ARRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!

....I satyed in cause I thought the BB had AA, and since he only had a few bucks left, i thought I'd still win a big side pot. HOW COULD THAT GUY PLAY Q9o WITH ALL THAT RAISING!!!!

Oh, and before you comment on it, I wasnt worried about Lanie, when he was raising I was 90% sure he had the AJ. He was generally being very aggressive in hands.

PokerStars Game #2319447965: Hold'em Limit ($1/$2) - 2005/08/12 - 01:44:37 (ET)
Table 'Propus IV' Seat #10 is the button
Seat 1: LanieGrace ($27 in chips)
Seat 2: FirstEdition ($9.50 in chips)
Seat 3: EAC27 ($21.25 in chips)
Seat 4: LENHOFF ($29.75 in chips)
Seat 5: poppabear69 ($50 in chips)
Seat 6: MHSSR ($44.50 in chips)
Seat 7: CFrye45 ($54.75 in chips)
Seat 8: zero_333 ($18.50 in chips)
Seat 9: gravitas72 ($68.50 in chips)
Seat 10: Malf1 ($26.25 in chips)
LanieGrace: posts small blind $0.50
FirstEdition: posts big blind $1
poppabear69: posts big blind $1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to zero_333 [Kh Kc]
EAC27: calls $1
LENHOFF: calls $1
poppabear69: checks
MHSSR: folds
CFrye45: calls $1
zero_333: raises $1 to $2
gravitas72: folds
Malf1: folds
LanieGrace: calls $1.50
FirstEdition: raises $1 to $3
EAC27: folds
LENHOFF: calls $2
poppabear69: folds
CFrye45: calls $2
zero_333: raises $1 to $4
Betting is capped
LanieGrace: calls $2
FirstEdition: calls $1
*** FLOP *** [Js 5c Th]
LanieGrace: checks
FirstEdition: bets $1
zero_333: calls $1
LanieGrace: raises $1 to $2
FirstEdition: raises $1 to $3
zero_333: calls $2
LanieGrace: raises $1 to $4
Betting is capped
FirstEdition: calls $1
zero_333: calls $1
*** TURN *** [Js 5c Th] [3h]
LanieGrace: bets $2
FirstEdition: calls $1.50 and is all-in
*** RIVER *** [Js 5c Th 3h] [8s]
LanieGrace: checks
LENHOFF: bets $2
CFrye45: folds
LanieGrace: calls $2
*** SHOW DOWN ***
LENHOFF: shows [Qc 9s] (a straight, Eight to Queen)
zero_333: mucks hand
LanieGrace: mucks hand
LENHOFF collected $8 from side pot
FirstEdition: mucks hand
LENHOFF collected $48.50 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $57.50 Main pot $48.50. Side pot $8. | Rake $1
Board [Js 5c Th 3h 8s]
Seat 1: LanieGrace (small blind) mucked [Jd As]
Seat 2: FirstEdition (big blind) mucked [9d 8d]
Seat 3: EAC27 folded before Flop
Seat 4: LENHOFF showed [Qc 9s] and won ($56.50) with a straight, Eight to Queen
Seat 5: poppabear69 folded before Flop
Seat 6: MHSSR folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: CFrye45 folded on the River
Seat 8: zero_333 mucked [Kh Kc]
Seat 9: gravitas72 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 10: Malf1 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

This just had to be the worst thing thats happened to me playing online.

Comments

• zero wrote:
    This just had to be the worst thing thats happened to me playing online.

You haven't played enough.
  • Your line with an large overpair is to cap/call/call/call ? Thats really bad.

Don't be so quick to see monsters under the bed.
  • BBC Z wrote:
    Your line with an large overpair is to cap/call/call/call ? Thats really bad.

Don't be so quick to see monsters under the bed.

No, normally I put in all the raises I can. But with the cap preflop and the flop 10 high, i wanted to make my move on the turn because I didnt want the other players to fold right away. I ran into some trouble when everyone else had their raise button stuck down.
  • zero wrote:
    No, normally I put in all the raises I can. But with the cap preflop and the flop 10 high, i wanted to make my move on the turn because I didnt want the other players to fold right away. I ran into some trouble when everyone else had their raise button stuck down.

So you want to play one pair against as many opponents as possible? On the flop, you could have bought the button with a raise, retained initiative and (since the way the hand played out) faced your opponents with the decision to call 3 bets.. But the way you played the hand, you got bailed out by the checkraise by the SB. How do you feel about your play when the SB calls and only 1 bet goes in on the flop?

But by your logic, the worst play was the turn. You were waiting for a blank turn, got it... and called?! WHY?
  • this river i took while reading this is gonna tilt me for the whole day.
    this is an ARRRRGGGG.

in fact, the beat in the original post, being posted could tilt me by itslef.
    It was 1-2 limit holdem, fold on the flop next time in that situation and you will do much better long run.  Sounds silly i know, but trust me.

Hand #7526159-6903 at Chelsea (No Limit Hold'em)
    Powered by UltimateBet
    Started at 12/Aug/05 14:47:09

PhineasTaylor is at seat 0 with $392.
         janecj2000 is at seat 1 with $222.30.
         tommytuna is at seat 2 with $530.40.
         take1 is at seat 3 with $370.20.
         CanadaKev is at seat 4 with $432.20.
         BANKROLLME is at seat 5 with $133.40.
         The button is at seat 2.

take1 posts the small blind of $2.
         CanadaKev posts the big blind of $4.

PhineasTaylor:  -- --
         janecj2000:  -- --
         tommytuna:  -- --
         take1:  -- --
         CanadaKev:  3d Ah
         BANKROLLME:  -- --

Pre-flop:

BANKROLLME folds.   PhineasTaylor folds.   janecj2000
              folds.   tommytuna folds.   take1 raises to $8. 
              CanadaKev calls.   

Flop (board: 3s Kh As):

take1 bets $16.   CanadaKev raises to $50.   take1
              calls.   

Turn (board: 3s Kh As 6d):

take1 checks.   CanadaKev bets $120.   take1 goes
              all-in for $312.20.   CanadaKev calls.   

River (board: 3s Kh As 6d Qh):

(no action in this round)

Showdown:

take1 shows Qd Ac.
         take1 has Qd Ac Kh As Qh: two pair, aces and queens.
         CanadaKev shows 3d Ah.
         CanadaKev has 3d Ah 3s Kh As: two pair, aces and threes.

Hand #7526159-6903 Summary:

$3 is raked from a pot of $740.40.
         take1 wins $737.40 with two pair, aces and queens.
  • BBC Z wrote:
    zero wrote:

So you want to play one pair against as many opponents as possible? On the flop, you could have bought the button with a raise, retained initiative and (since the way the hand played out) faced your opponents with the decision to call 3 bets.. But the way you played the hand, you got bailed out by the checkraise by the SB. How do you feel about your play when the SB calls and only 1 bet goes in on the flop?

But by your logic, the worst play was the turn. You were waiting for a blank turn, got it... and called?! WHY?

That was the plan, but after the capped flop I was a little worried and scared out of raising.
  • Zero,

Gotta bet people out of the hand, be the aggressor. Why would anyone be scared of what you're holding there? Yeah, you can slowplay and catch people by surprise, but thats more meant for NL where you can make a big hit.

In limit, bet your good hands, and bet them hard. This play and a lot of the games we've played online together, I would rate that you are too passive post-flop. You make raises pre-flop, but don't come out betting post-flop.

I might be too aggressive sometimes, so take it with a grain of salt.
  • this is an ARRRRGGGG?

Tough flopping 2 pair but the fact the he raised you preflop, bet the pot on the flop, smooth called and then check raised you on the turn didn't tell you to back off? Looks like a case where both players played their hands only and never stopped to consider what the other might be holding.
  • Losing to an open-ender spiking on the river is the worst beat you've suffered while playing poker?!
  • Soup wrote:
    Losing to an open-ender spiking on the river is the worst beat you've suffered while playing poker?!

I dont mean that its the most unlikely, I mean it was killer because it was a huge pot for 1/2 and I never expected someone to play Q9 off into a capped preflop.
  • Zero

Your opponent made a grave mistake preflop. He played Q9 to loosely. You played your KK very well preflop, nice hand (preflop).

HOWEVER, your opponent succeeded in playing Q9 correctly after the flop. But you didn't. You failed to raise the flop waiting for the turn to put in a raise, and you didnt raise the turn when you were given the exact conditions that you were hoping for!! I would have probably waited myself, considering there were 4981357684 players preflop *AND* it was capped. (gotta love those loosey games).

An open ended straight draw coming in on the river is completely normal. He had many outs to beat you. *If* you were behind on the flop or turn, you only had 2 outs to improve. He also had quite a pot equity edge. His draw coming in around 30-35% of the time against 4 opponents. he's only contributing 20% of the money on the flop. A  pot equity edge of around 12% is VERY big. his bets and raises are for value. You can raise too, because you have good chances of winning.

I think you should have put in a raise somewhere during this hand (besides preflop). You failed to protect your hand and failed to (further) increase the size of the pot with a hand that you *definately* should have considered being the best hand at the time. Don't always be afraid of ACES. They aren't ALWAYS out there. if you play as if they were always out there, you are not winning enough $$ as you should be with such a premium (and very rare) hand. Always put in bets and raises when you think you have the best hand, and or, you have a big draw to a big hand that will come in on the river more than your share of the time.

thoughts........................