Poker Books

Hey
Looking for some more free advice...
Going to invest in a few poker books, and I am not sure what to get.
I play NL - cash and tourneys.
Have heard positive reviews about Dan Harrington's book on no limit tourneys, and of course there's Super System 1 and 2.
I have skimmed and read a lot of free, online stuff and check RGP, 2+2 and pokerforum.ca everyday - so I am interested in something that really focuses on NL holdem
Cheers and thanks in advance for any replies.
Scots

Comments

• Welcome!

No matter what type of poker you play, you'll want to pick up The Theory of Poker by Sklansky. Keep in mind that there are a lot of advanced topics in this book, so some of the info in it won't apply to a lot of low limit games. But, as you move up in limits (or if you play in games with smart, tough opponents), it is definitely worth picking up.

As for tournaments, I have heard many good things about Harrington's book. You'll also want to pick up Tournament Poker for Advanced Players, also by Sklansky.

I don't know about Harrington's book, but the two by Sklansky that I mentioned don't cover specific odds, preflop hand categories, etc., so you might want to also pick up an intro book on hold 'em as well.

Hope this helps,

Derek
  • Please... no more book threads.. there's already like four hundred threads and every book has already been discussed..
  • In other words, try a search on this site for Harrington.

p.s. It is a terrific book.
  • I like the Sklansky suggestions.

I am a BIG fan of a book called "Poker Tournament Tactics for Winners" by D.R. Sherer. May no longer be in print.

For no-limit and big bet poker my favourite is by Ciaffone and Reuben.