possible flushes

i know descent suited connecters are usually worth playing or even raisning at times, but what if u get like 10 J hearts but the previous hand had 3 or 4 hearts on the board. Would seem to me the flush odds would be worse reducing your chances of hitting your hand. Would u put the same value on the hand as if no hearts hit the hand before?

Ron

Comments

• Hrm..

This has never occurred to me, as I guess I put too much trust in the fact that people shuffle to such an extent that the deck is sufficiently randomized...

I guess the best you can say for this is watch who's dealing, and if they half-ass it, be a bit more wary, but I doubt that you'd have to worry in a B&M, not to mention online, you ALWAYS hit flushes there... to someone's boat of course.

Mark
  • OnTilt98 wrote:
    i know descent suited connecters are usually worth playing or even raisning at times, but what if u get like 10 J hearts but the previous hand had 3 or 4 hearts on the board. Would seem to me the flush odds would be worse reducing your chances of hitting your hand. Would u put the same value on the hand as if no hearts hit the hand before?

Ron
    if 3/4 hands prior there were alot of hearts (including the J/10) I'd probably put more value in it.
    If no hearts had turned up, I'd also assume it could happen as the 'randomization' should equal out, meaning at least a few hearts appear.

Now I don't believe in this too much at the table, but there are those times where you get A/x sooooted and you just think "hey, I haven't seen (that suit) in a while" ... and call 4 bets cold ... lol just kidding
  • The odds don't ever change. That's just math. Streaks happen, but the odds are always the same (roughly 1 in 4 that a heart comes out lessened as you see hearts on the board).
  • Scotty, talk some sense into these people..
  • Assuming the cards are fairly and thoroughly shuffled, the cards which came out on the previous hand have no effect on the cards coming out on the next hand.

If the OP is talking about something like a live (i.e. B&M or home game) shuffle where the dealer is not shuffling the cards effectively and cards are "clumping" or something like that, there is still no reason to believe that the same cards will be less likely to come out in the next hand. In fact, depending on the nature of the shuffle, it could be true that the same cards are much more likely to come out again.

ScottyZ
  • By the same rationale, do you fold KK preflop if you've seen an A on the last 3 or 4 flops?
  • And if your aces 'always' get cracked, why not toss them pre-flop?

Sheesh...
  • C'mon guys, we're not all experts here. Like previous posters said, the cards previously flopped have no bearing upon the outcome of the next flop. I can see how sometimes this seems unbelievable but nevertheless it is true.

stp
  • Does the previous flop matter to the current hand?

(1) Unless you are shuffle tracking, the answer is "no." Without some extra knowledge, you have to assume that the cards are random. And, you should contune to believe that the cards are radnom until you have some truly compelling evidence to the contrary. Also, remember that the appearance of a pattern is probably meaningless. Take a handful of pebbles, shake them in your hands, and throw them on the sidewalk. You will note that this apparently random event will result in little clusters of pebbles. You handful will not be equalliy spaced. An outside obswerver might perceive a pattern, but you KNOW that it is random and you shoudl bet a lot of money with the "patter perceiver."

(2) SIf you are suffle tracking, the answer MIGHT be "yes." I have never tried it, but many have. Basically, you are keeping track of specific cards or groups of cards and you will KNOW if they will or will not come out somewhere in the deal. Google "shuffle tracking" and you will find lots of information. Mostly for blackjack, but easy to apply to a single deck, dealer dealt and shuffled poker game.