texas hold em tournament strategy

Your strategy in a poker tournament should be very different from your typical cash game strategy. In this article we begin to look into the strategies employed in poker tournaments. Your poker tournament strategy largely comes down to the number of times round the table you can go putting in the ante if there is one, big blind, and small blind. The less number of times round the table you can go without losing all your remaining chips, the more you need to increase the range of cards you are willing to play. Likewise, the converse is true – the greater the size of your chip stack in proportion to the ante and blinds, the tighter you should be playing. to be continue.....

Comments

• darbday wrote: »
    ???

Agreed.
  • I shove AA any stack size, ante or not. :)
  • ReeferCash wrote: »
    I shove AA any stack size, ante or not. :)

You hate money. ;)
  • Sssshhhh . . . Reefer, have you heard about the Forum Home Game tournaments?
  • GientPoker wrote: »
    Your strategy in a poker tournament should be very different from your typical cash game strategy. In this article we begin to look into the strategies employed in poker tournaments. Your poker tournament strategy largely comes down to the number of times round the table you can go putting in the ante if there is one, big blind, and small blind. The less number of times round the table you can go without losing all your remaining chips, the more you need to increase the range of cards you are willing to play. Likewise, the converse is true – the greater the size of your chip stack in proportion to the ante and blinds, the tighter you should be playing. to be continue.....

what the fucking fuck?

...?
  • This means that early on in a tournament, you should not be taking too many big risks or playing too loosely, unless you’ve lost a lot of chips and end up very short stacked. Early on in a poker tournament a player will typically have more than 100x the big blind, and there’s no antes involved – so you can get away with only playing your strong hands, establish a relatively tight poker playing image and take down solid pots when your competitors chance it with a weak hand.
  • GientPoker wrote: »
    This means that early on in a tournament, you should not be taking too many big risks or playing too loosely, unless you’ve lost a lot of chips and end up very short stacked. Early on in a poker tournament a player will typically have more than 100x the big blind, and there’s no antes involved – so you can get away with only playing your strong hands, establish a relatively tight poker playing image and take down solid pots when your competitors chance it with a weak hand.

your mom says hi
  • do you offer coaching?
  • I'm just learning so much today
  • Copy and paste.
    Copy and paste.
    Copy and paste.
    Copy and paste.
  • Hay come on I am trying to read this... and hope to get rid of the annoying message about not posting.
  • Agree with screenman . . . these posts are a revelation. Do not interrupt this poster's obvious genius with inanities. Plz, gient, continue . . .
  • I disagree. For the most part, in a tournament or a cash game, your play should be identical. +EV is +EV.

Source - Skalansky's Tournament Poker for Advanced Players
  • cuz I just had intercourse with her
  • shhh you guys, this could be our big chance to finally learn the inside secrets of poker... Don't chase him away..
  • Meistro wrote: »
    I disagree. For the most part, in a tournament or a cash game, your play should be identical. +EV is +EV.

Source - Skalansky's Tournament Poker for Advanced Players

Who the hell is Skalansky? I knew a George Skalansky once . . . big dude, worked construction. Doubt he wrote a poker book, though . . .
  • A math dude "David" Actually has done well for himself I believe back in the day.

A for paying attention to the math of what you have and when you enter the pot, its more than just counting chips and orbits. When you put your chips at risk ANYTIME, more pay attention to what you and the people in the pot have behind. If your going at it from a complete math perspective of blinds/antes and your chips, then your cards matter very little and more often than not you will eventually lose a race.

But even saying that AA is a definate ship if your in a lot of pots no matter whom your sitting with, you will get looked up probably by AKoff suit, I will take this race everytime my $300 to your $100 many times as you want!
  • Pssshtt . . . it's ALWAYS a 50/50 gamble when the chips go in. either you win, or you lose. 50/50 . . . QED.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Pssshtt . . . it's ALWAYS a 50/50 gamble when the chips go in. either you win, or you lose. 50/50 . . . QED.

what if you chop?
  • Milo wrote: »
    Pssshtt . . . it's ALWAYS a 50/50 gamble when the chips go in. either you win, or you lose. 50/50 . . . QED.
    always?? I will take AA then everytime you want to run it, you get any hand in the WORLD thats not AA and gamble? any stakes you want:)
  • eeetee2011 wrote: »
    what if you chop?

If it's a chop you get half the pot, right? thank you for proving my point.
    getem76 wrote: »
    always?? I will take AA then everytime you want to run it, you get any hand in the WORLD thats not AA and gamble? any stakes you want:)

My point is not who wins or loses, only that it is a 50/50 proposition. you will either win or you will lose = 50/50.
  • I can agree enough with that, your in control of all you can, then the deck handles the rest!

But I will still run it with AA for 5 cards in the dark LOL
  • But, I thought in Hold 'Em you only got 2 cards, not 5. If you give me five cards, I am not sure if that would change the math or not. I'll get back to you.

Nope, still a win/lose = 50/50 proposition.
  • Thanks.

From this day forward I will apply these tips in every tourney I play.