Very early level of 30+3 SNG....

All players are unknown. You have AK os on button. UTG min raises to 60, one caller. You raise from button to 210.
Blindsfold and UTG Re-raises to 750.

What do you do?

Comments

• I fold, even a bad player probably has a pair so why put your tournament on the line on a coinflip at best this early on. If he's a good player you're really not going to like what he shows you. You would need a solid read saying he would play AQ or AJ this way to consider calling. Also, the min raise screams monster (or small-mid pair), few people really want action with AQ or AJ so make bigger raises (usually).
  • Too early to put your tournament life at risk. I would fold, and wait for a better read before making a big move. You will get his chips eventually if you snife out he's a bad player.
  • I know most people will disagree, but i like to gamble AK. If he has pockets, its 50/50, and if you win youre in a dominant position. If hes playing AQs or AJs, hes dominated. I go all in.
  • If he has pockets, its 50/50

Ya, if it's 22-QQ. What range of hands do you credit him with making the big reraise with after he min raised? I'm guessing QQ at worse, but why would he min raise QQ? Does he want 5 or 6 to the flop? You're in rough shape if he has KK or AA here and I have to think it's FAR too likely he does if he's any kind of a player (although I think the min raise is a poor play). If he's bad enough to make this move with 22 are you thrilled that you got all your chips in the middle as a slight dog vs. a donkey? I think not... I think it's a clear fold.
  • I would fold here......the bet of 60 seems to me that he has a very strong hand but want players in it. Then your re-raise made him very happy (very angry), so he went all-in....hoping you would call......either that of he is a complete knob and has A-Suited and is bluffing at it.

Did you consider just calling? When ever I raise (especially when there has been a raise in front of me) I always consider what will I do if some one goes all-in?
  • I did consider just calling here, and yes did consider the re-raise before I raised. I had decided to fold and did fold, but not before I almost talked myself into calling. Had he continued to slow play a monster(KK,AA) and just called my raise, and I hit the flop, I'm sure I'd go broke. Missed the flop and I'd have to fold to any pressure. Not sure the call would be a better play. Had he calld my raise I'd assume I would be no worse than a race.

FWIW, I later saw a SS (5BB) go all in, followed by a min raiser and this same guy raised all-in for about 2.5 times the total bet of the first raiser (raised to 2600 from about 1000 of the raiser). The raiser folded, and the guyed flipped his AQ os against the SS. That just made me second guess even more, but I still think folding was the right play. Had I had the chance to witness this play before mine, I'd likely have to call and take my chances that he's over-playing a hand.
  • You were offered about 2-1 on the pot. As long as he doesn't have AA or KK, it is a very attractive price for you. I'm a bit wary of someone min raising from UTG. He is either tricky or really crappy. I'd give him credit for AA in this case. Don't confuse his play later in the game. Strategy at the end of a SNG is supposed to be different than what you'd use at the beginning. PCMIIWTM