Protection of Top pair, over pair into str and flush draws?

Recently I have taken a horrible run of bad luck, and I am wondering if I have to change the way I am playing... feedback needed.

This is lower limit (1-2nl) or <$100 Sit'nGoes...

4x BB in Mid position with AK, AQ, QQ, JJ etc ...lets assume this hand is AKo

typical 3-4 callers,

Flop comes A89 with two of one suit

First checks, action to you -

Here is my dilemna;

Checking gives the flush or Str draw a free card, I would not be surprised to see JTo or Kxs, Qxs, or I get raised by the same hands out of position.

Half pot bet -I get raised by above or Ax (or AA, KK AQ) so I lose defintion, and for sure will get called

Pot bet - I get (wrongly) called by str or flush draw, sometimes raised either by a complete donkey or a hand that has me in trouble

2X pot - very rarely gets called by the morons, but does get called with a hand way ahead ie 67suited, a set. Or even gets raised.

I have lately been going with the potsize bet, and had to fold ALOT of hands when the flush or str hits. Or losing more when I don't believe it and call to be shown down with a better hand.

Solutions I have thought of, going higher preflop. But either I dont get action or get called by a hand that beats me or is 50/50

Not playing these hands without better position, which I think is giving away opportunity (not saving BB's)

Be very prepared to drop these hands quicker into 4 way fields, play it alot more passively.

Other solutions?

Comments

• I prefer the 1/2 pot bet.

And, there are lots of players at this level that will NEVER lay down a str8 or flush draw. Against those monkeys, wait until the turn to lower the boom when your odds are better.
  • Dave and Poster;

Say you've got TPTK on the turn when the str8/or/flush hits? Action....? reads....?
  • I say the half pot bet is right. In my limited experience the true chasers will not fold to anything but an all in and even then they'll still chase. If they hit, it hurts but that's poker.
  • I prefer the 1/2 pot bet.

And, there are lots of players at this level that will NEVER lay down a str8 or flush draw. Against those monkeys, wait until the turn to lower the boom when your odds are better.

I was gonna say something like this. Give them the 3-to-1 pot odds, price them in and hope the cards go your way.