Can you lay it down?

$10+1 Multitable tournament, top 20 paid. 65 players remain. Blinds 50/100.

Early position raiser who just lost 90% of his stack on the previous hand goes all in for 300. I call in MP with A :h: 10 :h:
Big Blind calls, he has a stack of about 4K, my stack is at 3600. Both a bit above the average, hovering around the bubble spot.

Flop comes A A 6. Big blind goes all-in. Can I lay it down here?
What i know about BB: Not much, havent been at the table long but what I have seen has been regular solid play. I have to put him on an ace or some type of made hand. I'm thinking chop here.

Anyone lay this down? The reason I post this is because lately this situation has come up enough to make me think twice about auto calling. I hesitated and then called. He showed 66 for the boat and I didn't improve, happens. The EP all-in had AK for the record.

stp

Comments

• Could I? No.

But, looking back on the hand, if you were thinking "chop", then you are risking 3600 chips to split the
    short stacks 300, it doesn't seem like the best place to call off the rest of your chips.

Would I have called? Ya, but, i'm weak.
  • I probabbly call bcause the bet is so out of line. The BB push looks fishy to me I would say that he has a pocket pair of 77 or 88. But since your post says "can you lay it down" I assume you called and he had AJ or better.

Wader
  • Yes, I was actually thinking chop (at worst) but I agree with you ..risking all of my chips for 150 is not good poker.  I hate situations like this one, I very rarely put all of my chips in without the nuts, or close to.  Trouble is that there are soooo many online players that will make this move (all-in) with anything, hoping you dont have an ace.  I could very well see the same move be made with any pair and any King.  This particular opponent, perhaps not.  

stp
  • I would call so fast here my pants may very well come flying off. The opponent disguises his hand well by making the severe dry side pot overbet. As wader points out, there is a wide range of hands an unknown opponent could have here.

I would consider folding it pre-flop. You have a tricky hand that generally plays better as an implied odds hand, which means (by definition) that it may not be worth getting involved with the all-in player right here.

On the other hand (and almost the exact opposite of the previous comment), your opponent has suddenly dropped down into the Red Zone with an M-ratio of 21 and may be feeling either tilted or desparate to make a move. You certainly expect AT (suited or not) to be a reasonable holding against the all-in player's range of hands if you could get the all-in player heads up. I think that raising pre-flop would be superior to calling. It would easily be worth taking a shot at the all-in play from the BB, and perhaps even the SB (again, I'd raise rather than call) if no other players have enetered the pot. However, in MP I'd lean towards folding it.

ScottyZ

1Harrington's new book is just sick.
  • I call. No doubt in my mind. I wouldn't put the other player on 66. However, I would be worried about my kicker.

Tough loss but it happens.
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    your opponent has suddenly dropped down into the Red Zone with an M-ratio of 2...

say what?

can you explain what that means please? thanks
  • stpboy wrote:
    I very rarely put all of my chips in without the nuts, or close to.
    I guess what happens in cnpl sats stays in cnpl sats?
  • I hate saying the mistake was earlier in the hand than the question... But, I fold A-Ts pre-flop in this spot. I don't want to play it against an all-in raise.

Having said that, I call.
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    your opponent has suddenly dropped down into the Red Zone with an M-ratio of 2...

say what?

can you explain what that means please? thanks

My footnote was too subtle I guess. :)

M-ratio is defined (and discussed extensively) in Dan Harrington's new tournament book. An M-ratio is the ratio of a player's stack size to the size of the pre-flop pot before any action takes place (i.e. the blinds and antes). The "Red Zone" is also discussed in Harrington's book, other than being the area inside the opposition's 20 yard line. (Or the 23.34 metre line in the CFL.)

ScottyZ
  • I honestly have to say that i could lay it down.

An all in bet in early position is a great and well disguised bet!

Holding A 10 you have no idea where you stand. Is your kicker any good? Most people would call holding the A and that is what he is counting on!.

If I had AK I would have had to call, depending where I stood in the stack size. Low stacK = call. Medium to large = fold(and wonder what could have been).

Rob.
  • Lay it down? Absolutely, I don't think the original call was bad, the original all-in just lost a whack of chips and could easily have been on tilt and holding a lot of hands ATh could beat.....but post flop when the BB goes all-in I don't like your kicker. At that point you've got 300 invested in the pot and it just does not seem worthwhile to push the rest of your chips in.....particularly if you're already thinking you may chop....IMHO it's not a good call and for me it would be an easy lay down.....that said I likely would have never been in that position as I would have busted out much earlier!!!!
  • I'm still not sure about this hand. I guess the mistake I made in this hand is not raising to isolate the EP all-in. Due to the fact that the player had just lost a bunch of chips it did appear that he was chip dumping and I thought it was very reasonable that he held a random hand. If the Big Blind had a hand bigger then my AT, it would seem more likely that he would have re-raised preflop. I wasn't worried about my kicker. The big only had to call 200 more, which makes me think he could really have any two cards. I think his bet here is perfect for the circumstance, If I have an ace, I call. I had an ace and I called.

stp