My reply to locked thread on shoes.

This is why the internet is a big pile of poop. First off hardly any of the people on this form actually know me as a person.

I am pretty flamboyant and I wear costumes in public that most of you would not even wear in your own basements. So.... my original question was in no way derogatory and if the people suggesting that knew me they certainly would not have made those posts.

I grew up in Toronto and worked in a couple of “mixed” nightclubs. Boa and Sonic. I worked for David Morales at sonic who owns one of best gay nightclubs in the world called Stereo in Montreal. When I say mixed, to people in the nightclub industry that means an amazing place where at least 50% of the guests are “gay” or “trans” or whatever the hell you want to call them...... I just call them people.

my first gay wedding was in 1992 and I have been to many since then.

Since i also don’t know many of you on a personal level I will just leave it at that.

And for the record my gay guy friends said those shoes were absolutely disgusting unless you are a 12 year old girl.

Thats all.

Comp...... feel free to delete my account if that helps the forum work better.

Comments

• This is why the internet is a big pile of poop. First off hardly any of the people on this form actually know me as a person.

I am pretty flamboyant and I wear costumes in public that most of you would not even wear in your own basements. So.... my original question was in no way derogatory and if the people suggesting that knew me they certainly would not have made those posts.

I grew up in Toronto and worked in a couple of “mixed” nightclubs. Boa and Sonic. I worked for David Morales at sonic who owns one of best gay nightclubs in the world called Stereo in Montreal. When I say mixed, to people in the nightclub industry that means an amazing place where at least 50% of the guests are “gay” or “trans” or whatever the hell you want to call them...... I just call them people.

my first gay wedding was in 1992 and I have been to many since then.

Since i also don’t know many of you on a personal level I will just leave it at that.

And for the record my gay guy friends said those shoes were absolutely disgusting unless you are a 12 year old girl.

Thats all.

Comp...... feel free to delete my account if that helps the forum work better.

People are people. Sexuality and race aren't what defines a person. I have friends who come from all walks of life.

I read the initial post in the other thread as simply asking what we thought of the shoes.... that simple.
  • Falloon wrote: »
    People are people. Sexuality and race aren't what defines a person. I have friends who come from all walks of life.

I read the initial post in the other thread as simply asking what we thought of the shoes.... that simple.

yup, Making this thread makes me feel as stupid as people that are called racist and then say....” I have lots of black friends “

by the way..... I also have lots of black friends.
  • Look Mike it had nothing to do with your post, it was after that that the sideways skew happened... I will leave it at that... Your post was funny and that's all.. I also have black friends and acquaintances.. Likely gay ones as well... There are even some women I like...
  • compuease wrote: »
    Look Mike it had nothing to do with your post, it was after that that the sideways skew happened... I will leave it at that... Your post was funny and that's all.. I also have black friends and acquaintances.. Likely gay ones as well... There are even some women I like...

I did not think for a second Pimp was being derogatory against people's sexual preferences/choices in any way. I apologize again if my comment came off as being offensive to anyone.
  • This feels like I started it..

For what it's worth Pimp - I think I met you once at Moose's, and had no problem with you at all! I personally said something about the "is it gay for a guy to wear this" bit because it's an outdated phrasing that does have homophobic underpinnings. I didn't think you yourself was homophobic (or at the least wouldn't likely be one to suddenly be dog-whistling about it here).

I personally believe that we as a society are evolving, and with the greater understanding of the power of words (that whole sticks and stones thing we learned as children was awful, awful advice), this is one of the more clearly outdated turns of phrase. I was watching an old episode of "All in the Family" the other day, and Archie referred to "the coloureds" (how the hell do you spell that?).... I think we'd all see this as an outdated phrasing that if used by that one eccentric uncle who for whatever reason feels he has a "right" to it since that's what he used in high school.

I work with youth, and they use terminology like that all the time "don't be gay" etc. etc. and I challenge them everytime on it. Forms a habit. I will call people out on it in public face to face too (have done in this very community), so please don't feel I was targeting you / am accusing you of anything.

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    ... and Archie referred to "the coloureds" (how the hell do you spell that?)....

Exactly like you spelled it... at least here in Canada.

Archie would probably call you gay for adding the "u" in the middle of it though ;-)
  • We all good then? At least I hops so. There are such a mixture of "era's" on here that there is bound to be some misunderstandings or misinterpretations at times.. I would hate to have to tell you some of the things I and my teenage friends used to say. Would have made Archie seem very conservative..

P.S. I was really scared to get up this morning to see where this had gone. thank you all for smoothing it out... I do remember the day though, circa some of our old long gone "friends", where this would have been the tamest discussion of the week.
    Those were exciting times but as owner I would be afraid to go back there. It was easier, but not too easy, as just a mod...
  • Nothing wrong with calling it as you see it, but this one wasn't callout worthy IMO, simply because "Is it gay" is actually a valid question.

For all we know, Mike was considering wearing them to show his support? Or to donate them to a gay dude? We dont know... but NO negative connotation was implied, it was just a question regarding the gayness level of those shoes.

For example: IS IT GAY if Mark touches my bum? Theres certainly nothing wrong with Mark touching my bum. In fact, I encourage it. But is it gay? Well that's up for intelligent discussion. This is what's at stake folks.
  • I am getting nervous...........
  • i posted a video from the 60,s, featuring Jackie Shane, a soul singer fom that era.....he was a flamboyant "crossdresser" ….pretty brave for him considering the times,,,,,,,,,,,I saw him perform in a club at Crang Plaza at Jane and Wilson....yes im old lol. and later I ask my dad why do some guys dress and put on makeup as if they were girls, ii don't really remember his answer but I guess it satisfied me..……..I posted the song because the word gay meant something else back then, plus its a great ballad...RIP Jackie
    I am getting nervous...........

My plan was to actually get 2 pairs so Comp and I could wear them on the next Vegas trip,
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    This feels like I started it..

For what it's worth Pimp - I think I met you once at Moose's, and had no problem with you at all! I personally said something about the "is it gay for a guy to wear this" bit because it's an outdated phrasing that does have homophobic underpinnings. I didn't think you yourself was homophobic (or at the least wouldn't likely be one to suddenly be dog-whistling about it here).

I personally believe that we as a society are evolving, and with the greater understanding of the power of words (that whole sticks and stones thing we learned as children was awful, awful advice), this is one of the more clearly outdated turns of phrase. I was watching an old episode of "All in the Family" the other day, and Archie referred to "the coloureds" (how the hell do you spell that?).... I think we'd all see this as an outdated phrasing that if used by that one eccentric uncle who for whatever reason feels he has a "right" to it since that's what he used in high school.

I work with youth, and they use terminology like that all the time "don't be gay" etc. etc. and I challenge them everytime on it. Forms a habit. I will call people out on it in public face to face too (have done in this very community), so please don't feel I was targeting you / am accusing you of anything.

Mark

Mark, just a question..... and not beating a dead horse here...

have you always lived in Kitchener ? Or have you ever lived in the downtown Toronto area ?

i only ask this because the words you are saying have homophobic underpinnings are actually quite commonly used and are never taken as derogatory. I have one very close female friend that insists on being called a “fag-hag” and has for over 24 years, and obviously she is a gay icon among our friends.
  • FYI....I liked the shoes. Kinda flashy.

Reminded me of my clubbing days in the early 90s.

I didnt see anything wrong with the comment made in Pimps post. People in society are too sensitive.

Next people will be offended if someone is called a name such as big al.
  • Mark, just a question..... and not beating a dead horse here...

have you always lived in Kitchener ? Or have you ever lived in the downtown Toronto area ?

i only ask this because the words you are saying have homophobic underpinnings are actually quite commonly used and are never taken as derogatory. I have one very close female friend that insists on being called a “fag-hag” and has for over 24 years, and obviously she is a gay icon among our friends.

Hey...

No, I have never lived in T.O., I've only been KW / Guelph / St. Catherine's. I don't want to futher beat any deceased equines here either, but I can't help but believe despite individual / community differences / anecdotals, it would be fair to say that at best the phrasing was a grey area....

Mark
  • My plan was to actually get 2 pairs so Comp and I could wear them on the next Vegas trip,

I will if you will..... lol, I am not sensitive like some on here..I think the word gay can have several connotations and does not have to be derogatory and certainly wasn't in this case...
    I will if you will..... lol, I am not sensitive like some on here..I think the word gay can have several connotations and does not have to be derogatory and certainly wasn't in this case...

What size do you wear ?
  • payperview wrote: »

Next people will be offended if someone is called a name such as big al.

Hey! Stop picking on me!

(As if! If I got offended every time someone called me "Big Al" [or even "Big Gay Al" back when the South Park Episode aired (Damn you Trey Stone and Matt Parker!!)] then I would not have many friends)
  • What size do you wear ?

9 3/4..
  • DataMn wrote: »
    then I would not have many friends)
    You have friends Al?:p
    You have friends Al?:p

One less than I thought I did, apparently.
  • My best friend's wife would snap those shoes up in a heartbeat.