Partypoker Caribbean poker festival...

https://www.pokernews.com/live-reporting/#go-2017-caribbean-poker-party-festival

lets send some run good to Westside8. Go WES Go !

You are due for a big score in a big tournament..... sending all my positive energy your way.

Comments

• Thanks bud - you should make a last minute trip down ;)
  • I would've love to play this one, you have 100% of my support now :D

Think there'll be an overlay?
  • I think it's very possible. Their $1K, 1 Mil guaranteed missed by 200K, and I can't imagine too many qualifiers firing more than 1 bullet in the 5K. I mean obv there were pros that won their seat, but last I checked there were about 400~ qualifiers, and let say we have another 200 that came down as direct buy in. That's 600 players, and you'll need about 400 re-entries to meet the guarantee.
  • Going to give a trip report, the actual poker part only lasted about 2 hours, so will have a couple of hands.

Edit: I started it meaning for this to be a brief report, but it ended up to be pretty damn long

Package was supposed to be Sunday to Sunday, but had something committed on the Monday already, so didn't fly down til Tuesday. Was originally planning to jump into the 1C flight, which was the Tuesday noon flight, but was feeling very tired and knew I wouldn't be able to concentrate, so I decided to skip and see what the turnout will be like for 1D. 1D is the turbo flight scheduled for Tuesday evening, and I wandered over shortly after dinner to see 2 tables with a couple of tough spots at each table, so at that point I decided to just get rested and buy in at the start of day 2, still getting 50BB and hoping for a better draw. 1D only ended up getting 20 players with several tough players in the mix, so I feel like I made the right decision

Signed up for day 2, and was none to happy to find out that due to space restrictions, they're making tables 10 handed to start with plans to consolidate to 9 once registration closes. While understandable since there were only 60 tables set up, I feel like it doesn't take a genius TD to figure out that they would need more tables given the guarantee (translating into number of players) along with structure and late reg policy. None the less, got to my table, and was stuck in seat 10 as that was the seat they were filling for most day 2 direct entries, and I was on the direct left of Stephen Chidwick, and also had some recognizable names (but no one I consider top notch) at the table like Fabrice Soulier, Antoine Saout and Benjamin Pollack. The only one that worries me was Chidwick, but he was on my immediate right which helps alot.

1st hand of note.
    10k/20k/20k button ante - effective stack (which is mine is 950K)
    UTG raises to 45K, 2 callers to me in the BB with 64o and calls
    Flop 655 rainbow, UTG bets 85K, folds to me and I call.
    Turn 8, check/check
    River 5 check/bet 125K/fold

This hand here I thought about calling for about 30 seconds, but unless my flop call range consists of alot of random broadway hands where I'm floating, it's more than likely he's not going to fire with just A-high here very often. Plus my range has so much of 5x or 8x that he probably would expect to get called quite often by betting

2nd hand of note
    12k/24k/24k button ante (effective stack 800k - which is my stack)
    Folds to seat 8 who hasn't been very active raises to 51k (or 52) from the LJ, Chidwick 3 bets to 175K from the HJ, and I look down at AQo. Thought about 4 bet jamming here, but ultimately didn't.
    I think it's close but jamming is probably the right play, and others that I've talked to seems to agree

3rd hand of note
    12k/24k/24k button ante (effective stack, around 800K - which is my stack)
    MP opens to 50K, called by CO, and I 3 bet to 210K from the SB, both players call
    Flop Kxx (low cards, I think either 65 or 64), I lead for 255K, and both players call
    Turn A, check, initial jam for about 800K, CO and I both fold

4th hand of note (bust out hand)
    12K/24K/24K button ante (effective stack 450K - which is my stack)
    UTG+1 opens to 50K, Chidwick calls from SB, I call from BB with 44.
    -quick note about UTG+1, about 4 hands ago, on a board of AQT57, he calls a river bet of about 400K , and when his oppenent flips over KJ, he looked at it, flipped over Q9 thinking he won, and when the pot was being pushed the otherway, he was shocked dealer had to show him the right, for whatever that's worth. This hand didn't come into my decision making process here, but none the less, just a side hand of note
    Flop T42dd, check to the original raiser, he bets 80K, Chidwick raises to 210K, I jam for 400K, original raiser isolates for 1.5m, Chidwick folds. UTG+1 has A8dd.
    Turn 6d
    River does not pair
    I feel like I probably win this pot had I jammed pre, whether I get my stack to 600K or a full double, I'm not sure. I feel like if the original raiser came from MP or later, I would've put it in pre, but because it came from UTG+1, I wanted to take a flop and realize my equity if a 4 does come. If I had 77+ this obviously goes in pre.

The rest of the trip
    We were in "The Level", which is supposedly the higher end of the resort which is supposed to get better services and what not. But after having been at 4 other AI resorts previously, I think for personal enjoyment, I much prefer the more boutique, or smaller resorts where there isn't 10 pools and 15 restaurants, different class of amenities where only certain guests with certain wristbansd can access, and a place where it takes 30 minutes to walk from end to end. I'm also not a fan of the whole separating people and limiting uses of certain amenities at a resort. That's just me obviously and this trend obviously works because alot of people pay for it.
    I also had some issues with the staff there, and the general communication between departments. On more than one occasion, my request to housekeeping/room service was either not fulfilled or ignored altogether. I did not have the same issues at any of my previous trips to AI resorts.
    There were a handful of staff that were simply amazing, going way above and beyond their call of duty, and I compensated them monetarily as realistically that's the best/only way to do so. But the number of staff that either didn't care for their guests, or chose not to care, outnumbered the number of staff that did.
    Given the quoted price of roughly $350~ CAD (average price I found online when I was researching about the resort), I would definitely NOT return to this resort on my own dime. The room was nothing to write home about, and the food was mediocre at best. The only saving grace to the resort was the beach and their pools were at/above expectation.

I did not partake in any of PP's side trips/excursions, so I can't comment on those, but I know they were a hit for the few individuals that were able to join. Poker players being complainers, there were obviously complaints about excursiosn being full and what not, but having these excursions is an added cost to PP that they don't need to add, but chose to anyways to add to the players experience, so have to give them credit for that.
    With that said, I can see huge opportunities for them given their plans for 2018. They're very aggressive with their guarantees, and do not have the same allergy to the word "overlay" as PokerStars, so I'll definitely still put in volume on there to try to win a seat to their 10 mil gtd in Barcelona, and most certainly the 10 mil gtd in Montreal. The biggest problem I found was that the schedule was not tailored to their target audience. With 400~ online qualifiers, it's unreasonable to expect too many of these qualifiers to be able to play another 5K tournament after they bust from the main. The resort itself lacked nightly entertainment options, and it provided an excellent opportunity for a $300/$500 nightly turbo. But this was not done and I know there were certainly many people that would've played it.
    Beyond that,
  • Great trip report.......... we need to meet up before Christmas so I can square up with you.
  • What did you have in Hand 3, can't seem to find your holdings.
    As for Hand 4, i like the flat more than jamming, i would jam if i was in sb.
    I wish they had more side events but i ended up grinding some cash games instead.
  • sn1perb0y wrote: »
    What did you have in Hand 3, can't seem to find your holdings.
    As for Hand 4, i like the flat more than jamming, i would jam if i was in sb.
    I wish they had more side events but i ended up grinding some cash games instead.

3rd handFeels like a king queen hand or maybe king Jack suited......

4th hand I think the original raiser is never folding once he see’s the flop. Seems like he has a ton of chips if isolated 3xish to 1.5million and that wasn’t all in ...... he has the nut flush draw back door wheel and one over card. It’s hard for him to put you on three of a kind , most likely he is thinking you have an over pair .... if you have aces he is 36% to win kings or less it jumps to a coin flip 46%.
  • 3rd hand was QQ

4th hand, yeah once flop gets there I had to hold, I meant had I jammed pre I think both guys are folding, or at least UTG+1 would've I believe.