Don't Fear the Reaper

Moved post to here..

So fun night at Andrews place on Saturday, people were enjoying the tournament, two tables were playing $80 NL. We all watch Toronto Pimp take one to the chest and go down first so first blood was drawn quick. I was moved to the other table with a healthy middling stack of chips. I'm in middle position and look down at

:6h :7d,

I figure why not, I'm here to gamble and make a call. Moose was in BB and also is into the hand. The flop hits the table in slow motion with a thud and the cards are separated out

:jh :9h :ts,

A check goes around the table the turn hits

:jh :9h :ts, :10h,

check by me and a bet by moose, I have a straight draw and a flush draw so I make the call. the river is a beautiful

:jh :9h :ts, :10h, :8h

I hit my flush but it's low... I check to moose who thinks for a second and shoves his stack. I think he has to have a higher flush then me. I fold my cards face up, stating I have a straight and a crappy low flush assuming moose had me beat. The guy beside me say, umm no you have a straight flush. I look at my cards again to realize my cards were actually

:6d :7h,

...................I just folded the straight flush on an all in!! Are you f'ing kidding me how did I get the suits messed up like that! Why were you not paying attention more!! Moose turns over the

:qh

The table erupts, I dodge the Q high straight flush. The absolute best accidental fold of the century!

The reaper wanted me that night but I said, "not today sir, not today!" I dropped my head and took the laughs at my stupidity and the props for the best fold ever. I laughed at myself and played on!

I have no idea what the one off card actually was on the board but this sounds about right...! Never tell me the odds!

Comments

• Now the big question becomes, if that was the Q of diamonds, how do you feel about winning?
  • Well statistic wise this hand I accidently laid down was an instant call hand. A good player might see that there is 4 cards to the straight flush and realize we have the bottom end of it and maybe think twice. But still have to look at the big numbers that says, 98% you are ahead and take your losses the other 2% of the time because in the long run that 98% is all that matters. I just got shit ass lucky that I miss read my hand!
  • I am not sure how many on the forum know about George, who was a regular in Niagara and Brantford. But he passed away after suffering a heart attack while in the Niagara poker room last week.
    -
    He was crusty but certainly one of the more colourful characters in the poker room.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    I am not sure how many on the forum know about George, who was a regular in Niagara and Brantford. But he passed away after suffering a heart attack while in the Niagara poker room last week.
    -
    He was crusty but certainly one of the more colourful characters in the poker room.

Sad to hear, played with him many times, his table and seat change requests are legendary.
  • Yeah, that was a rough morning. I wasn't George's biggest fan, but I wouldn't wish that ending on anyone.

I have to say though, the staff handled the whole situation really well, and we didn't even realize what was happening until we saw the paramedics giving him CPR, and even though there were only 3 tables running, we had no idea who it was until later that day.