd - $500 3rd - $600
4th - $300 4th - $400
5th - $200 5th - $300
6th - $100 6th - $200
7th - $100

Comments

• Players draw random numbers for group/seating arrangements

Round 1 Matches 1-3
    Group 1 Group 2 Group 3
    1 9 17
    2 10 18
    3 11 19
    4 12 20
    5 13 21
    6 14 22
    7 15 23
    8 16 24
    Round 2 Matches 4-6
    Group 1 Group 2 Group 3
    1 2 3
    4 5 6
    7 8 9
    10 11 12
    13 14 15
    16 17 18
    19 20 21
    22 23 24
    Round 3 Matches 7-9
    Group 1 Group 2 Group 3
    1 2 3
    6 5 4
    7 8 9
    12 11 10
    13 14 15
    18 17 16
    19 20 21
    24 23 22

Round 1 Match 1-2
    Group 1 Group 2
    1 9
    2 10
    3 11
    4 12
    5 13
    6 14
    7 15
    8 16
    Round 2 Match 3-4
    Group 1 Group 2
    1 2
    3 4
    5 6
    7 8
    9 10
    11 12
    13 14
    15 16

Semi-Finals – 8 players
    Match 1 Match 2
    1 2
    2 4
    3 6
    4 8
    5 1
    6 3
    7 5
    8 7

Finals – 4 players Best-out-of-3 Heads-up Matches
    1st against 3rd
    2nd against 4th
  • You seem to have forgotten the biggest piece of info. Where are you located and where do you expect to draw players from.
  • AcidJoe wrote: »
    You seem to have forgotten the biggest piece of info. Where are you located and where do you expect to draw players from.
    Here you go Joe:
    taylodan wrote: »
    I live in Cambridge area so anyone can join within KW, Hamilton, Guelph, Cambridge…etc area
  • Thanks Beanie42
    Ya I live in Cambridge but have friends that live also in Kitchener and Geulph willing to host games too.

This may be a lot a info to chew all at once but I will be dealing with the orgaization of it.
    Once the groups are made up than that group can worry about completing their own 3 games to finish off that round. Than we will re-arange the groups again for the next round and so on.
    It may seem complicated but it's not really that bad.
    Dan T
  • Sounds pretty good, however:
    The $10 buy-in each game is just to fatten-up the final pot, the further you make it in the tourney the more you contribute to the final pot and the more you should try and earn points.
    you could still pay your $10 for your seat and not play and end up still getting points depending on what place you got blinded out in.
    really sucks, and not to be a pain, but I'm not sure I'd play under these rules. If somebody gets lucky early they can just stop coming/paying since their advancement seat is guaranteed. Further, blinding out and getting points is wrong, especially if you don't pay for the game. Those without enough points to advance will probably be playing a bit more aggressive and may bust early, so having a non-paying/playing person get more points isn't fair.

If you want to pad the prize-pool, then make the buy-in $100 or $200 (or more), but don't have an optional/additional per-game cost.

Timing for this thing will be killer, but depending on when this goes I'd be interested in playing and could host one of the groups. Jenn might play as well, but again it all depends on the details/scheduling. I'd be good with any of the buy-ins ($50/$100/$200).
  • I understand you concern and all this rules are not written in stone.
    I just kind of revised the rules which Poker Superstars show uses.
    The rules we can work on if people think they need changing.
    Also regarding your other comment about being lucky early and not showing up any more. You would have to get pretty lucky several times to quarantee a spot. If you placed 1st twice and stop coming you would have 4000 pts. If another player for example placed 5th or better every game they would have 4500 pts minimum, beating the other player that got lucky earlier. Just a thought.
    Also the $10 buy-in was just to fatten up the final pot, I had added that part. Does not have to be there. But we could have a $25 buy-in each game so players that win each game can take money home that day and $5 going to the final pot. I noticed some tourney's do that and call it a TOC. Let me know what you think or another better idea! We could also leave it to the initial $100 buy-in but than the final pot would only be $2400 for all the final winners. I think an $200 initial buy-in would be better so more money to win since it will take several months to declare the overall winner. It would kind of suck to play for several months and only win a little.
    Thanks for you ideas, first time trying this format and can only improve upon it.
    Dan
    beanie42 wrote: »
    Sounds pretty good, however:
    really sucks, and not to be a pain, but I'm not sure I'd play under these rules. If somebody gets lucky early they can just stop coming/paying since their advancement seat is guaranteed. Further, blinding out and getting points is wrong, especially if you don't pay for the game. Those without enough points to advance will probably be playing a bit more aggressive and may bust early, so having a non-paying/playing person get more points isn't fair.
    If you want to pad the prize-pool, then make the buy-in $100 or $200 (or more), but don't have an optional/additional per-game cost.
    Timing for this thing will be killer, but depending on when this goes I'd be interested in playing and could host one of the groups. Jenn might play as well, but again it all depends on the details/scheduling. I'd be good with any of the buy-ins ($50/$100/$200).
  • taylodan wrote: »
    You would have to get pretty lucky several times to guarantee a spot.
    Really lucky... My main point is that each player should be in for the same amount (but that's just my preference ;) ).
    But we could have a $25 buy-in each game so players that win each game can take money home that day and $5 going to the final pot. I noticed some tourney's do that and call it a TOC. Let me know what you think or another better idea! We could also leave it to the initial $100 buy-in but than the final pot would only be $2400 for all the final winners. I think an $200 initial buy-in would be better so more money to win since it will take several months to declare the overall winner. It would kind of suck to play for several months and only win a little.
    I'd go with either the per-game buy-in or the flat fee up-front (I prefer the single fee personally, and it would be easier to administrate for no-shows, etc.), and I agree that if it's an initial buy-in it should be a bit bigger (considering how many games you need to win). I also think a small amount for the winner of each game is nice - a little immediate gratification for such a long series.

Since each player is guaranteed 9 games, I like the idea of $15-20 + $5-10 (the "+" is NOT A RAKE, it is the per/game prize portion ;) ), so $20-$30 total each game. This works out to $180-270, so you could set a single buy-in at either $200 or $250, and pay each individual games winner around $50.
    Thanks for you ideas, first time trying this format and can only improve upon it.
    Definitely, and this thing will be a hoot. As a suggestion, check out the KW Grudge match or PM DrTyore since he's run something similar (albeit a lot smaller) a few times.

Looking forward to playing with you again - haven't seen you since Kelly's...
  • I would be interested in participating or helping organize a poker league. What about structuring it such that the champion wins a seat to the World Poker Tour or other major tournament?

There has been one league that has been sending its champion to a WSOP event in Las Vegas for the past seven seasons. I just joined the league, but it has a weird structure where you have to survive for 2 1/2 hours in your table to earn any points or bonus chips; if you finish second but are eliminated, you get 0 points just like all the other eliminated players. :confused:
    Please state if interested in joining which buy-in you prefer. $50 or $100 effect final pot size.
    Every game is rake free! No money will be made for this event except for the final winners!
    1. Regular Season will consist of 3 Rounds
    2. Each Round will consist of 3 Matches
    3. Players will be divided into 3 random groups for 9 games of 8 players each.
    4. The same 8 players that were random selected in each group will play for all 3 matches in each round.
    After each round has finished all 24 players will randomly re-selected for new groups the next round.
    5. Each player should have played 9 matches to complete the regular season
    6. Players will earn points that will be converted in additional starting chips for the Quarter Finals
    7. Point Distribution – same for every level/round
    • 1st – 2000
    • 2nd – 1500
    • 3rd – 1000
    • 4th – 750
    • 5th – 500
    • 6th – 250
    • 7th/8th – 0
    8. The top 16 point earners will advance to the Quarter Finals round. In the event of a tie or ties for the last qualifying positions a pre-arranged tie breaking system will determine which player or players will advance.
    1. The Quarter Finals will consist of the top 16 ranking players from the Regular season.
    2. Qualifiers will be divided into 2 random groups for 4 games of 8 players each.
    3. Quarter Finals will consist of 2 Rounds
    4. Each Round will consist of 2 Matches
    5. The same 8 players that were random selected in each group will play for both matches in each round.
    After each round has finished all 16 players will randomly re-selected for new groups the next round.
    6. Players will start with a chip disparity on how many points they earned in the previous round.
    7. Each player should have played 4 games to complete this round.
    8. Point Distribution – same as above
    The top 8 point earners will advance to the Semi-Finals.
    Semi-Finals – 8 players FREE
    1. The Semi-Finals will consist of the top 8 ranking players from the Quarter finals season.
    3. This round will consist of 2 games with random seating.
    4. Point Distribution – same as above
    5. The top 4 point earners will advance to the Finals.
    Finals – 4 players - Heads-up Matches FREE
    1. The Finals will consist of best out-of-3 heads-up matches
    3. From the Semi-finals 1st will be matched up with 3rd and 2nd will be matched up with 4th.
    4. The winner of each match will advance to the Final Round to win 1st place.
    5. The losers of the first match will play heads-up to play for 3rd place.
    Special Rules
    You do not have to play in every game but your seat will be left empty to be blinded out.
    So you could still pay your $10 for your seat and not play and end up still getting points depending on what place you got blinded out in.
    Should be multiple parties taking turns hosting these games.
    I can host some but not every game, especially the ones that I’m not participating in for example in the Regular season.
    Not everyone will be playing in each game since it’s all random selected.
    But I do have multiple tables so 2 or 3 games can be played at the same time.
    I will just collect the info regarding the winners from the person the hosted that game.
    A payment of $50/$100 buy-in at the beginning will be collected to play in this Tournament.
    $50 X 24 = $1200 $100 X 24 = $2400
    Also $10 will be collected every game that you wish to play in.
    Regular Season
    Each player should have played 9 games and 24 player’s total:
    $10 X 9 = 90 X 24(players) = $2160
    Quarter Finals
    Each player should have played 4 games and 16 player’s total:
    $10 X 4 = 40 X 16(players) = $640
    Semi-Finals and Finals are free for all players!
    Total pot: $1200 + $2160 + $640 = $4000 or
    Total pot: $2400 + $2160 + $640 = $5200

$50 Buy-in $100 Buy-in
    Winners Winners
    1st - $1900 1st - $2400
    2nd - $950 2nd - $1200
    3rd - $500 3rd - $600
    4th - $300 4th - $400
    5th - $200 5th - $300
    6th - $100 6th - $200
    7th - $100
  • I like the initial $200 buy in, $20 buy-in each game, $50 goes to individual game winners.
    So the rest of the pot from each game would be added to the final pot for the overall winners.($110)
    That's a lot of math!
    24 X $200 = $4800

Regular Season
    8(players) X $20(Buy-in) = $160
    160 X 3(3 group games) = $480 – $150( Indiv. game winners) = $330
    $330 X 3 (3 matches in each round) = $990
    $990 X 3 (3 rounds total for Regular S.) = $2970
    $2970 being added to the final pot.

Quarter Finals
    8(players) X $20(Buy-in) = $160
    160 X 2(2 group games) = $320 – 100( Indiv. game winners) = $220
    $220 X 2 (2 matches in each round) = $440
    $440 X 2 (2 rounds total for Quarter Finals) = $880
    $880 being added to the final pot.

Final Pot
    $4800 + $2970 + $880 = $8650
    Damn that’s a lot of money.
    How does that sound or did I make a mistake somewhere or misinterpreted what you meant?
    Dan
    Game on!
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    What about structuring it such that the champion wins a seat to the World Poker Tour or other major tournament?
    Not every tournament needs to be a satellite - cash is king. If the winner chooses to use it for a WPT event, fine, if not, that's ok too.
    How does that sound or did I make a mistake somewhere or misinterpreted what you meant?
    You misinterpreted slightly. I meant either/or (for the per-game or single buy-in), not both. As I mentioned earlier, administration will be easier if you get all the money up-front (so to me that's the preferred method). Also, the future rounds (quarter-finals, etc.) are a reward for the better performers, so probably shouldn't have an additional buy-in. This significantly changes the math.

For simplicity, say a single $250 buy-in, with $50 given to each game winner. So the total prize pool would be $6000 ($250 *24 players) with $1350 ($50 * 9 games * 3 groups) distributed for each of the preliminary games. This puts $4650 in the final prize pool.

Note that the $250 is just for the math. It could be $200 or $300 (or higher/lower - depends on what the players want to do). But in general, I'd say set a single amount for the overall tournament buy-in, and just collect all the money once (up-front ;) ).
  • Sounds good!
    $250 buy-in, with $50 going to every individual game winner in the first round. The final pot being $4650.
    I have already several players, just have to find more.
    Also have get list of players that are willing to host games.
    I have 3 so far.
    As soon as we get 24 paid players we can start.
    Dan
    beanie42 wrote: »
    For simplicity, say a single $250 buy-in, with $50 given to each game winner. So the total prize pool would be $6000 ($250 *24 players) with $1350 ($50 * 9 games * 3 groups) distributed for each of the preliminary games. This puts $4650 in the final prize pool. But in general, I'd say set a single amount for the overall tournament buy-in, and just collect all the money once (up-front ;) ).

The best piece of advice I can give is start small and build up. I think you should try something a little smaller, with less people and a smaller buy-in. Use the first time through to work out the kinks then, hopefully, the positive press you'll get along with the feedback on how things work will help draw players to "Season 2"

You may want to even do something as simple as host a regular home game or two to introduce yourself to the community and develop relationships with the players.

Rob.
  • Hey, I would love to be a part of this, I am a university of guelph student so i am in the area. When would the games be held? Also, I would much prefer a $50 buyin (max $100). Maybe $5 each time and have the winner of that round take the pot of $5's. Anyways, timing this for NOT around midterms would be key as well. Let me know!
    -Sam
  • I have played in several tourney's on this site in the past, it hasn't been for a while but I plan to more. I have also hosted sevaral tourney's for my work (Linamar) in the past one 50 player and another 175 player. So hosting games is not really new to me. Also this format is not too complicated in the first place. I also host games regular at my house but with a different poker community. I posted one game many months ago which I believe Prophet? won, but that was quite awhile ago.
    I already have several players for the event, just looking for new faces to fill empty seats.
    But I understand what you are talking about since I am kind of unknown here in this forum.
    Zithal wrote: »
    The best piece of advice I can give is start small and build up. I think you should try something a little smaller, with less people and a smaller buy-in. Use the first time through to work out the kinks then, hopefully, the positive press you'll get along with the feedback on how things work will help draw players to "Season 2"
    You may want to even do something as simple as host a regular home game or two to introduce yourself to the community and develop relationships with the players.
    Rob.
  • We will welcome any new faces. The games will be held as soon as we get 24 paid players and up to your group to plan the first 3 games. We were trying to keep the buy-in a little larger to make it more worth while since this format will take sevearl months to finish. Would kind of suck to play for 4 months and win only $300 or whatever, you know what I mean. And also for $250 you are guaranteed 9 games which is like $27 per game. It's up to each player to earn points and advance to the next level.
    So for an example below could be for the winners at $250 buy-in.
    Total pot: $4650
    Winners
    1st - $1900 41%
    2nd - $950 20%
    3rd - $600 13%
    4th - $500 11%
    5th - $400 9%
    6th - $300 6%
    Sammy wrote: »
    Hey, I would love to be a part of this, I am a university of guelph student so i am in the area. When would the games be held? Also, I would much prefer a $50 buyin (max $100). Maybe $5 each time and have the winner of that round take the pot of $5's. Anyways, timing this for NOT around midterms would be key as well. Let me know!
    -Sam
    Also this format is not too complicated in the first place.
    I would hate to see a complicated format then.

/g2
  • i would be interested in joining if its not too late!

dobee2005@gmail.com ifyou need to sendmesome info

thanks

Joe