Post flop bluff/contiuation bet

Typical tourney hand that I always seem to get jammed with early in the tourney, especially if I am an average or slightly average stack
Raise 3 times the big blind pre-flop with AK suited or unsuited, AQ suited or AJ suited if I am in late position
Get one or two callers
Flop misses me but contains one face card I do not have - e.g. I have AQ and it is xxK
If I am first to act, I make a standard continuation bet - typically 1/2 the pot
I find many times, I get rid of one player and get smooth called by another
Turn X - again if I am first to act I will lead out with a sizeable bet - again many times I get smooth called
If I get re-raised typically I will let go of the hand, or if I have a strong read on the player, and feel he is just trying to semi-bluff I may come back over the top - but I will usually release the hand if I have nothing, and he puts me all in or he can cripple me - and typically when I have called, I am beat
If I am second to act, I will typically bet if it is checked to me, re-raise if someone bets out.

However, I would say that I end up losing this way more often that I win - say 20% to 80%

Is this a leak? Am I playing it weak - tight, is it just poker and happens to everyone? Should I be giving up on the bluff on the turn? Should I try checking on the turn and then re-raising?
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Scots

Comments

• You may want to go over many past hands to see what your own personal pattern is. (i.e. are you always betting strong when a flop misses you, but usually slow-play big hands)

Look at what you do in this situation, perhaps someone has a read on you. Don't always assume that you need to do a post-flop bet (since you were the original raiser). Vary the play so that you're checking when you miss and hit and betting out when you miss and hit.

Adjusting what you're doing based on what you think your opponents are expecting you to do, is another good weapon here.
  • IMO - The continuation bet is bluff that needs to be continued with a strong bet if you need your oponents to leave. I would tend to bet 3/4 to pot size on the flop and check the turn. This is a good move in every case as even if you hit the card you are looking for, you give your opponets a chance to bet and loose. Keep in mind by giving the free card they may catch up.

If you bet pot size, (hopefully with position) the other player/s will need better than 2-1 odds to call. If you bet only half pot you will get callers on draws. This goes back to one of my goals make people pay for their draws.

Rob.
  • Generally, if I make a continuation bet on the flop and get called, I am done with the hand.

However, there is a rare breed of players who KNOWS this and will call to see what you will do on the turn. These guys are hard to play against (translation: FOX). Against these types you will have to, sometimes, continue the betting on the turn. And, against these foxes, you must also sometimes check and fold the flop.

So, against the "usual suspects" bet once and quite. Against foxes, throw a LOT of chaff in that air.
  • This is a big time table image play. If they see you turn up good cards a time and two (hitting top pair, good kicker), and remember you betting out from the start, they will remember this, and think you have cards next time(s).

I have a hard time starting out at a table like this, will lose a bit betting out, though when it gets into a game where you're around a while, it works like a charm. Probably a big reason I lose for a bit at a table and then make it back and then try and profit from the table image.

Strength = weakness, weakness = strength. So if you're betting on the flop, they may have that thought in their head that you missed.
  • You may want to go over many past hands to see what your own personal pattern is.   (i.e. are you always betting strong when a flop misses you, but usually slow-play big hands)

Look at what you do in this situation, perhaps someone has a read on you.   Don't always assume that you need to do a post-flop bet (since you were the original raiser).    Vary the play so that you're checking when you miss and hit and betting out when you miss and hit.

Adjusting what you're doing based on what you think your opponents are expecting you to do, is another  good weapon here.

....I couldn't have said it better myself. Its fun to play with their heads!
  • Thanks for the advice
    I have just finished Harrington on Hold Em Volume 1 and have started Volume 2 (sidebar - great books - I have decided I will not lend them or mention them to the guys I play in my regular home game with, they are that good) and it talks a lot about continuation bets
    Reading it I agree with your assessment - I think I become to typical with my continuation bets, and anyone who pays close attention to me, will pick up on it

Going to try to vary now - bets that are half the pot, pot sized and even checking when I have hit the flop to mix it up a bit
    Thanks
    Scots
  • I think varying your play is the key. If you always play the same guys, don't bet the same situation the same way every time. Anyone paying attention will figure it out. Online may not be as crucial to do this.
  • I think varying your play is the key.
    So, against the "usual suspects" bet once and quite. Against foxes, throw a LOT of chaff in that air.

Bingo.......change it up a bit. Check raise them (if they tend to auto-bet) on the flop or turn, you might be suprised.