Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Full PFC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good advice indeed, Reef!

Moose:
    I've long learned never slowplay in limit, totally different strategy than NL where you might get THEM to shove, there is no shoving involved, so if you don't raise, you don't get more money when you win.

I am raising my draws when in late position ALWAYS (flush draws, open-end straights, etc...) for the fact that when I hit it I get paid very well since I've been raising already nobody suspects a completed draw... As well, if I miss the draw on the turn I won't re-raise on the river since my chances are slimmer now.

Great advice on early-position draws... They are the devil.

Reef:

1) I think I've been playing online poker long enough to know what good starting hands are and in what position, but since I am always open for input, so what do you recommend as a good starting hand chart?

2) I am currently playing 5 tables at a time, which never really gets out of control. I'm going to step up to 6 tables today and see how it goes. Things do start happening quickly with more than 4 tables open at once...

3) I currently am running at 50 hands per hour per table, so 250 hands per hour. If I bump up to 8 tables that will be 450 hands per hour.. should get 10k by 24 hours.

3.5) Currently I think I've added ~100bb, so if I keep up good play that shouldn't be a problem!

4) I plan to!

Great advice guys, I really do appreciate it!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy. Drop small pockets 22-88 unless you are in cutoff, button or blinds and getting 6:1 odds to call. Drop KJ, QJ, J10o except for late position and good odds. Drop Axo where x=8 or less. With multi tables you should easily be able to play tighter. Get your vpip down to 22-26% for 6 max and 18-22% for full ring. If you are opening a pot you mostly should be raising not calling.

If I am playing you, this is how I beat you: You play too many hands and NEVER raise preflop. You win over 50% of the time at showdown, but your WTSD is low. Therefore if you raise preflop I am never playing you unless I have AA or KK. If you limp, I am raising with any decent hand to isolate. If I make it to showdown with you I am rarely betting without a huge hand.

As you move up in levels people pay attention to these things and you will never get paid on your big hands, you will frequently be heads up with players with marginal hands, and you won't win many bets on the river.
    To Bet or not to Be(t). That is the question. - Billy (Big Slick) Shakespeare
    RC III, XI, XIV - Champions!

Looking for a coach
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DasCoupe View Post
    what do you recommend as a good starting hand chart?
    For games where players play too loose use the chart from Small Stakes Holdem by Ed Miller.

When you move up to 10/20, use Holdem Poker for Advanced Players.
    Last edited by ReefAquarium; Jun 11,2009 at 04:31 PM.
    Looking for poker buddies. PM me.

Looking for a coach
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    Easy. Drop small pockets 22-88 unless you are in cutoff, button or blinds and getting 6:1 odds to call. Drop KJ, QJ, J10o except for late position and good odds. Drop Axo where x=8 or less. With multi tables you should easily be able to play tighter. Get your vpip down to 22-26% for 6 max and 18-22% for full ring. If you are opening a pot you mostly should be raising not calling.

If I am playing you, this is how I beat you: You play too many hands and NEVER raise preflop. You win over 50% of the time at showdown, but your WTSD is low. Therefore if you raise preflop I am never playing you unless I have AA or KK. If you limp, I am raising with any decent hand to isolate. If I make it to showdown with you I am rarely betting without a huge hand.

As you move up in levels people pay attention to these things and you will never get paid on your big hands, you will frequently be heads up with players with marginal hands, and you won't win many bets on the river.
    Awesome post Moose!

Full PFC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your guys advice really did help today! Bumped it up to 8 tabless, and was much more strict on my opening hands, which obviously allowed me to raise much more often.

I can see my big money makers:

I don't know how I ever played poker before pokertracker! Well... I just didn't know what I was doing! literally!

Looking for a coach
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow!

You're a much better player than you were yesterday!

Add more tables.

Show us more stats!

New assignment: Stop cold calling.

Looking at your KQo you need to raise *MUCH* more often preflop. 12.5% PFR is too small.

If you get a big unsuited hand think fold or Re-raise!!
    KQo doesn't play well with lots of players, re-raise that puppy up.

My guess is you're limping or cold calling too much.
    Pretty much the only time you cold call is big suited cards like AQs in late position.

If you never cold call this week, I think you would only be making a small mistake.

Think Tight Aggressive!!

If you have a much better than average hand you need to get the money in there.

9 players may call but get that money in there.

congrats, you're starting to play poker.
    Last edited by ReefAquarium; Jun 12,2009 at 06:59 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about KQo. I'll have to check my stats when I get home. KQo is a hand I feel is often overplayed. For sure your PFAF is WAY too low. If you open the pot preflop, don't call - raise.

Your big winners are the easy to play hands. Look at your big losers and see what hands you are playing too often.
    To Bet or not to Be(t). That is the question. - Billy (Big Slick) Shakespeare
    RC III, XI, XIV - Champions!

Full PFC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the kind words guys;

I didn't start playing yesterday, but I did just get Pokertracker on Monday... So this whole stats-keeping is all new to me. Loving it so far!

KQ just got lucky a few times! I raise it if I'm in late position, call in mid, fold in early. Hit a few good flops for sure.
    Last edited by DasCoupe; Jun 12,2009 at 02:21 PM.

Poker Wins = Potato Heads Cerberus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome informative post on all accounts. Going to have to look into getting pokertracker.

Full PFC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update today, spent nearly 5 hours playing 8 tables and got over 1600 hands in tonight

Results:

And a graph that makes me feel good:
    Last edited by DasCoupe; Jun 14,2009 at 11:34 AM.

Semi-Newb
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to get this. Do you have to buy it? Or can I download it somewhere?
    Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Full PFC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I have 22 days left of my Trial. 30 day trial

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinner View Post
    I need to get this. Do you have to buy it? Or can I download it somewhere?
    I got mine by bonus whoring from PokerSourceOnline.
    LONG LIVE ZSA ZSA GABOR!

Full PFC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok this is AWESOME!

Your advice has been a godsend when you bump it up to 10-15 tables... 15-tabled for about 2 hours today to bring my total hands over 5k (since we're half way through June and my goal is to be done by the end of the month at the LATEST)

Anyway.

BE AGGRESSIVE! Play SMART! SELECTIVE pre-flop aggression is key!

When you're running 15 tables you don't have time to ponder the odds of your suited connectors... Go back to basics, any pocket pair above 7's, AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ, QJ or any Ax suited.

That was my strategy, shove like crazy with one of those hands, and they paid off more often than not... Anyhoo, on to my stats so far!

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Tyler/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Tyler/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]

Good times, playing that many tables is a RUSH! And tiring! 2 hours is the most I can do that for methinks.

Also there is larger varience playing more tables, I was down to $13.50 at like 5200 hands, then at 5300 I was back over $16!

Looking for a coach
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DasCoupe View Post
    When you're running 15 tables you don't have time to ponder the odds of your suited connectors... Go back to basics, any pocket pair above 7's, AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ, QJ or any Ax suited.

That was my strategy, shove like crazy with one of those hands, and they paid off more often than not... Anyhoo, on to my stats so far!

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Tyler/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Tyler/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]

Good times, playing that many tables is a RUSH! And tiring! 2 hours is the most I can do that for methinks.

Also there is larger varience playing more tables, I was down to $13.50 at like 5200 hands, then at 5300 I was back over $16!
    Nice work, In a couple more sessions of 18 tables you should be done.
    Last edited by ReefAquarium; Jun 16,2009 at 03:48 AM.