need mental help here..

I'm not posting a bad beat sob story here. I honestly need some input. How do you mentally try and forget a hand like this? It's like Christmas, you just doubled up almost immediately at the start of a tourney, then a few hands later a fucking idiot has basically handed his stack over to you only to river the miracle card. I was sitting 4 of 105 and then this hand happens, basically erasing the double up. If I am beat in a hand, I am beat, my bad for misplaying it but my God....

PokerStars Hand #90079209258: Tournament #658011195, $10+$1 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2012/11/30 23:45:20 ET
Table '658011195 2' 6-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: Bravo-tmb (2350 in chips)
Seat 2: meeks16 (2810 in chips)
Seat 4: leotostes (2860 in chips)
Seat 5: naxopop_md (3000 in chips)
Seat 6: TheHumungous (6300 in chips)
Bravo-tmb: posts small blind 15
meeks16: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to TheHumungous :as:qh
leotostes: raises 150 to 180
naxopop_md: folds
TheHumungous: calls 180
Bravo-tmb: folds
meeks16: folds
*** FLOP *** :jh:2s:qd
leotostes: bets 330
TheHumungous: calls 330
*** TURN *** :jh:2s:qd:8s
leotostes: bets 810
TheHumungous: raises 960 to 1770
leotostes: raises 580 to 2350 and is all-in
TheHumungous: calls 580
*** RIVER *** :jh:2s:qd:8s:kc
*** SHOW DOWN ***
leotostes: shows [Ah Ts] (a straight, Ten to Ace)
TheHumungous: shows [As Qh] (a pair of Queens)
leotostes collected 5765 from pot

Comments

• First off, I would 3-bet A-Q in this spot. To isolate the early position raiser, we have a strong hand and even better with position. Re-raise to say 400-500. He probably goes all in after that, and you happiliy call.

You hit the flop hard with top pair, top kicker and he leads out. In my experience, a donk bet generally means a draw of some kind for villain. Raise his bet. Any size will do,but not too big, dont want to scare him off.

On the turn, you got your chips in ahead, nothing else you can do.

However, you played this hand incredibly passive, not once showing any aggression or strength, until the turn, which polarizes your range. Meaning, you either have T-9 for a straight, or you have nothing.

Playing more aggressively earlier may have won this hand, but against this particular opponent, I doubt he ever folds. He has an Ace !!
  • thanks D, I can always use tips like this to help my game out. I think I should just learn to take a pot while I am ahead and be happy with it
  • Muddguts wrote: »
    thanks D, I can always use tips like this to help my game out. I think I should just learn to take a pot while I am ahead and be happy with it

Well, thats not really my point. You want to give opponents the wrong odds to call but still keep them in the hand.

Ex. You have Ad-Kd and your opponent has Js-7s

The flop was As-Jh-3s and after betting there is now 2000 in the pot

Turn is the 4c - villain has 9 outs, roughly 20% chance of hitting their spade. So you need to give them worse than 5:1 odds. You don't want to bet the pot or over bet it, cause they'll fold, and you want worse hands to call, but with the wrong odds.

So bet a bet of 700, means, they have to call 700 to win 2700 or worse than 4:1 (assuming you don't pay them off if they hit).

And guess what, 20% of the time they hit their spade. But you made them overpay to try and hit it.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »

However, you played this hand incredibly passive, not once showing any aggression or strength, until the turn, which polarizes your range. Meaning, you either have T-9 for a straight, or you have nothing.

Or TPTK?

dj your entire post is extremely results oriented -- getting your money in 92% is almost always as good as it can get in poker, you don't want to win the hand earlier, you want to get all the chips in as a 90+% favourite
  • Muddguts wrote: »
    thanks D, I can always use tips like this to help my game out. I think I should just learn to take a pot while I am ahead and be happy with it

nonononono
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Or TPTK?

dj your entire post is extremely results oriented -- getting your money in 92% is almost always as good as it can get in poker, you don't want to win the hand earlier, you want to get all the chips in as a 90+% favourite

please see my later post.
  • I had an awesome day like this today as well...5 sng's in a row...been trying to grind 10-35 buck 9 mans.....all within an hour or so.. AA vs 77, KK vs 1010, Ak vs AJ, Ak vs A5, A10 vs Q10....didn't win one of em...called it a night...fml.
    First off, I would 3-bet A-Q in this spot. To isolate the early position raiser, we have a strong hand and even better with position. Re-raise to say 400-500. He probably goes all in after that, and you happiliy call.

I hope you're not talking about preflop here, because putting in 100BB pre with AQ is really, really spewy.
    Well, thats not really my point. You want to give opponents the wrong odds to call but still keep them in the hand.

You mean like this?

PokerStars Hand #90075673556: Tournament #658010965, $2.00+$0.20 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (25/50) - 2012/11/30 21:13:36 ET
    Table '658010965 96' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
    Seat 1: nikita55218 (2825 in chips)
    Seat 2: Goaldi (6891 in chips)
    Seat 3: xeiranossa (4550 in chips)
    Seat 4: thekid9771 (6985 in chips)
    Seat 5: andrelopes11 (2235 in chips)
    Seat 6: RiverYerAss (5335 in chips)
    Seat 7: BUSTURNUTS11 (1030 in chips)
    Seat 8: RoberDordt (4579 in chips)
    Seat 9: rodrigobmz (2380 in chips)
    RoberDordt: posts small blind 25
    rodrigobmz: posts big blind 50
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to RiverYerAss [Ah Ac]
    nikita55218: folds
    Goaldi: folds
    xeiranossa: raises 58 to 108
    thekid9771: calls 108
    andrelopes11: calls 108
    RiverYerAss: raises 1058 to 1166
    BUSTURNUTS11: folds
    RoberDordt: calls 1141
    rodrigobmz: folds
    xeiranossa: folds
    thekid9771: calls 1058
    andrelopes11: folds
    *** FLOP ***
    RoberDordt: bets 1100
    thekid9771: folds
    RiverYerAss: raises 1400 to 2500
    RoberDordt: raises 913 to 3413 and is all-in
    RiverYerAss: calls 913
    *** TURN *** [Jh]
    *** RIVER *** [2h]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    RoberDordt: shows [Tc Qs] (two pair, Queens and Tens)
    RiverYerAss: shows [Ah Ac] (a pair of Aces)
    RoberDordt collected 10590 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 10590 | Rake 0
    Board
    Seat 1: nikita55218 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 2: Goaldi folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 3: xeiranossa folded before Flop
    Seat 4: thekid9771 folded on the Flop
    Seat 5: andrelopes11 folded before Flop
    Seat 6: RiverYerAss showed [Ah Ac] and lost with a pair of Aces
    Seat 7: BUSTURNUTS11 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 8: RoberDordt (small blind) showed [Tc Qs] and won (10590) with two pair, Queens and Tens
    Seat 9: rodrigobmz (big blind) folded before Flop
  • We can't be results oriented.

IMO, 3bet preflop. We have position and a premium hand. I three bet to 550 here and play from there. If villain 4bet/shoves, it will be read dependent on whether or not we call. Given stack sizes, I likely call here a lot of the time.

As played, we got to the flop and villain cbets in close a PSB. We have TPTK and villain is likely cbetting their entire preflop raising range on that flop. I raise to 800 with intention of getting the rest of the chips in the middle. There are 14 combinations of hands that we are losing to here and villain can be cbetting hands like AK, AJ, A10, 1010, KQ, KJ, 109, K10 (1010 not as often) a good amount of the time. Raise the flop.

The turn villain was open ended once they bet they were committed to the rest of the hand. IMO, you raised at least one street to late.
  • I love poker
  • meh, never ever 3bet pre here without a major read if you don't hate your chips but that's not what we're talking about in this thread. The mental aspect is obviously super hard, I think the best thing one can do is to lower their expectations. You're probably not gonna beat the varience any time soon and until you can start feeling good about something else than the results of hands I don't think you'll ever beat the mental strain of poker, at least not completely
  • HammerDad wrote: »
    We can't be results oriented.

IMO, 3bet preflop. We have position and a premium hand. I three bet to 550 here and play from there. If villain 4bet/shoves, it will be read dependent on whether or not we call. Given stack sizes, I likely call here a lot of the time.

Second person itt to suggest calling off 100 bb pre with AQ #wtf
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Second person itt to suggest calling off 100 bb pre with AQ #wtf

pfffffff.......only 95 imo
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Or TPTK?

I like this point the most. Your way ahead, given his hand k is only card that your worried about (don't argue trolls, keeping it simple, bear with me)

The amount of times you get value by not over betting scared to take pot early vs losing will be profitable long term.

Shake it off, situation with early double up tilted you harder than normal.

ReWatch some good poker footage, great players go for value and pot control. Realize this is tourney but same principles apply.

Would you have been pissed if he showed you flopped set? He might play same way. you would have said well played. Had he bricked, you say Ty for chips.

It's a stupid game btw....
  • anyone who has issue with how this hand was played is clearly doing it wrong and playing scared -- again, if you are afraid to get your money in 90%+ want to take down the pot earlier you either have an insufficient bankroll for your stakes or you don't understand the most basic poker strategy and should review the basic math involved in pokerz
  • I honstly don't know why 90% of this topic is analysing the example hand :<
  • whats the problem here? he's a bad player who got all his money in with a up and down draw and you are the overwhelming favorite heading to the river. 8/10 you are going to win this pot and everytime you played it this way you are already making money ( +ev )
    it's one hand but over the course of a life time you just made alot of money against a hand that has no business stacking off with you. On the flip side that guy just lost a ton of money in the long run if he has plays like these is in his arsenal. Think long term ; )