Thread: New Site

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

New Site

So over the last 2 months I have been testing and trying to find new forum software that is easier to program for then vBulliten Board Forum system.

I have found free software (Vinalla Forums) that is easier to program for, uses a better framework to help make custom plugins (that don't break the system everytime there is an update), oh and did I mention.... it's free!?!

Jeff and I understand that change sucks but in the long run this is better for the community. I will be adding stuff like optional login with Facebook or Google account so you don't have to remeber another account to login, but for now I wanted to get the basics up and running. We do understand that learning new software is a pain but it will look better and function better. It will make conversations easier also.

The new forum will have a dark and light mode. The site is responsive which means there is proper CSS coding so the site looks good on big and small screens (Sorry no mobile app yet) There is a new calendar plugin that I wrote for it, that shows you upcoming games for the month and year. Some features have been simplified as they didn't need to be so complicated. You can PROPERLY @ mention someone so that when you type @ and start typing a name it will give you an auto complete list.

I will try to make sure I add a toutotials for each feature so you know how to use it. There will be a new thread opened up for problems with the new software.

I am planning to do this either Monday or Tuesday as I am off for the week so you may find the site saying it's under maintenance. You can view but won't be able to post as a need the database frozen while I update and test!

Thanks all hope everyone is keeping their butts clean!!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So after watching the exploding of issues going on with 2+2 forums switching to vanilla forums also. I would like to take this opportunity to maybe do some stuff better then they are doing. So I would like to reach out to the community and have them look at http://pokerforum.main.nu this is a demo site that I have tested moving over our data to Vanilla anything you post here will be gone as it's just a test site.

I would like you to take a minute and visit the site and let me know what is maybe missing from it the current forum has. If your only comment is to say it sucks with no constructive criticism then your post will go ignored. We are looking to make the site better and easier to use on mobile devices and would like to get your feed back..

The site is moving to new software and change is going to happen, it has to with internet technology or you become stale very fast which my be okay for some current members that love it staying exactly the way it is but it does not attract new users and who does not like new fish to play the game with??

But serious we want to know what the pain points would be by giving you the ability to give your input to a new piece of forum software. We would love to hear what you think about the new forum or what you would like to see as base features before we move to it. The current version is not the final version but a very good kick at the can. This place is just as much yours as it is the developers, you have helped build some of the content that people use in this site. SO we want to keep the conversation open and on the positive side of things and constructive.

Also if anyone is good with design would love to see a new logo maybe for the site.. Not that it has to be replaced but it can freshen up the look and make us look more appealing to advertisers and new users.

Milton, poker capital of the world.. after Wloo that is.
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just to add to what Steve is saying. With no support for vbulletin any more it is getting more and more subject to attack, spam, etc. Kinda like using XP and Internet Explorer on the web now. This is a community site and we value everyone's input however without Steve's work (as well as our hosting site) we would have already been down numerous times. Kinda glad we didn't leave it where it was a year ago.

If you want to read a bunch of ranting raving lunatics go at the forum owners and admins on 2+2 have a read.
    https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/5...anges-1765461/
    If someone doesn't hate you, you're a wimp... comp: circa 2012.. and now 2013 as well, quite likely continuing into 2014, Now confirmed as CONTINUING well into 2014. Ah, f'it, 2015's just more of the same..