Deposited $$ into UB today.

No real stories to tell...just played .50-$1 NL for about a half hour and made just under $60. I'm hoping to play on my belly for awhile and see what I can make out of my deposit.

I did have one nice hand where I raised to $5 preflop with 77 in ep.

3 players fold, a guy in MP calls and everyone else folds.

flop comes K,4,7 rainbow

I check. he bets $10 leaving himself with only $13 so I raise him all in, and my set scoops the pot away from his AA.

Now I'm looking @ the Aruba satellites

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a snow day tomorrow to play all day.

Comments

• UB is a solid place, but partypoker is where all the worst players hang out...a good player can make a killing there.
  • I have only been playing hold'em for a couple of months now so I am trying to learn as much as I can..Isn't raising 77 in ep a ballsy move? It worked out well for you but can you imangine if an A would have come on the flop with that 7? Shouldn't the mp player with AA have went all in when you raised before the flop?
  • What is UB?
  • esool wrote:
    I have only been playing hold'em for a couple of months now so I am trying to learn as much as I can..Isn't raising 77 in ep a ballsy move? It worked out well for you but can you imangine if an A would have come on the flop with that 7? Shouldn't the mp player with AA have went all in when you raised before the flop?

Raising 77 in ep is a small risk, depending on the size you're commiting with your raise. However, if someone comes over top of your raise, it makes your decision easier to consider laying it down.

"It worked out well for you but can you imangine if an A would have come on the flop with that 7? "

Yea, in most cases, the player with 77 will lose all his chips if he makes his set of 7s vs a set of aces on the flop...it's just not very likely.

"Shouldn't the mp player with AA have went all in when you raised before the flop?"

He was likely trying to slowplay and trap his oppenents...which in this case hurt him very badly.

This is why there is the saying: "It's better to win a small pot than lose a big one"
  • haven't had much time, but played for another 20 minutes or so...added another $70 in .50-1 NL. Most of it was from one hand where I flopped the nut straight with Q10 vs a set of jacks..

Ahhh...if he'd only had more $$ infront of him.
  • Shouldn't the mp player with AA have went all in when you raised before the flop?

Yes, of course. Especially since the AA (I believe) only had $18 at the start of the hand. There is less reason to set a trap, if it will only make you an extra $13 if it works to perfection.

I'm also not too sure about making it $5 to go with 77. Seems like limping in or folding (depending on pre-flop game texture) makes more sense.

I'm not sure if "ballsy" is a compliment or a put-down in the context there. :)

ScottyZ
  • partypoker is where all the worst players hang out

Agreed. What's the fascination people have with UB anyway?

For some reason, Party is like Brantford on steroids. :)

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    partypoker is where all the worst players hang out

Agreed. What's the fascination people have with UB anyway?

For some reason, Party is like Brantford on steroids. :)

ScottyZ

I have an easier time playing better players...it's easier to put someone on a hand. I tried PP but was continually sucked out on, yay, I'd have top pair, top kicker but would be taken down by somone who called $10-15 preflop with 84os and made 2 pair
  • It's a serious leak in your game if you can't beat bad players.

ScottyZ
  • Would you guys recomend partypoker over pokerstars?
  • Depends on what you like. Pokerstars tourneys and software are supposed to be really good. But for the (lack of) skill of the players, you can't beat Party.
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    It's a serious leak in your game if you can't beat bad players.

ScottyZ

I can, I just prefer to play vs those who know that game.
  • vinsanity wrote:
    Depends on what you like. Pokerstars tourneys and software are supposed to be really good. But for the (lack of) skill of the players, you can't beat Party.

pokerstars is very nice for tournies and sit 'n gos.

I played the Canadian Championship of online poker on Stars awhile back and really enjoyed it.
  • I've already said this lots of times, but:

Party = Cash games
    Stars = Tournaments

Party has the easier players to beat, but Stars seems to attract a fair number of loosy-gooseys to the tournaments.

The Stars cash games (even low-limit) are considerably tougher than Party.

It's possible that the tournament players are actually softer at Party; however, a lot of their tournament implementaions make it tough to beat and/or not nice to play there. Initial stacks are too short relative to the blind structure for example.

PokerStars simply knows very well how to run a tournament. And this matters to me as a player.

Both of these are well established, well populated sites, and I've never had a real money problem with either one. I'd recommend both.

ScottyZ
  • Awesome! that tells me what I need to know, thanks guys.

Bill
  • sloth wrote:
    I played the Canadian Championship of online poker on Stars awhile back and really enjoyed it.

LOL I played that to got knocked out in three hands. My trip Kings lost to 2s full of Kings!
  • hrmmm...maybe it was me? :)

I actually held 1st place from about the 3rd hand in the tournament until it was down to 2 tables...but yea, it was long enough ago that I wouldn't be able to remember if I made 2's full early in it.
  • Yeah, that was a great tournament... $2500 initial stacks and the blind increases twice as slow as usual. I went out around the middle stages with my KK all-in preflop vs AK and losing. Oh well! :)

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    I've already said this lots of times, but:

Party = Cash games
    Stars = Tournaments

ScottyZ

Scotty, I am going to try out out pokerstars for their tournaments. Do they have a refer a friend program? I went to the site and could not find one. If they do have one let me know and you can refer me and and perhaps we both can get a couple of bonus dollars?
  • I'm not aware of PokerStars having a refer-a-friend promo, but thanks for the offer.

In general, PokerStars doesn't offer promos of any kind very often.

Look for me at the $5 sit-n-go's :) I use the name ScottyZ at all the online poker sties.

ScottyZ
  • Cool. I will look for you. :)
  • Anonymous wrote:
    Cool. I will look for you. :)

Oops, forgot to sign in..
  • I'm djw666 - fear me!!! :twisted:

:D
  • Dude, I fear everyone! :)
  • hahaha good point. I've definately been in there with some sharks... yikes.
  • I have been taking a beating lately! :evil: I usually play these tournaments loose in the beginning pre flop while the blinds are still small but lately nothing seems to be working for me. :? I have tightened up on my game but it seems that when I finally do get good cards I am getting beat out by the nuts. Unfortunately I only started tracking my online playing now so I do not actually know how many games in a row I have lost out on.
    I have won 3 or 4 tourny's and placed second once or twice. I have been playing the $5 & $10 tourny's at pokerroom.com for about 4 weeks or so.
    Anyone have any advice?
  • Anyone have any advice?

First we meed some more information. Why don't you post some hand histories from hands where you think you made particularly good or bad decisions, or especially hands where you were unsure of the correct play. These sorts of close decisions can teach us a lot about how to think about poker.

I generally play *very* tight in the first 2 or 3 rounds of a $5 sit-n-go. There is nothing inherently wrong with limping in with drawing hands (like AJs, pocket pairs, 67s) when you have the right opportunity (based on positon and pre-flop game texture) when the blinds are very small in the early rounds. However, I find that you will be called more than usual-- there is no pushing anyone out of pots in the early rounds. You'd better have a monster if you're going to be in there.

I have gone as far as folding all (non-blind) hands for the first 3 rounds (30 minutes) of a $5 sit-n-go. The first hand I played was AA, there was a raise and I moved all-in, was called by two players, tripled though, and became the chip leader. That's a little dramatic (I reviewed the history and the best hands I had for the first three rounds were KT and 65s), but it really brings home the importance of not losing chips over winning chips in the early stages. It's not just that you don't want to go broke... you really want to save every single chip you can for future opportunities.
    I have won 3 or 4 tourny's and placed second once or twice.

This doesn't really tell us much. Did you play 10 tournaments? Or 100? Without knowing which these results could range from impressive to piss poor. And with so few tournament wins, I would say these results are highly driven by luck.

A *much* better indicator of results is profit/loss measured in money. And better still is your money profit/loss per hour. As S & M put it, "money is the way the game is scored".
    I have tightened up on my game but it seems that when I finally do get good cards I am getting beat out by the nuts.

It might help to see some of these types of hands specifically. Are you talking about getting drawn out on? Or are you calling the other player's all-in bets when they have a made hand?

One last thing... how are the players at Pokerroom.com (or wherever you play)? Are they much worse than you? Much better? About the same? (And don't forget the "30 minutes" quote from Rounders...) Skill differential between you and your opponents is the number one most important factor in your results. Make sure at the very least, you're not swimming in a shark tank, and you should preferably be sitting comfortably at the sushi bar.

ScottyZ
  • I will record a couple of hands from today if I get a chance to play online otherwise I am playing in a home tourny tonight So I will have some more info shortly...

Thanks
  • I will start a new topic with a hand from today that we can analyze.
  • My preference is Ultimate Bet. I think the software is faster and they deal more hands/hour...