Abit of mtt strategy

I haven't had good results recently so i decided to grind the boring part of poker, aka study. I thought of sharing some a long the way since we don't have many strategy posts on here anymore.

I had this spot that i thought would be be close if not standard in a $12 mtt on 888, final 2 tables and i am a top 3 stack.

Utg+2 jams for 13bbs and i'm in the big blind with 84bbs. We need 44% or better vs his range and i thought kj would be in it. I quickly checked what gto 13bbs jam is and it's about 14.6%. I take into account people generally are tighter than gto in early position. They don't jam K9ss and a couple more "speculative hands" so i remove them and check the percentages.

Would you call or fold? The example and answer will be in images below cheers.

Situation:
mtt 12-1.jpg

gto range:
mtt 12-2.png

General player pool range from experience:
mtt 12-3.png

result with kjo:

mtt 12-4.png

kjo is a losing call vs "my experience range" as well as gto range.

The cutoff call is Ato+ 55s+ and all broadway calls are losing.

Comments

• oh the result was that he had 55s and i lost that hand. good thing i did because we learnt something :)
  • Don't post results, it usually skews the conversation

Given the early position of villain, I would put his range a little tighter, small pocket pairs are at the bottom of that range. It's not worth 15% of our stack to, at best, flip with him.

We have a great chip stack to apply pressure to the mid stacks, no need to gamble in this spot.
  • GTO?

I know gtfo only.

Surprised your table was that deep stacked with 2 tables left.

What stats are in your hud?
  • name/hands/bb/vpip/pfr/3bet/foldto3bet
    flopcbet/flopfoldtocbet/turncbet/turnfoldtocbet/4bet

@dj the result is irrelevant, is it a correct call or fold given his range is the question.
  • sn1perb0y wrote: »
    @dj the result is irrelevant, is it a correct call or fold given his range is the question.

100% true sn1pe. however, knowing the outcome influences (lesser) minds.
  • trigs wrote: »
    100% true sn1pe. however, knowing the outcome influences (lesser) minds.

I guess making this comment means I should respond to OP:

Obvious GTO decision (imho): call.

$12 buy-in - is this guy pushing exact GTO (like you considered)...no, extremely unlikely.

84 bigs to his EP 13 bigs push with KJo...(online) I fold.
  • The only input I have is that your general player range based on experience seems too tight, you need something in there to account from spazz, bluffs and players who are closer to gto. It's not super accurate btw but the snapshove app that's a good enough estimation of most spots says we fold and call KQ off in this spot.

ALso it's possible that you might want to take out aces and kings at some frequency from villains range
  • LOL at me giving tournament advice.

I'll just point out the obvious things that jump out to me.

Playing GTO lets you play an non-exploitable game.

If you're playing against phil Ivey Clones then playing GTO is something to strive for.
    If you need to play GTO then it means you made a mistake in game selection..

You're correct in saying, "GTO is this, but most players deviate from GTO, This is how I will maximum exploit them."

Well done.

On Saturday I have an M of 4 (stack 8K Blinds 1000/500/500), folded to me on the button. I waste time looking at my cards and see 5c4c, I shove, Richard calls me with 44. Did I make a mistake shoving with 5 high?
  • Villain is in the LOJACK, not UTG2.
  • This does make a difference understanding Hijack and lowjack position.
  • Johnathan little does a good job of explaining most things in pokerz.

http://jonathanlittlepoker.com/using-aggression/