Bristol Street 2006 - TOP 10 Players of the Year

Bristol 2006 - Top Ten Players of the Year

It was a year of firsts at Bristol Street; first back to back champion, first three-peat champion, as well as the first Bristol Street events in the disciplines of Omaha as well as H.O.R.S.E. Over the course of the year, 109 different competitors walked through the front doors in their quest for poker immortality.

2006 was also an upheaval year as only two players in the 2005 Top 10 list made it into this year's, with the 2005 Top 7 not making it on the list.

Presented here are the Top 10 Players of 2006.

1st) "Moose" Rob - 190 points - $1,045 tournament winnings - (2005 PoY Standing: 22nd)

Things started shaky for the Bristol Street 2006 Player of the Year as he busted out in 30th position in his first event of the Year. The very tournament was bittersweet as "moose" made his first Final Table of the year, unfortunately busting out as the Bubble-Boy at BSC 24. In the very next event he play, "Moose" went all the way this time taking down the title of BSC 26 Champion, his first Bristol Street Title. At Bristol Street 27, "Moose" once again finished in the money losing to "8Ball". With Tye's second win that year, the PoY race looked to be pretty locked up, until the very next tournament, which Rob won! He then came back and did the unthinkable; winning back to back tournaments in BSC 28 and 29.

Over the course of the year, "Moose" made six final tables, earning three 1sts and a 4th, which was good for over a dime in 2006 tournament winnings. 2006 Player of the Year was a bit of an understatement!

2nd) "8Ball" Tye - 155 points - $656 tournament winnings - (2005 PoY Standing: 8th)

Winning the first tournament of the season, BSC 22, Tye immediately jumped into the Top 10 and never looked back. At BSC 27, Tye took his second title of the season and had seemed to have a strong hold on the Player of the Year race. A few close calls after that, including a 4th place finish in the 2006 Heads-Up Championship, kept Tye in the running until the final event, but it wasn't meant to be for the Bristol Street native.

Even though he only made two final tables during the season, he won both that he arrived at. That, along with an excellent Heads-up finish and a couple of near final-table appearance, gave Tye the Number 2 spot in the Player of the Year race.

3rd) "Metro" Tom - 141 points - $825 tournament winnings - (2005 PoY Standing: 31st)

While Tom's claim to fame for the 2006 season is his winning of the only Jour de Poker event of the year, Tom performed the remarkable feat of hitting 8 Final tables, and cashing in five! Along with his 1st at JdP, which netted him the biggest single "qualifying event" payout of the year, Tom received two 3rds, a 4th and a 5th.

Undergoing a nickname switch, the once called "TNORTH", earned his new moniker in 2006 and is a force to be feared at the tables.

4th) "JohnnieH" Johnnie H - 126 points - $435 tournament winnings - (2005 PoY Standing: 13th)

2006 started off exceedingly strong for "JohnnieH". At BCS 22, Johnnie cashed in 5th place, then went on to take down BSC 23, earing his first Bristol Street title and taking an early lead in the Player of the Year race. At Jour de Poker 4, he once again found himself in the money, with a good shot at the title, (until, of course, the Tye and Rob show took over for the next three tournaments)

Things slowed down for Johnnie near the end of the year, but an exceedingly strong first half of 2006 was enough to keep him in 4th place in 2006.

5th) "stpboy" Shannon - 122 points - $555 tournament winnings - (2005 PoY Standing: 26th)

With 2006 wrapping up, Shannon had sadly not been able to make a lot of events due to the fairly usual Wednesday night tournament night. Shannon still managed two final tables appearances, cashing both times.

As the season wrapped up, Shannon's biggest accomplishment of the 2006 was taking down the months long, "2006 Heads Up Championship". Best a field of 32 players in a double-elimination tournament, one on one, tournament was no easy task, but Shannon did it without taking a single loss.

Had he been able to attend a few more events, he may have gotten higher, but as is, his Heads-Up victory earned him the 5th place in the Player of the Year race.

6th) "Zithal" Rob - 106 points - $310 tournament winnings - (2005 PoY Standing: 9th)

Rob's biggest accomplishment was finally ending his Bristol Street Tournament victory drought. In March, 2004, "Zithal" won the inaugural Bristol Street Classic Event, (defeating a MASSIVE field of 7 players, all of whom knew remarkable little about the game). In 2006, Bristol Street added H.O.R.S.E to the roster and, once again, (against a MUCH stronger field of 18), Rob took down the inaugural tournament.

After a very disappointing first half of the year, "Zithal" made it to a total of four final tables, earning 6th in the Player of the Year race.

7th) "Westside" Wes
- 101 points - $260 tournament winnings - (2005 PoY Standing: 40th)

Wes makes the cut into the top 10 as the final Bristol Street occupant but, more importantly, Wes ends up as the player highest on the Top 10 list without having won a Bristol Street this year. Making three final tables, and cashing in each of them, Wes employed a strategy of go deep, or go home, err... upstairs, early.

8th) "Flint Bones" Andrew - 99 points - $150 tournament winnings - (2005 PoY Standing: 29th)

In a year dominated by our top 3 competitors, simply making it to a final table is sometimes enough to get on the Top 10 list. "Flint Bones", eater of babies, started the year off with an impressive 2nd place finish at Bristol Street 22 and, although hitting 3 more final tables, Andrew hit a glass ceiling with two 8th's and a 7th.

The Bristol Street XVI Champion improved his standings from 2005 and, especially now that he's re-discovered the joy of acting, we expect him to be a strong force in 2007.

9th) "Seek the Grail" Steve - 96 points (5th score: 15 points) - $270 tournament winnings - (2005 PoY Standing: N/A)

Steve debuted at Bristol Street at Bristol Street 25, and quickly got noticed by winning the inaugural Bristol Street Omaha Open. Though things slowed down after that, with one other final table, and cash, at BSC 29, Steve regularly finished in the top half of most of the tournaments he took part in.

Being one of the few players to have played with the big boys, Steve has remarked that he finds the competition and level of play to be outstanding. With a full season ahead of him, Steve has to be a strong contender to crack Top 10 in 2007.

10th) "Ranger" Mike - 96 points (5th score: 14 points) - $210 tournament winnings - (2005 PoY Standing: N/A)

Finishing slightly behind Steve in the Player of the Year Standing, mirrored Mike's best finish of 2006; a second place finish to Steve at the Omaha Open. With two other final tables and two cashes, Mike's skill in Hold'em has grown tremendously since his debut at BSC 23. In fact, we're not going to even re-hash how he cracked Beanie's Aces at that tournament.

The self-professed "6-Table Low Limit SnG Expert" (ok, maybe I made that up), Mike will be hungry for his first Bristol Street Title in 2007.

Honourable Mentions

While "SirWatts" Mike finished three out of the top ten, there's no denying that Mike's is having a tremendous year at Bristol Street, online and abroad. Yes, he won his entry into the 2006 World Series of Poker. Sure, he won his entry into the Pokerstars Carribean Adventure. Obviosuly, he won $24k in a single online tournament and $44k in a side tournament at the WSOP.

But most importantly, of course, "SirWatts" bested a field of 18 of Bristol Street's best to become the "Bristol Street 2006 GRAND CHAMPION". Congrats!!

While "sstar" Sean finished with 87 points, he did so by only playing in three tournaments. Had Sean simply showed up for one more event, he'd have cracked the Top 10. In three finishes, Sean made two final tables, finishing 2nd and 3rd.

Finishing, 36th in the Player of the Year race in 2005, "Bluffy" Jeff hit 15th this year thanks to his first Title at BSC 24. Congrats on your first win!

Finally, while his 62nd place finish this year was the result of only playing two events, "nordique" Kevin is not further up the list for only one reason; "The Legends of Bristol Street" didn't count for points this year. Kevin, survived three days of play against 69 other competitors to become the 2006 Legend of Bristol Street.

Coming Soon...

While January '07 is a dead month for the Tournament Director, look to the first or second week of February for Bristol Street's 3rd Season to get underway!!

Comments

• Rob thanks for donating your time and house for a great season. This board wouldn't exist as it does if not for the traffic generated by all the Bristol Street addicts. Your tournaments are always run in a fair and consistent manner. The players are, for the most part, respectful and genuinely fun to play with. I can't wait for the next Bristol. Thanks.
  • Thanks! I also should have done a once over for grammer errors. :) I think I'll do that tomorrow.
  • Zithal wrote: »
    Thanks! I also should have done a once over for grammer errors. :) I think I'll do that tomorrow.

grammar...and spleling. ;)
  • 1st) "Moose" Rob - 190 points - $1,045 tournament winnings - (2005 PoY Standing: 22nd)

Over the course of the year, "Moose" made six final tables, earning three 1sts and a 4th, which was good for over a dime in 2006 tournament winnings. 2006 Player of the Year was a bit of an understatement!

2nd) "8Ball" Tye - 155 points - $656 tournament winnings - (2005 PoY Standing: 8th)

Congrats to all the Bristol Street Top 10 especially the 1st two finishers.

To Moose:
    While I don't believe I played a table anywhere with Rob this year, I have over the last 20 years played far more euchre with him than poker. Congrats on the championship year at Bristol.

To Tye: I have played at far more tables with you than I think I want to. Your always an unpredictable opponent. ON the up side, you are a lot of fun to play with at a table.

Congrats to both of you on your finishes.
  • Congratulations to all! Now I have another goal to add to my list for 2007.
  • Thanks for the recap on the top 10 players Rob! I must say I thought that Ty had run away with the POY race early in the season, kudos to Moose on the victory and the other consistent efforts of the players in the top 10!

How's the Wall of fame coming? ;)

stp
  • Thanks for everything Rob - those achievements were all made possible by your efforts.

Oh and BTW - I would rather 3rd place points with 2nd place money, then the reverse:)