Dealt 10/10 - blinds 200 - 400 I have about 1600 in my stack
Button raises to 800
SB folds
I push all in
Button calls with A :d:Q :d:
Flop Q, A, 6
Turn Q
I am done
My question - did I overvalue my 10/10 - should I have just called or was going over the top the right play
Generally I am an extremely tight player, but I find when it gets shorthanded - especially if I am short stacked I get out of sync
Any advice?
Thanks scots

Comments

• That was an easy fold or go all-in choice. You can't just call for that amount.

The only reason I may hesitate to go all-in is my read on the other player. How often did he raise throughout the game pre-flop?

It wasn't a horrible play. You were down to 1200 once your blind was posted and your re-raise all in was only another $400 to him. He was calling anyway you looked at it. I would probably go bust here as well.
  • You had to figure you were a coin toss AT WORST. You got your money in as a favourite. Don't beat yourself up. You needed a chance to double up and you got it.
  • With 4x the big blind, what better hand are you going to get to play before the blinds eat away all your chips? Also, the button could have made this play with cards much worse than AQ so you really made the right play reraising all in. If he folds...good, if he calls you have a legitimate chance to double up and get back in the game. I'd even welcome a call before the flop knowing he had two overcards... you have to win some of these races to win, and this is especially true when you are the short stack.
  • You are going to play the TT in this spot and you are going to go broke on the hand. Almost for sure.

Should you move in pre-flop? No. Contrary to popular opinion. If you move in pre-flop that you will get called 100% for sure. And, you don't want to get called. So, call pre-flop and move in NOT MATTER WHAT COMES. If you are beat on the flop you will get called. If you are not, then your opponent MIGHT fold a hand that would beat you on the turn or river. (Stop and go or, as I call it "Hunting Foxes in the Dark").

You are too short and TT is to strong to lay down. Call and then fire. You *might* not fire on a flop of AQ if you have a VERY good read on your opponent. But, if you have THAT good a read then you should move in pre-flop when you are the favourite and take your chances.
  • Thanks - great advice everyone
    Still plugging away - having some success in SNG's - but can never seem to keep positive momentum when it comes to "building a bankroll"
    Mainly because I have a tendency to tilt - take a bad beat and then I just keep playing - even when I know I am making dumb plays - ah well still haven't had to redeposit, so I can call it education. Hoping to play more live games - live in TO, so a trip to the Blue Heron is forthcoming.
    Cheers
    Scots
  • Dave, your response has got me thinking a lot and I am wondering if you say more about when and in what situations you would use this stop and go play vs. just pushing in ? Once I'm down to 4x BB I have been pretty much using a push or fold strategy, so I'm wondering in what situations the stop and go would be a better option.

Also, are there situations when you are this shortstacked where you would call and fold depending on what came on the flop ?
  • If I am willing to play this hand for all my chips that the only time that I will not play it "stop-n-go" is where I want action. Essentially, AA and KK. And, even then you probably prefer to win a smaller amount with NO chance of going broke.

Will I ever call and then fold? Yes, if I am certain that the flop beats me. And, with some players one can be certain, sometimes. It will really be a matter of player classification and tells.
  • Thanks, Dave! I hope you don't mind some further questions...

So am I right in saying this strategy is something you would use if you have no chance of getting your opponent to fold preflop, but still have enough to possibly get him to fold after the flop if he misses? If the poster had 7-10x BB and thought he might be able to get the raiser to fold preflop by going over the top would you play it differently? How much do you need to have left after your preflop call to still be able to possibly cause your opponent to fold after the flop?

Also, how does your opponent's stack size affect how you play in this situation (if at all)?

BTW, I was the nerdy looking guy with glasses (not the actuarial guys... the other one) who introduced myself to you while you were watching the Limit event. Nice meeting you, and good luck in the main event!