shortstacked in BB

so you're shortstacked in the BB

you've just made the money...barely

but only have a little over 18,000 left

blinds are 3000/6000

you get dealt [ K  :h: T  :s: ] ( about 12,000 left )

folded around to LP who goes all in for 21,000+

SB folds and is to you

decision time, what should i have done here?

i called and he flipped over A  :s: 9 :s:
and flop goes 243 turn 7 river 9
and it was all over  :'(

Comments

• I look at it this way.

So what if you have made the money. Do you still want to call off your chips. Worst case the all in has an A,x. You are still a dog. At best he has a pair, and with any luck he had a big pair, higher than your 10.

I say fold. You have time to wait. Some of the best tournamets finishes I have ever done have come from waiting. I was in the same senario last night. 6 players left, 6 make the money. 6th place was $250.00. I had a large raise and a all in from two exactly even stacks. I was in the BB with 66. I folded. People looked at me strange. The original raiser had AK, and the reraiser AA. 5th prize was $ 350.00.

To me it is best to be patient!

Rob.
  • Worst case the all in has an A,x. You are still a dog.

So? He's a dog. Big deal. How BIG of a dog is the question. He has to call 12k into a pot of 27k. (Assuming there's no antes) If there are antes as well I think this is an even easier call. He's getting 2.25:1 on his call. So what range of hands do you put the button raise on? Against A-x (x not a K or T) or a small pair, easy call. If you're dominated by something like KQ, AK, JJ, etc, you still almost have the odds to call. About the only truly disaster hands you can run into are AA or god forbid KK. The big consideration I think is if you think you stand a reasonable chance of moving up another payout level by passing on the hand. If you pass this one, you KNOW you're getting called on a steal attempt later since you don't have the chips to make a blind fold. I think against the range of hands a (typical) button raiser might have in this spot, I think you have to call.
  • I'm still learning this stuff, so take it for what it's worth. I would only call if I had a really good read (obviously :) ) or if the blinds would go up within the next 6 hands. If they wouldn't go up (meaning I had at least a SB + BB left), I would wait for a better hand. You have 20.36% chance of getting a starting hand with pair or an Ace, plus small chance at suited connectors), both of which I consider better hands, so odds are you will have a better starting hand soon. As Scooby says, you'll definately be called, however here the opponent is probably stronger - later they may call with weak cards since you're so short-stacked. Just my opinion.
  • Sorry, I skimmed rather quickly through your post.  As you said...
    I had a large raise and a all in from two exactly even stacks.

So I'd guess the fact that you would know by folding you'd move up one spot in the money here affected your decision?  From a strictly odds perspective in the original post I'd say call, but if for example you knew the next player to bust would bump you to the next payout and he was in the BB next hand, the question becomes a little greyer in terms of which is the best +EV move...  Call gives you the best chance to progress multiple payout levels, with the added risk of busting at the current level, whereas folding potentially gives you a better chance at reaching the next immediate payout level...
  • beanie42 wrote:
    I'm still learning this stuff, so take it for what it's worth.  I would only call if I had a really good read (obviously :) ) or if the blinds would go up within the next 6 hands.  If they wouldn't go up (meaning I had at least a SB + BB left), I would wait for a better hand. You have 20.36% chance of getting a starting hand with pair or an Ace, plus small chance at suited connectors), both of which I consider better hands, so odds are you will have a better starting hand soon.  As Scooby says, you'll definately be called, however here the opponent is probably stronger - later they may call with weak cards since you're so short-stacked.  Just my opinion.
    there's no antes
    i'm the only shortstack at the table and blinds is going up to 4000/8000 soon
    i'm SB next

i guess i should've called for Time :D
  • All things being equal, I call. I'm a dog. I hope to suck out. I still want a chance to win.

If I give him any ace, any pair, any two cards 10+ then I have about 42% pot equity. He has to have a pretty small raising range before I don't have a pot odds call on my hands. And, as a small stack you can't really pass up any positive EV plays.