First Episode of WPT this Sunday (Feb 1)

This seemed to be missing from the calendar.

The first episode of the WPT airs in Canada on Sunday (Feb 1) 4:00pm on CityTV

ScottyZ

Comments

• I assume these will be re-runs that have already be run on the US networks?
  • The Feb 1st episode may or may not be a re-run, but I believe the bulk of the episodes are the WPT Season 1. This season aired on the Travel Channel only in the US last year, so AFAIK, this if the first time it's in wide release (i.e. on one of the networks) in the US.

So it's sort of a re-run, but sort of new to the general population. :)

What matters to me is I haven't seen it yet, so I'll be watching it with wide eyes... :shock:

ScottyZ
  • No, I believe this is a new show just for the superbowl pregame slot. It's NBC's program and City TV is just simulcasting it. The players in the show are the winners of each of the WPT events that aired last year in hte US and on the travel network. The superbowl tourney will be new.
  • I'M PUMPED
  • Did you like that commercial with Chris Ferguson walking into to poker room Ultimate Fighting Championship style? 8)

Let's get it on!

ScottyZ
  • I was really surprised Juha's call of Hansons allin with A9...of course it worked out for him, but it still shocked me.

2 players knocked out in the first 3 hands..

and how 'bout poor Lederer with his AK vs Rose's 88. OUCH.
  • Yes, that certainly was a brave call, but it may have had a lot to do with the fact that they were both fairly short stacks.

I like the JT on the next hand less. It's one of those times where a short stack should simply move all-in if he plans on calling a pre-flop re-raise. I know some players like to have chips to "fire again" on the flop if called, but I still like moving all-in better if you feel you would be pot comitted after you raise. It's even debatable whether or not the JT should have called the re-raise. According to the on screen graphic he had committed 1/3 of his chips, so he is offered around 2-1 pot odds. It's not impossible to fold there, if you put your opponent on something better than a small pair or bare ace.
    and how 'bout poor Lederer with his AK vs Rose's 88. OUCH.

You mean the hand where all the chips go in pre-flop, and the slight pre-flop favorite holds up? Amazing! :shock:

Look, we are just like the two commentators were when they were talking about that particular hand. :)

It's too bad, I was really rooting for Lederer. What about that stone cold bluff with 63 he busted out on? I honestly think that Jose mucks it if there is no time clock, and he has more time to think.

Anyway, it was great to watch. Some things I liked in particular were:

1. Seeing *all* the players' hands in real time.

2. Seeing exact bet amounts in real time.

3. Phil Hellmuth was not in this tournament. :)

Things I didn't like:

1. Time clock, especially the dorky sound effect, and the fact that chip counts took about 45 seconds out of the 60 seconds available.

2. Cutting to commercial during a hand. Lame and cliche.

3. The fact that they let Ron Rose get away with a pretty obvious "all-in" hand motion.

4. At one point, one of the commentators refered to the chips as real money. I doubt that the prize pool was equal to the total chip count in this tournament, but even if this is so, we shouldn't be lead to think that they are even doing anything *close* to playing with real money there. I just point this out because there are probably lots of poker newbies out there watching this episode so I think it's very misleading for to the commentators to equate tournament chip bets with real money bets.

And one more thing... don't you think Rose's was giving off too many tells? It's hard to tell if these were simply tells, or reverse-reverse-tells, but anyway, it looked like amateur poker face hour. Even the commentators were making fun of him. :)

ScottyZ
  • And I think Gus Hansen should stick with his unshortened first name.

It would be *much* harder to call a big bet against a Gustav compared to a Gus. :)

ScottyZ
  • "You mean the hand where all the chips go in pre-flop, and the slight pre-flop favorite holds up? Amazing! "

Not so much that the favourite won...but moreso how much of a favourite the AK was after the flop and turn.
  • I enjoyed the poker aspects of the coverage but, like most US TV events, they really overdid the "hype" and the "cheese" ... was it really necessary to waste time with the big cash drop ... I would much rather have heard more strategy discussions with the players.
  • I'm surprised there's been no comments on Howard's bluff. That was really surprising to me. If you're gonna go all-in, don't you at least want some outs. He must of felt like he could read Jose like a book to feel comfortable with that play, either that or he was on tilt from that beat. He was short stacked but definetly not in dire straits.
  • What about that stone cold bluff with 63 he busted out on? I honestly think that Jose mucks it if there is no time clock, and he has more time to think.

You don't necessarily need outs to run a bluff.

(Don't take *every* line of Rounders to closely to heart...) :)

I think this was a pretty good bet in the sense that it almost worked; however the risk-reward levels might be questionable. The particular hand 63 is rarely dominated by hands which will call (except pocket pairs), so *very* loosely speaking, this hand has outs. :)

ScottyZ