Tues. Sept. 18 Niagara Tourney

1. moose
2. seekthegrail
3. jacnok

Others?

Comments

• See y’all there.
  • Had fun today. Only 1 buy in and went from 7500 starting stack to 24,000 by level 2.

Today i wore a really goofy costume. Full Run DMC outfit including the big goofy glasses and Kangol hat and Adidas shirt.... I am pretty sure that this gave me my double up on the 4th or 5th hand with pocket aces. This goofy woman that I have seen at Seneca and Niagara called my 5x raise preflop and then 2 pot sized bets and a river shove then mucks so angrily. Got another almost 10k in chips when 2 hands after the aces hand I flopped the nut straight with QJ off and again got called down by a guy with second pair .

after that I just went card dead until I had 9 big blinds left and shipped it in with pocket tens got called by ace four off by the big stack and he hit his ace. I don’t think I would ever call off 20% of my stack with ace four, especially when the player hasn’t played a hand in 2.5 hours.

Was good seeing moose, jaknok, seekthegrail, blondfish and Alex . I think they were all still in with about 70 players left and today there were 225ish entries. 1st place was $7700.
  • Jacnok seekthegrail and I are all still alive and ITM.

Ez game. ;)
  • moose wrote: »
    Jacnok seekthegrail and I are all still alive and ITM.

Ez game. ;)

Go go go .....

goodluck guys.
  • Jacnok and I both lost with sets and were knocked out by 4 flushes. GROSS!

Still we collectively took down over $1000 today.
  • moose wrote: »
    Jacnok and I both lost with sets and were knocked out by 4 flushes. GROSS!

Still we collectively took down over $1000 today.

So what actually happened with you guys? Would love to hear all you opinions on the level of play throughout.
  • I thought the play was solid but not spectacular. I didn't see any super tough players. Higher level than most tourneys in that there weren't a lot of tourney only players who weren't very good and went home after busting. There were many rebuys and many of the players immediately went into the cash games after busting. I compare this to your typical tournies at Brantford and Caesars Windsor where the tourney players never fill up the cash tables afterward.

There were I think 14 tables but 222 entries so that gives you an idea of how many bullets people were firing. You only start with 75 bigs so that aspect I guess lowered the play a bit because after the first level anyone who rebought was immediately short stacking themselves.

I lost 1/4 of my stack 3 hands in and spent most of the tourney hovering around 20-30 bigs. I'm proud of our cpf crew because at 2nd break all 3 of us had less than 20 bigs and we fought those stacks for 2 hours through the money bubble that broke about 3 min before the dinner break.

I got super lucky in the 2nd level, I was down to 1475 and got qjss. There were 3 limpers already (was super rare at our table for anyone to limp). Normally I would just shove at that point but I thought maybe I could sneak this one through and see a flop. I was in the cutoff, button calls, sb raises to 1100, everyone calls, so I shove and everyone calls including the button. So 6 handed and I flop a q, someone bluffs 5500 with A10, everyone folds and I turn a q and I get back over starting with just over 10k. But this hand was so atypical of how our table was playing.

Then I didn't get much for a long time and I finally told the dealer (was in seat 9) that I wanted to shove 3x this orbit. I get dealt KJ 2x in a row shove both and get through. Nothing for several hands and then AA utg. I raise and get called two ways. K high flop, I bet out and get shoved on by a fairly wild player with kq and double through getting me to 20k just before the 2nd break. Thanked the dealer for helping me achieve my goal of shoving 3x. :)

Carried that through most of the next 2 hours until I got down to under 10 bigs and I got kk and doubled through and held that stack until the money broke.

So being shortstacked most of the day I didn't have a lot of tough decisions.

Starting stack

Rungood subway at the dinner break

Stack after dinner break when they redrew the final 3 tables and ITM552d1f76c0074a7b4685169a501aee0d.jpg53af72bcf85c42dc7422d26113314d38.jpga0ed668579d37c4943ceadc306a685b1.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
  • Overall I was happy with the tournament structure and pace of the blinds. The dealers were very good and I did not see one dealer error!

Also the floor staff kept everything moving quickly with reseating / balancing all the way thru.

The payout structure was reasonable with tiered pay jumps every 3 places once we got to 24 players. Here is how the 3 of us did and some of the approximate payouts for 222 players for a $165 buy-in.

1st $7765
    9th $900
    12-15th $561
    16th - 18th $485 (Moose got 16th and me 18th)
    19th - 21st $390
    22nd -24th $299
    24th - 28th $240 (Jacnok got 26th?)

Overall a very good tournament and you have to like the $15 rake structure! I agree the play was solid but not super tough.

It was great to see Mike (nice outfit!) and Blondfish briefly enough to wave. I expect to give this one another whirl likely in a few weeks. Cheers, Steve
  • Nice TR guys... Is this really Niagara? I find it real hard to believe this is not a mirage...
  • I have to give them props for running a good tournament. They do have some goofy rules but overall they are really trying hard with all of the positives that seekthegrail mentioned.

I will I’ll be going back next Tuesday with my new hat. Just have to figure out what kind of costume to wear with it..... maybe a black bart cowboy outfit or something like that.
  • Overall I was happy with the tournament structure and pace of the blinds. The dealers were very good and I did not see one dealer error!

Also the floor staff kept everything moving quickly with reseating / balancing all the way thru.

The payout structure was reasonable with tiered pay jumps every 3 places once we got to 24 players. Here is how the 3 of us did and some of the approximate payouts for 222 players for a $165 buy-in.

1st $7765
    9th $900
    12-15th $561
    16th - 18th $485 (Moose got 16th and me 18th)
    19th - 21st $390
    22nd -24th $299
    24th - 28th $240 (Jacnok got 26th?)

Overall a very good tournament and you have to like the $15 rake structure! I agree the play was solid but not super tough.

It was great to see Mike (nice outfit!) and Blondfish briefly enough to wave. I expect to give this one another whirl likely in a few weeks. Cheers, Steve

The math doesn't add up. Someone made off with a pile of money.
  • Mojo1312 wrote: »
    The math doesn't add up. Someone made off with a pile of money.

Umm, he didn't list the prize money between 2nd and 8th, I think you missed that. :)
  • compuease wrote: »
    Umm, he didn't list the prize money between 2nd and 8th, I think you missed that. :)

That does explain it. Should have gone straight to bed last night when I got back from playing poker.
  • I have to give them props for running a good tournament. They do have some goofy rules

what kind of rules? just curious :D
  • Monoxide wrote: »
    what kind of rules? just curious :D

The one one bad one was from 2 weeks ago where they declared that a mucked face down hand could be retrieved from the muck and they awarded the pot to the person who mucked face down. He folded a king high and when the other player showed his hand after the first player mucked he reached in and flipped over his king high hand. Floor made a bad decision in my opinion.

other one is they have been what I would consider over enforcing the no talking during a hand rule. The second you say anything even in a heads up situation the dealer jumps in and says no talking during a hand. This just makes the day a little boring. I agree that nobody should pull the William kassoof aka the thief move and babble on like a jackass but a little bit of banter heads up should not be punished.

both are just my opinion.

And....... overall they are doing a very good job. I think in new year they could add 2 more tournaments in per week. Do a $100 one for the beginners and maybe throw in a $350 also starting at noon...... it will bring in some people to play on weekdays when the place is typically empty.
  • I'd like to see a 6 or 7pm tournament for those of us that work 9-5.
  • The one one bad one was from 2 weeks ago where they declared that a mucked face down hand could be retrieved from the muck and they awarded the pot to the person who mucked face down. He folded a king high and when the other player showed his hand after the first player mucked he reached in and flipped over his king high hand. Floor made a bad decision in my opinion.

other one is they have been what I would consider over enforcing the no talking during a hand rule. The second you say anything even in a heads up situation the dealer jumps in and says no talking during a hand. This just makes the day a little boring. I agree that nobody should pull the William kassoof aka the thief move and babble on like a jackass but a little bit of banter heads up should not be punished.

both are just my opinion.

And....... overall they are doing a very good job. I think in new year they could add 2 more tournaments in per week. Do a $100 one for the beginners and maybe throw in a $350 also starting at noon...... it will bring in some people to play on weekdays when the place is typically empty.

wow those are both pretty bad.... especially the mucking one. would lead to angleshoot city. the talking one i get, but headsup you should be allowed to talk. im sure ill get used to it. its the same for cash games? no talking in either?