Aces Up

Hey guys

Dont mind me too much, kinda just wanted to take my new signature out for a spin (lol)..

I had been trying to find out how to add a signature for the longest time and finally figured it out -- while also coming up with something fun to put under my posts that means a little something to me.

The lyrics are taken from the chorus of the song "Aces Up" by a punk-rock band from the 90s/2000s called MxPx. One of those bands that you loved when you were 11 and always kind of kept them in your mind and your heart as you got older.

They still stay relevant with songs like this as I continue to enjoy poker.:cool:"cheers:

I present you with a nice little acoustic version of the song for those interested. Actual version involves heavier electric guitars and a faster pace -- I prefer this version.

EDIT: Btw, other cool songs you guys know that reference poker? Lady Gaga doesn't count.

Comments

• i went to atlantic city right when that lady gaga song came out. it was playing EVERYWHERE! drove me nuts.
  • trigs wrote: »
    i went to atlantic city right when that lady gaga song came out. it was playing EVERYWHERE! drove me nuts.

:biggrin: Probably got referenced maybe one too many times at the poker table too. Lol
  • Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life

Btw trigs, given that this thread was about my new signature, I'd like to take this opportunity to commend your signature on its merits. I'm not super familiar with Terry Pratchett as an author (randomly did see one video series he authored I believe called "Choosing To Die" a few years back) but nevertheless I can very much appreciate the empowering sentiment of that snippet.
  • Heh thanks.
  • sard1010 wrote: »
    EDIT: Btw, other cool songs you guys know that reference poker? Lady Gaga doesn't count.
    I thought Kenny Rogers summed it up pretty well.

Also, I like to think that Painted Ladies by Ian Thomas (good ol' Canadian boy) is about losing all your money with a pair of Queens, but it's really not... ;)

Sorry, no references after 1979.
  • The Ante Up poker podcast used to use this entertaining song as their theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jSRop-YLfo
  • ^ Haha :biggrin:
  • Mxpx, lagwagon, orangevilles 5 knuckle chuckle, all sorts of pop punk 90s bands are still fun to throw on once in a while...

Another punk band OS101 had a song called 'sixes and sevens' - not sure if that was suited or not....