The Steal

It's beginning to dawn on me that this could be the edge I'm missing in my NLHE game, especially in the later stages of an MTT...how best to incorporate it? I hardly ever do it and it really is more of a semi-bluff at best...thanks for any discussion.

Bill

Comments

• In a MTT i usually raise pre flop by 3 x BB. I wait till i'm at the button or just before with suited connectors. If played back at I usually see the flop then play accordingly. NEVER steal from the big stacks or small stacks. The small will go all in.... they big ones can afford to push back. Near the cut off is where I really push and try to steal to build up some chips as everyone is tight to make the money.
  • Your cards don't necessarily matter when you're stealing. Your steal attmept is based on your opponents'previous tendencies.
  • GTA Poker wrote:
    Your cards don't necessarily matter when you're stealing. Your steal attmept is based on your opponents'previous tendencies.

Haha, they matter when someone decides to call youre 10-2o steal-raise.
  • This makes sense as I've heard it's correct to steal from the medium stacks.
    AcidJoe wrote:
    In a MTT i usually raise pre flop by 3 x BB.  I wait till i'm at the button or just before with suited connectors.  If played back at I usually see the flop then play accordingly.  NEVER steal from the big stacks or small stacks.  The small will go all in.... they big ones can afford to push back.  Near the cut off is where I really push and try to steal to build up some chips as everyone is tight to make the money. 
  • With a meduim to large stack, Steal at will. If there is a call, play it like if you have the nuts! A reraise, play the opponet.
  • pick up a copy of harignton on holdem vol.2 'the endgame'

he covers the topic extremely well...
  • zero wrote:
    GTA Poker wrote:
    Your cards don't necessarily matter when you're stealing. Your steal attmept is based on your opponents'previous tendencies.

Haha, they matter when someone decides to call youre 10-2o steal-raise.

not so much actually