Was this too aggressive/reckless, or just unlucky?

Ok, my tournament gamehas gone and left me, back to the books because I have obviously forgotten anything I learned in the last 6 months..........I was enjoying a nice profitable run at the 45 player MTT's on Stars (yes they are only $1.20 but you can win ones of dollars, $14 to be exact!!!!)
Anyways, not to rant on on-line poker...because it's been done to death...BUT...I must say I have never seen so much runner-runner crap in a long time, it seems I am getting sucked out on way too often (which if my wife was involved wouldn't be a bad thing, but she's not, it's just me and my mouse!)...or am I just too reckless...I was going to go over the top pre-flop to try and take the pot, but I thought I had enough of a hand to call and hope someone else enters the pot, more chips for me right??????

Here's my bust out hand last night, after cruising along nicely thinking, hey...I'm doing ok...could I have found my game again???

NO! I didn't!!!!

I was going to push pre-flop, but I did not because at the time I was 2nd in chips with about half the field left, iamcurb was the chip leader and I didn't think pushing my stack in pre-flop was a good move, when the flop showed me trip Q's was I too reckless going all-in, my thinking was that I would either take iamcurb out of the hand and be a heavy favourite to take down a nice little pot....or be a heavy favourite against anything but KK, I did not have anyone on KK, I did have iamcurb on AK-AT. I believe I either made a post flop error or just got an unlucky suck out...but man there has been so many runner-runner crap lately it's really frustrating!

PokerStars Game #2250934648: Tournament #10839494, Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2005/08/03 - 00:47:34 (ET)

Table '10839494 3' Seat #5 is the button

Seat 1: Artist13 (2335 in chips)
Seat 4: pdjplano (975 in chips)
Seat 5: crazyraise (2420 in chips)
Seat 6: Big_E_67 (4075 in chips)
Seat 7: mguentz (1980 in chips)
Seat 8: iamcurb (4225 in chips)
Seat 9: dickyd99 (3330 in chips)
Big_E_67: posts small blind 50
mguentz: posts big blind 100

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to Big_E_67 [Qc Qh]
iamcurb: calls 100
dickyd99: folds
Artist13: folds
pdjplano: raises 875 to 975 and is all-in
crazyraise: folds
Big_E_67: calls 925
mguentz: folds
iamcurb: calls 875

*** FLOP *** [6h Qs Ks]

Big_E_67: bets 3100 and is all-in
iamcurb: calls 3100
pdjplano said, "lol"

*** TURN *** [6h Qs Ks] [Ac]

*** RIVER *** [6h Qs Ks Ac] [Ad]

*** SHOW DOWN ***

Big_E_67: shows [Qc Qh] (a full house, Queens full of Aces)
iamcurb: shows [As Kc] (a full house, Aces full of Kings)
pdjplano said, "oh my"
Big_E_67 said, "nh"
iamcurb collected 6200 from side pot
pdjplano: shows [Ah Qd] (a full house, Aces full of Queens)
iamcurb collected 3025 from main pot

*** SUMMARY ***

Total pot 9225 Main pot 3025. Side pot 6200. | Rake 0
Board [6h Qs Ks Ac Ad]
Seat 1: Artist13 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: pdjplano showed [Ah Qd] and lost with a full house, Aces full of Queens
Seat 5: crazyraise (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Big_E_67 (small blind) showed [Qc Qh] and lost with a full house, Queens full of Aces
Seat 7: mguentz (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: iamcurb showed [As Kc] and won (9225) with a full house, Aces full of Kings
Seat 9: dickyd99 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Comments

• Pocket Q's, a Q hits the board, and you didn't figure anyone for KK... all my money's going into that pot.

Course, I seem to get runner-runner'd a lot too... Look at it this way, if you were to check it down to the river, and saw you had a full house Q's of A's, would you be able to fold it? Were you THAT sure that someone had AK? If you can fold that (which I think is VERY hard to do), then yea, you played it wrong, but if you'd have called, well, that's poker.

Mark
  • With this hand, I would lose all my money too. The big thing to remember (IMHO) is that your read was correct, and you made him pay to draw at the third K. The fact that he hit the A's instead is just plain ugly poker.
  • This post is useless.

What advice are you looking for? Fold Queens preflop? Fold the set? C'mon!
  • DrTyore wrote:
    Pocket Q's, a Q hits the board, and you didn't figure anyone for KK... all my money's going into that pot.

Look at it this way, if you were to check it down to the river, and saw you had a full house Q's of A's, would you be able to fold it? 

Mark

You're right Mark, I woulda called anything with this hand, just another lame bad beat story.....now, where's my rum?
    BBC Z wrote:
    This post is useless.

Sorry to waste your time, I know I would have called any raise with this hand and gotten all my chips in at some point regardless, I guess I was simply wondering if I should have pushed all-in over top of the initial all-in and try to go heads up with that person, ie: was my call a mistake? I realize I was a heavy favourite, this is an excellent hand to get my money in on but he drew out on me, end of story. I also wonder if my stack size compared to the rest of the field warrants more cautious play? With two Aces hitting turn and river iamcurb most definitely would have pushed all-in and I would have called so I guess the point is moot.
  • Dude hit the case ace on the river to beat you, I'll put my chips in everytime thinking they'll need perfect perfect to win. This same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago in a LIVE game. I don't think the chip leaders call was a great one, he only had top pair top kicker. I've been in the same spot with aces, similar flop with a KQx and been very close to folding. I called and the guy had trip queens, right read and wrong call. Nothing you can do here, obviously.

stp
  • I guess I was simply wondering if I should have pushed all-in over top of the initial all-in and try to go heads up with that person, ie: was my call a mistake?

I wouldn't go so far as saying that calling pre-flop was a mistake. However, in a $1+$0.20 buy-in tournament, simply pushing all-in pre-flop is the superior play I think.

ScottyZ
  • Thanks Scotty, that's what I was looking for!
  • BBC Z wrote:
    This post is useless.

Wow... that was rude.

:D

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote:
    BBC Z wrote:
    This post is useless.

Wow... that was rude.

Mark

Oh I see what you mean.

I had originally assumed that the "This post is useless" remark was self-referential, possibly some kind of a warning.

;)

ScottyZ

P.S. This post is useless.
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    DrTyore wrote:
    BBC Z wrote:
    This post is useless.

Wow... that was rude.

Mark

Oh I see what you mean.

I had originally assumed that the "This post is useless" remark was self-referential, possibly some kind of a warning.

;)

ScottyZ

P.S. This post is useless.

I don't know if internal thoughts being posted is useles..

HOwever, if someone disagrees with this, that would mean that

THIS post is useless

Mark
  • I had originally assumed that the "This post is useless" remark was self-referential, possibly some kind of a warning.

It could be taken in all of those contexts. My post, the OP.. the entire thread... all equally useless.
    Wow... that was rude.

Mark

You new here?
  • My post, the OP.. the entire thread... all equally useless.

How nihilistic of you to post here again.

ScottyZ
  • I find it amusing that this post has went from:

1) Bad beat bitching.
    2) Bitching about posting about bad beats.
    3) Bitching about bitching about posting about bad beats.
    4) ...

I think this one falls safely into 3 or 4... :)
  • ScoobyD wrote:
    I think this one falls safely into 3 or 4... :)
    Technically, 3.2 (but you can have a 4.3 for artistic :) )
  • I think that the statistical analysis is a useless post.

We're going deep boys.

Mark
  • you know what, hold'em is useless....

my new passion is euchre and pineapple for $500 a point!