Bad laydown?

This is from five minutes ago in today's Stars $215.  I was pretty new at the table and had no thoughts about any of the players involved.  Would anyone have called/raised in this spot?

PokerStars Game #2177605370: Tournament #9857514, Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2005/07/24 - 17:06:33 (ET)
Table '9857514 285' Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: slink69 (3440 in chips)
Seat 2: mrGunners (4120 in chips)
Seat 3: golferrick (3625 in chips)
Seat 4: hotmatt (4285 in chips)
Seat 5: sheckler (2890 in chips)
Seat 6: gamblemoore (1205 in chips)
Seat 7: all aces (5305 in chips)
Seat 8: branco (2715 in chips)
Seat 9: tutoy (2575 in chips)
all aces: posts small blind 25
branco: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to all aces [Js Jc]
tutoy: calls 50
slink69: folds
mrGunners: calls 50
golferrick: folds
hotmatt: folds
sheckler: raises 300 to 350
gamblemoore: raises 855 to 1205 and is all-in
all aces: folds
branco: folds
tutoy: calls 1155
mrGunners: folds
sheckler: raises 1685 to 2890 and is all-in
tutoy: calls 1370 and is all-in
*** FLOP *** [5d Td 9h]
*** TURN *** [5d Td 9h] [7d]
*** RIVER *** [5d Td 9h 7d] [6h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
tutoy: shows [Jd Ac] (high card Ace)
sheckler: shows [Ah Kd] (high card Ace - King kicker)
sheckler collected 2740 from side pot
gamblemoore: shows [4c 4d] (a pair of Fours)
gamblemoore collected 3740 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 6480 Main pot 3740. Side pot 2740. | Rake 0
Board [5d Td 9h 7d 6h]
Seat 1: slink69 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: mrGunners folded before Flop
Seat 3: golferrick folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: hotmatt folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: sheckler showed [Ah Kd] and won (2740) with high card Ace
Seat 6: gamblemoore (button) showed [4c 4d] and won (3740) with a pair of Fours
Seat 7: all aces (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: branco (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 9: tutoy showed [Jd Ac] and lost with high card Ace

Comments

• IMHO, facing a raise and a re-raise, you made a good fold. You are big stack at table, wait for better opportunity with better table position.
  • I would have folded given that you had the original raiser with almost 3k yet to act behind you and no read on the players.

You would think that the very best you could hope for would be 3 overcards to your pair or 2 overcards and pocket tens or nines, and of course you know the other scenarios.

Good play.
  • that's a tough spot, raise, then reraise all in with 2 limpers and the original raiser to act behind you, i'd say it's either fold or push, and it's not a real good spot to push, if MrGunners was out of the pot and sheckler had say 2000 instead of ~ 3000, i would really consider pushing all in with what i figure to be the best hand, but I think you made the right decision. It is a tough one though.
  • Good fold. Just hope there are a lot more guys like these at your table.
  • Yeah, obviously when I saw what these guys flipped over I wished I'd stayed in the hand (essentially, I was against two overs and an underpair, getting a great price considering the number of players that ended up being in the pot). 

Who knew?

In most spots, I think this is a good fold, particularly because of the players behind me left to act.  If there was nobody behind me to act, I might have pushed all-in when the action got to me, putting the decision to sheckler and hopefully getting myself heads-up against the relatively short stack.

Thanks for the feedback all!
  • I would fold.

Neighboring hand theory: I think that QQ would be a close decision point here. Tens are an easy fold.

The key is that you're at the 25-50 blind level, so there is no reason to think that the two (unknown) players ahead of you are making some kind of steal, re-steal combination. There simply isn't a pot for them to be worth making a move at for an enormous amount of their own chips.

Say, any dead money at all in these $215's? ;)

An interesting side question is what if, instead of the players being relatively unknown, you actually knew how these players played? That is, suppose you knew that gamblemoore had 44 in his possible range of re-raising hands in that spot, and that tutoy is apparently a "must see the flop at all costs" player?

ScottyZ
  • Good fold I think
  • I would fold - and that is really saying something.
  • teach wrote:
    I would fold - and that is really saying something.

Aren't four horsemen supposed to ride by at this point or something like that?

;)

ScottyZ
  • Heheh.  teach is loaded! Nah that teach fellow has just enough zig in his game to throw you off.

Too late but I would have folded in that seat.
  • Good laydown. Jacks are usually my exit hand.
  • good fold
  • I think the only case you can make for calling is that you have both of your opponents covered and you'd be risking less than half your stack..... Even such, I'd probably not be looking to gamble with them..
  • The first raise doesn't bother me too much, smells like a big ace or a medium PP trying to take the pot down pf by pushing player out. The 2nd bet is the one that I am more worried about. And I probably fold in that spot, and just run away from the table so I don't know if I was good. Oh well, nt gg sir!