Poll #2 re future of Royal

Poll 2

Comments

• Voting in mobile view doesn't work btw.
    BlondeFish
  • So don't use mobile....
  • moose wrote: »
    Voting in mobile view doesn't work btw.

Worked for me
  • kwmatt wrote: »
    Worked for me

Nevermind. I'm in desktop view
  • Ill fix the voting Moose... It's like no choices show up at all!! For now switch to desktop view to vote then switch back to mobile view
  • I polled my team. All 5 respondents would be in favour of increasing the buy-in amount.
  • Another player is up for the idea of increasing it.

They made a good suggestion, that may or may not have already been in consideration:

Make it $80. Add $10 for the high hand & MVP, plus $10 team mvp (which some teams do), makes it an even $100 investment.

Consider my entire team on board for it.
  • I voted for keeping it the same but if increasing the buy-in increases the number of entrants all for it. I'm just not sure if it will. Royal isn't about winning money, at least not for me.
  • trigs wrote: »
    I voted for keeping it the same but if increasing the buy-in increases the number of entrants all for it. I'm just not sure if it will. Royal isn't about winning money, at least not for me.

And that is my concern.... If we drop any more it is done.. Really think hard, will we get more players, or less, if we increase the buy in. For us hard core folks it's fine but the casual folk who only play a couple of times per year they may reconsider. I do think the once a year is going to win out though so we have time.
  • I would have to say the same $50 for a fun day is understandable and justifyable $100 I think is more about the money then the fun day. I have never played but would like to for the fun. Should be about the enjoyment for the game and a bit of excitement playing for something. Just my opinion though... Look how many people backed out.. imaging trying to get a replacement and asking them to spend 100 for the day plus all their food and booze. Might be hard.
  • Or, imagine trying to find a newbie to play in a 10 hour poker game and all that’s required is a measly $50. Might not be incentive enough.
  • Well I guess we have to decide is Royal Cup for money or love of the game.. that might help decide.

Edit: I mean that honestly not snarky
    studog
  • While I am in favour of raising the buyin I was thinking that if everyone did what I do, which is play each sng for $10 then it becomes an $80 tournament.
  • I think we lose a lot of players with higher buyin..

There are NOT that many hobbiest players left. Not nearly enough to run this game. I'd bet I'd lose 3 players from my team, and captaining is hard enough already to find initial and replacement players. I heard rumblings of other captains growing tired of organizing teams, and this would only complicate things.

Leave it the same.

Mark
  • BankItDrew wrote: »
    Or, imagine trying to find a newbie to play in a 10 hour poker game and all that’s required is a measly $50. Might not be incentive enough.

Speaking as that (one-time) newb. When I was asked to join a team for the first time, my attitude was, "We play how long? for $50.00? That's IT?!?" I think a newb who is just getting "in" to poker would jump at such an inexpensive entry, especially with the huge network of games that can be realized from just one showing.
  • Jeff, I deliberately left that end quote missing. Proper punctuation is fascist
  • A lot of teams are made up of 30-40% completely recreational players. When recruiting to fill the final 3 spots (sometimes 4), telling people that there is Limit Holdem, Limit Stud, Pot Limit Omaha as part of the make up of the day is enough of a barrier.

This is why I think $50.00 works for filling out the teams. Its not so steep that they can't learn a new game for once a year and have fun with 50.00 + 10 for Mvp/High Hand and Food and Drink $.

Quickly turns into a 100.00 day regardless.

I'd never want to lose the mix of games played during the day, that's the fun of the event, especially if only once a year.

For most of you folks that get out and play a ton during the rest of the year, bigger buyins are there the other 364 days of the year to fill your fun of gamble, profit, higher stakes and good times.

Hit the Royal in the fall for $50.00, meet up with the Forum members and newbies and have a good time.
  • Is this a one day event or a weekly thing?

If a one day event I may be interested depending on kids rep hockey schedule.

I love the mixed games.
  • payperview wrote: »
    Is this a one day event or a weekly thing?

This is a 1 day, full day event
  • payperview wrote: »
    Is this a one day event or a weekly thing?

If a one day event I may be interested depending on kids rep hockey schedule.

I love the mixed games.
    It was twice yearly, likely only once a year now. Next event late October or November, 2020. Organize and put a team in for next year..
  • damn it's been so long since I was around here, I forgot about the Royal. I loved it the one time I was able to get on a team. If it comes back (Fingers crossed) it would be awesome. I think I played in the very first Royal but that was so long ago.
  • Hey Graham, welcome back. I'm afraid the Royal is dead. Just not enough interest or people.

So what are you up to these days? The forum has really dwindled although there are still a hard core of perhaps 50 people. Mostly in SW Ontario..