My Stats - Opinions Please

Here are my Poker Stars stats. I don't know how to analyze them. Any opinions?

984 hands played and saw flop:
- 168 times out of 197 while in small blind (85%)
- 165 times out of 196 while in big blind (84%)
- 218 times out of 591 in other positions (36%)
- a total of 551 times out of 984 (55%)

Pots won at showdown - 79 out of 160 (49%)
Pots won without showdown - 109

Comments

• What's the game specifically? NL or limit or tourney? What stakes? I'd have to guess this is shorthanded but maybe I'm on crack. Whatever you're playing you're picking up a ridiculous number of pots.
  • Hey, you're right it is typically short handed NL.
  • Hey, you're right it is typically short handed NL.

That's what I figured. Pretty tough to pick up that many uncontested pots in limit. Very aggry-essive. I'm guessing you're playing a bunch of weak tight players constantly stealing and constantly defending your blinds. If that's the case, the stat I find the most impressive is your win at showdown percentage. It seems very high for playing a very loose-aggressive game. Doyle would be proud (since you're constantly picking up so many small pots that you can afford to take the worst of it on occasion in the big pots since they're paid for). I'm curious as to what limits you're beating your opponents into submission at (since I'd have to guess at lower limits people would be more inclined to call you with weak hands).
  • I usually play at $.25/$.50 and $.50/$1.

I find smart river bets win the most pots for me. Also an over bet on the flop with an Ace on board chases almost everyone, except those holding an Ace of course.
  • As I gaze into my crystal ball, I see... opponents who are veeeeeeeery passive pre-flop.

[eerie music and warewolf howling]

ScottyZ, resident psychic for, friend to, and network administrator of, the Psychic Friends Network
  • I was going to say the same thing. Only 35 odd times have you not played from the big blind. Either you are hardly ever getting raised or you are very agressive at defending your blinds.
  • For starters I'm not as experienced as a lot of you guys but I saw those numbers and had to comment. They seem VERY high to me. The win percentage is very impressive with the number of hands played. I know some people like to play a lot of hands and others prefer not to and I guess it does make a difference if you are playing on a short handed table as well. Also makes a huge difference what stakes you are playing but my experience in small stakes games is that you get chased down like a wounded animal. I tend to be a tighter player and I dont see a lot of flops. I guess there are arguments on both sides. I just hate calling with a marginal hand and flopping bottom pair or even high pair no kicker, get sucked in until the river and finding yourself holding nothing but your.............second best hand.
  • I'm not sure if its just me, but is anyone else bothered by his low % at winning pots at showdown? Or is that not that big of a deal due to the number of pots he has won?
  • I'm not sure if its just me, but is anyone else bothered by his low % at winning pots at showdown?

I actually thought it was HIGH. You're right that, this number tends to be on the low side for a tight player. But he's NOT playing a tight game. He's going after pots everywhere, and picking up tons of small pots (and probably the occaisional big one with a well timed bluff). And yet he STILL generally has a winner half the time it's shown down. In general that tells me that likely:

a) he's getting some loose calls when he does pick up hands (since his table image might be a bit reckless)
    b) He's picking the right spots to bluff and isn't getting picked off very often (and is probably avoiding traps as well)
  • This is fantastic. I was wondering what the opinions would be. Funny, I never thought of myself as reckless. In these low-limit NL shorthanded games I am aggressive, it pays off but you do get chased and rivered a lot (as the 49% states, I guess).

In tournament play, I am a lot different. Hmmm maybe I should see my stats on Paradise and compare the two. Although the stats will be skewed since I play a lot of heads up there.
  • Funny, I never thought of myself as reckless.

I didn't necessarily say you were. I said it might seem like you're reckless to your opponents. There's only so much you can take from the stats though. A high VPIP could result in getting dealt a lot of playable hands. A high VPIP in the blinds could result from aggressive blind defence, or passive opponents to your right that would never steal. All the uncontested pots could result from low-risk steal attempts vs. weak tight players to your left. That being said, winning pots isn't the important thing, winning chips is. (eg. winning 50 2 dollar pots and then losing a 200 dollar pot isn't really long term profitable). I'd fathom a guess though that your win rate is more than likely positive based on the numbers...