% of bankroll - tourney

Dave, as a simple example, I'm thinking it's unwise to play in the monthly Stars 530 with a bankroll of 1000.  Generally I don't risk a large percentage of my bankroll for one tournament.

Can you suggest a guideline for what percentage of a bankroll one should risk for a freezeout tournament?
Is it 10% 5% or even 1% ?  I'm thinking no more than 5%.  If it's 1% will you spend a little more for say, a juicy overlay?

Comments

• To be blunt: I have no idea.

Here is what I do. I have a pretty good idea what my win rate looks like. And, I have a pretty good idea what my goals in the upcoming year are. So, I play "within me means." I do not risk going broke. I keep enough bankroll to churn money in the ring game. So, if my bread and butter game is $10-20 short handed, then I make sure that I keep $6000 in my core bankroll. Anything above that I will gamble with disregard. Also, however, want $10K USD for next year's WSOP so I am careful to ensure that anything over my core is still growing at about the rate of $1K per month.

And, of course, I frequently overplay me bankroll, like everyeone else.

To sum up: "I play poker for fun. There is no real life pressure on my bankroll. Therefore, I play what I want and when I want and I make sure that there is enough left in my BR thtat I can continue to play at the $10-20 level."
  • Yeah I said generally because I knew you'd raise the WSOP main event. :)

Yes your sum up is a good stress free way to view it.  Thanks again.
  • If you really want to play in the Sunday Tourney, why dont you try to win a seat via sattelite?
  • Good point.
    Irah wrote:
    If you really want to play in the Sunday Tourney, why dont you try to win a seat via sattelite?