Could I have played this better?

I don't know if I could have played this better, or if it's simply a bad beat.

Home tournament, 14 players, 2 tables. Everyone starts 30 chips, NL hold-em, starting blinds 1/2 (not the greatest structure with only 15 BB starting, but that's the game).

First hand of the tourney, I am the button. UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, one fold, player to my right calls. I pick up AA. I raised 4 to 6. Blinds fold, UTG and UTG+1 call, late position folds.

Flop: K :s: 10 :d:2 :d:

My initial reaction is WHOO HOO. Anyone with a king is mine. UTG checks, UTG+1 bets 8. I put him on a KQ to K9. I raise to 16. Out loud he puts me on AA, but re-raises all in, and I immediately call. He flips up K :d:7 :c: (actually I don't remember what suit the 7 was, I was pretty pumped about busting him out on the first hand. Turn and river are two diamonds, for a runner runner flush, and I am out.

Should I have bet more pre-flop to just take down the pot then and there? I thought I was pretty clever trapping, but could I have done better? Post flop, is there anything else I should have put UTG+1 on instead of a K (10's, 2's)?

Comments

• BAD BEAT POST ALERT - TURN AWAY NOW
  • Stacks are too small to get away from the hand even if he has a set of 10s or a set of 2s as the hand turned out you took a bad beat.
  • BBC Z wrote:
    BAD BEAT POST ALERT - TURN AWAY NOW

Hey c'mon, 1st hand on the button with AA and only 15BB to start?  I go broke my whole life. It's a good story.
  • A wise man once said to me...........

Swear. Go home. Kick cat.
  • The only thing I can't understand is with half your stack committed by calling his flop bet, how you DON'T just raise allin for the rest of your stack? Were you saving those last 8 chips for a rainy day or something? By then, even if the turn is a diamond you're committed to calling the rest of your chips anyways, so why not just push them in on the flop?
  • Without looking at other responses, yet...
    Home tournament, 14 players, 2 tables. Everyone starts 30 chips, NL hold-em, starting blinds 1/2 (not the greatest structure with only 15 BB starting, but that's the game).

First hand of the tourney, I am the button. UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, one fold, player to my right calls. I pick up AA. I raised 4 to 6. Blinds fold, UTG and UTG+1 call, late position folds.

In this spot I ask myself "How much do I have to raise to leave myself with only one opponent?" Whatever answer I arrive at, I bet that amount. Looking at the tournament structure, I am guessing that the overall level of play is (searching for a polite word) ... "influenced by television." You probably cannot raise too much, someone will call.

That having bee said, we continue.
    Flop: K 10 :d:2

Ding ding ding
    My initial reaction is WHOO HOO. Anyone with a king is mine. UTG checks, UTG+1 bets 8. I put him on a KQ to K9. I raise to 16. Out loud he puts me on AA, but re-raises all in, and I immediately call. He flips up K :d:7 (actually I don't remember what suit the 7 was, I was pretty pumped about busting him out on the first hand. Turn and river are two diamonds, for a runner runner flush, and I am out.

Your play on the flop is fine. You got it all in with (off the top of my head) a 3-1 edge (now checking pokerstove : 77% ... hey, this kid is good).

Now looking at other responses...

A agree that there is NO WAY that you are not going to go broke with A-A on this hand if you let that player with a K take off the flop. Stacks are much too small to be laying down top pair or A-A for the most part.