big stack game

a hand I observed on UB

Hand #1069770-1684 at Blundeston (No Limit Hold'em)
Powered by UltimateBet
Started at 19/Feb/04 05:06:51

rednosesam is at seat 0 with $3000 (sitting out).
Nick Stokes is at seat 5 with $31039.
Spirit Rock is at seat 6 with $6097.
Jeppe is at seat 7 with $6307.50.
tiltological is at seat 8 with $1875.
dragon12 is at seat 9 with $6032.
The button is at seat 7.

tiltological posts the small blind of $25.
dragon12 posts the big blind of $50.

Nick Stokes: -- --
Spirit Rock: -- --
Jeppe: -- --
tiltological: -- --
dragon12: -- --

Pre-flop:

Nick Stokes raises to $175. Spirit Rock folds.
Jeppe re-raises to $775. tiltological folds.
dragon12 folds. Nick Stokes calls.

Flop (board: 5d 5h 4h):

Nick Stokes checks. Jeppe bets $1625. Nick Stokes
raises to $6500. Jeppe goes all-in for $5532.50.
Nick Stokes is returned $967.50 (uncalled).

Turn (board: 5d 5h 4h Kh):

(no action in this round)

River (board: 5d 5h 4h Kh Qc):

(no action in this round)

Showdown:

Nick Stokes shows 5c Kc.
Nick Stokes has 5c Kc 5d 5h Kh: full house, fives full of kings.
Jeppe shows Qh Qd.
Jeppe has Qh Qd 5d 5h Qc: full house, queens full of fives.

Hand #1069770-1684 Summary:

$3 is raked from a pot of $12690.
Jeppe wins $12687 with full house, queens full of fives.

Comments

• I don't know where to start..That is crazy! :shock:
  • I can't tell which one of them is the fish... :)

ScottyZ
  • the fish was definately Stokes,, he was calling with any 2 cards, nearly any raise preflop.
  • Well (as this hand is a perfect example of), calling with any 2 cards in NL is not as bad as it seems. You can justify calling with 2 cards based on implied odds if (and this is a big "if") you think you will get huge bets paid off by your opponents more often then usual when you catch a big hand. It's the old saying that you can play more hands pre-flop if you can outplay your opponents on later (and normally more expensive) streets.

Here, Jeffe clearly gets outplayed on the flop, calling a huge bet with far the worst of it.

It's not clear to me who played this particular hand worse--- the K5s pre-flop, or the QQ on the flop.

I'm just not too sure about calling the big raise with QQ on that flop, especially against someone who is calling pre-flop "with any two cards".

ScottyZ
  • Yeah I regularly play NL cash games on the net and play a lot more hands well not a lot more but more hands than usual. I only play the .5\1 NL game so the oppenents are bit weaker and I can usually buy pots. But remember I'm only playing these hands in good position and either limping in for the dollar or raising it myself to repersent.

Example. Late to mid positon I limp with 74 diamonds for a dollar. Flop 356. I manage to get all my money in just over 100, one guy had 90 another had 60. I ended up winning because some guy didn't want to raise his Jacks preflop and another guy bet his life on flush draw (probably thinking if he hit his K he was good too). Now that's not an example of out playing someone but an example of how limping in with crap for cheap in a reasonable position can be great. Of course it can be terrible for your bankroll too but I know this and tread the waters very carefully when playing hands like 74, except when I flop the nuts of course :D
  • I found out that "Nick Stokes" is Rick Casper, and if I'm not mistaken will appear in season 2 of the WPT in Aruba..he took 6th place just ahead of DevilFish who came in 7th.