Dave, Quick question on NL rebuy tournies...

I was going to enter a holdem toureny this week which features rebuys and add ons....when i play in these tournies I notice that many many people will rebuy and try to build their stacks early...I fro one dont like to do this and like to use just my original buy in. I also see pretty much every player add on at the very end of the addon rounds. Do you think its a good idea to bring extra money for an add on at the end of the add on round? Im just not sure on a clear cut stratedgy for these tournies. I for one, would like to win it, without rebuying or adding on....

sorry by the way, i guess it wasnt thaaat quick of a question

thanks for the input...Anton

Comments

• Adding on is CRITICAL.
    if you can build your stack without rebuying, that's nice, but expect everyone to be trying to suck out on you early.
  • Generally speaking, if you aren't budgeting for rebuys and add-on, you probably shouldn't enter the tourney. There's a pretty good chance you'll be at a huge disadvantage.

The rebuy periods are generally crazy (ok loose, gap theory does not apply) and most people will take the add-on. If you don't, you'll likely be severely under the average stack size. With the increasing blinds, chances are very good you will become short-stacked very quickly. Guys will tighten up a bit after the rebuy period and it'll be harder for you to pick up chips.

The theory is, you should do the add-on if the price of the chips is reasonable (i.e. cheaper than the original chip price) and you aren't either one of the top stacks or very short-stacked (in both cases, the extra chips won't help you much just add to your cost).
  • I view it this way...

When the add-on period is over, what will the average stack be? Generally, it will be slightly less than all players taking all re-buys and add-ons. So, for sake of argument, assume that the average after the re-buy period will be $1000.

I do not play unless I am willing to rebuy beyond that level. And, then I attempt to get to that level as cheaply as possible. So, I generally play VERY tight in the re-buy period. I hope to win my $1000 and get a tournament overlay becuase I am in for less than average. But, I will re-buy as required to ensure that I have an average stack once the re-buy period ends.