Pocket Js...... ARRRGGGHHHH

For about the 3 millionth time I was busted out of a tourny out of the money because of pocket Js. They are my demise, they are a jinx and my ultimate downfall.

$33 tourny, 847 people entered.

I made it to the second break short stacked. Blinds were 250/500 and I had 3300 chips. I was in about 90th out of 144 left, top 60 pay.

I am BB and get dealt JJ, all fold to an MP who raises to 1000, all fold to me and here I have to decide do I play the dreaded Js, or do I fold them and lose 500? How can I fold them I say to myself, it's only a 2x raise, be aggressive, be be aggressive!! So I push all in.

The raiser now takes almost his full 20 seconds before deciding to call. He had me covered by maybe 1100 chips, a call and loss puts him severely short stacked.

Board comes all rags (IMO)

Turns out he had KQ sooted and hit his Q on the turn.

Did I play the Js wrong? I always seem to get busted out on Js. Should I have just called, or thrown back a 500 raise? Or should I have folded to a small raise?

Comments

• I would move all-in.
    Blinds were 250/500 and I had 3300 chips.

Before receiving your hole cards, your stack size (relative to the blinds) should suggest to you that, most of the time, moving all-in or folding are the only pre-flop options you have left. It is a little strange when you face a min-raise when you are in the BB yourself, but I still think that JJ is more than enough hand to send the rest of those chips in pre-flop. Your opponent may very well make a juicy looking 2-1 pot odds call on you with a lot of hands that are worse than 2-1 dogs to Jacks.

Is the stop-and-go play a good option here? I don't think so. On such a short stack, I'd choose the max +EV play over the variance reducing one.

Folding the JJ pre-flop here would be very very very gross.

I think you made the right play by pushing all-in pre-flop.

ScottyZ
  • I always kick myself pushing preflop in this position, IMO calling and then pushing the flop wins you the pot in that situation and only gives him 3 cards to make his 6 outs. Doing so allows your to fold on a high flop and gives you 1 more shot at moving all in preflop with your now shorter and 1 play all-in or fold stack.
    Of course pushing all-in preflop lets you take a shot at doubling while my play doesn't necessarily...up to you:)
  • Amen.

I think I'm going to start removing all the jacks from the decks before playing as I am cursed every time with them.
  • I agree, I would not fold JJ here either, I think calling is a mistake as well, with your stack size I would have pushed all-in as well. I think you got your chips in with a good hand, not a bad play IMHO just an unlucky TURN of events.JJ has taken me out of a few tourneys as well but I have had my share of success with them as well.
  • I don't know about this one. It seems pretty straight forward. But how has your opponent been playing? Has he been folding to re-raises? Do you think he will fold when you push (any fold equity)? If not I might call and push if no paint hits the board. After all that said I might push pre-flop aswell if I feel that I might get some fold equity with the play.
    Now lets say I have 99 or any lower pp. With these hands I probabbly push, I'm ready for a race. With JJ I have a little more power there are three over cards that scare me and I can get away from the hand if a K and A come on the flop.
    Now pushing here probabbly is the correct play.....I'm just throwing different thoughts out there of things that I might do in different cirumstances.

Wader
  • I actually think this is the perfect place for a stop and go.

Post flop the pot is $2250 (antes?) and you will have 2300. If you fire on the flop you will definately add fold equity.

Do you want to ad 30% to your stack with no risk or do you want to go bust 50% of the time. Especially on the bubble, I will take the safe route.
  • I think I get called all-in preflop by a smaller pair here often enough to make me not want to try a stop and go when he might fold.
  • I may be way off since I am still a rook,

Couldn't our friend have seen the flop and then jam all his chips after the flop?

Since no faces hit, he could only be scared of two pair combos or possibly trips.

Just a thought.
  • YOu have described the "stop and go play" perfectly.
  • Couldn't our friend have seen the flop and then jam all his chips after the flop?

Since no faces hit, he could only be scared of two pair combos or possibly trips.

Sounds to me like he was thinking of the "call and look at the flop" play.

The first sentence above by itself is the stop-and-go play of course.

ScottyZ
  • true... true...