i need your support in a fundraising tournament in the toronto/mississauga area

hey everybody

some of you may remember witchdoctor's charity tournament that he held in october 2005 to benefit a family whose child was diagnosed with cancer. i played in that tourney and met some forum members there. (i might add that i came in third, patting self on the back)

now it is my turn to hold such a fundraiser. i was asked by a family friend to organize a fundraising poker tournament to help a child with autism.

his name is parker and he is 4 years old. parker needs intensive therapy in order to live a normal life. this therapy was previously funded by the ontario government. recent cutbacks have left parker's family to pay for his therapy, which runs at about $80,000 a year.

this fundaiser is not only intended to ease the burden on his family but also to raise awareness about autism.

this poker tournament will be part of the larger fundraising event, which includes a dinner, a presentation and raffle draws.

here's a quick summary about the tourney:
date: saturday march 3, 2007
time: poker tournament (12 noon registration, 1pm tournament start)
place: mississauga (dixie & 401)
poker tournament buy in: $50 in advance or $60 at the door (bonus chips will be awarded for extra donation pledges), with unlimited $50 rebuys (since this is a fundraiser)

because of the time constraints, i decided to run the tourney as a shootout.
shootout period: T1000 buyin and T1000 rebuys, blinds starting at 10/20 (25 minute levels, reduced by 5 minutes every 4 levels or so)
championship round: T2000 freezeout, blinds starting at 10/20 (25 minute levels)

we're paying out the top 10 players; here's just the top 3 prize packages:

1st place ($1000 value)
xbox 360 + saitek wireless speakers + logitech harmony remote + 1 copag/modiano logo baseball cap

2nd place ($1000 value)
pair of raptor tickets vs supersonics + 2 18-hole golf green fees w/ power cart + pair of toronto fc soccer tickets + hockey art signed by guy lafleur + 1 copag/modiano logo baseball cap

3rd place ($900 value)
johnnie walker family basket (1 750ml bottle each of the blue, gold, green, black & red labels) + altec lansing inmotion ipod speakers + fujifilm digital camera + 6 set gift set from caragails (plastic cards + dealer button set + cut cards) + 1 copag/modiano logo baseball cap

and we have more great prizes (more raptor tickets, oakley sunglasses, dewalt professional cordless drill, poker chipset & more!)

and by popular demand: ladies tables!

thanks to the following people for sponsoring/helping out with our event
ted from biggamesonline.com
jeff from caragails.com
charly from straightpokersupplies.com
alex from tridentcards.com

4ceps

please pm me if you are interested or have any questions. i can provide a link to the fundraiser website as well as the actual blinds schedule, prizes (so far), etc..

Comments

• bump

updated the original post with prize information & more

looking forward to seeing some you there!
  • Sounds good I might just find myself there hitting the tables. Also I might of missed it but how many people do you expect to enter this tournament? Also how many people buy back? Thanks for the invite though!!!
  • I'm also interested to know how many players you expect.

Later
  • More than happy to support a worthy cause. Is the date etched in Stone?
    Unless I'm mistaken, the date for the Ryder Cup III is the same day and does attract many of the regular visitors on this forum.

Good Luck
    Milton Slim
  • ummm..what is a 'ladies table'? If it's what I suspect (a table full of ladies)..could one request to NOT play there?
  • too bad its on the same day as the Ryder Cup. There will be a lot of players busy that day from this forum.
  • didn't realize it was the same day as the ryder cup

if some are still interested, p.m. me and i will send the details

so far we have about 60 players

as for rebuys...i'm not sure how many will. i figure that for a fundraiser, people tend to be a bit more generous. but i really don't know

ladies tables were requested because some of the newer female players wouldn't play because they were intimidated by this large event. i am big on random seating for everyone, but the fundraising chairperson requested this and i couldn't say no. it's an optional thing for a woman player. you can get a seat at the ladies table only if you are a woman (duh!) and only if you request to be seated there. otherwise you'll be seated at the regular tables.

shootout format: just in case some of you are not familiar with that format....
    each table will play down until there is one winner (this is the shootout or qualifying round).
    each of these winners will then move to the final table (championship round) where each player's finish will determine the prize won

thanks for the interest

4ceps
  • I'll be playing at the Royal Cup that day, but to let you know, a shootout format can run much longer than a regular format. Having dealt at a shootout tournament, some tables will finish early with the winners having to wait around for an unknown amount of time for the last table to finish. With some tables going crazy with rebuys, the time variance can be even worse between the first table finishing and the last table finishing (depending on the blind structure). If the venue has a drop-dead time deadline, a non-shootout format will be easier to predict and adjust while allowing the maximum amount of play.
    4ceps wrote: »
    because of the time constraints, i decided to run the tourney as a shootout.
    shootout period: T1000 buyin and T1000 rebuys, blinds starting at 10/20 (25 minute levels, reduced by 5 minutes every 4 levels or so)