SOHE hand

Simultaneous Omaha and Hold'em or SOHE for short is a split pot game where players are fielding both a four card Omaha hand and a two card hold'em hand. It is typically played pot limit as it is in this thread. The hand begins with each player getting six cards which must be set into two separate hands - 4 cards for Omaha and 2 cards for holdem.

We are playing SOHE six handed. This is a long day of cards, starting before lunch and running well past midnight for a total of fourteen hours. This hand happens around eleven at night. The stacks are deep, running from 200bb to over 800bb deep.

Blinds are $0.25/$0.50.

Cast of characters:

Player A has a $400+ stack covering everyone. It is a little hard to assign styles to players with only a few dozen hands under their belt. Lets say this villain is semi loose, focused aggression, mostly fit/fold post flop (keeping in mind that a lot of flops are going to hit something, so when you miss the flop, you are toast.)

Hero is sitting on just below a $300 stack and is first to act. Hero is the loosest and most aggressive of the three, seeing pretty much every flop unless it's been 3bet. Still seeing some of those but only with more solid hands.

Player B is a self described "Nitty old man who wouldn't play unsuited aces except on the button." Hero hasn't seen Player B in many hand at all, classifies him as probably the tightest player at the table. He is one of the 2 players who are folding hands on unraised preflops. This player is at around $225.

Keep in mind that no one has any significant experience with this game.

The hand:

Hero looks down at :3c :8c :10d :9s :5d :3s . How should hero split his hand?

I'm sure there will be a lot of "you should fold" posts, but hero has been having a good time seeing lots of flops and running well for most of the day. Under less casual circumstances, this is an easy fold.

Comments

• have absolutely no experience with this game but this seemed like a fun question.

i'd go with Td9s8c5d for omaha and 33 for holdem.
  • I have played SOHE a fair bit and it is a popular choice at Moose's cash games. I like trig's splitting of the hand as it would be the default choice as most players tend to put the pair on the HoldEm side and you are keeping the connecting cards together.

If you want to go against the grain the only other split would be 3c3s8c9s and 5dTd so you have 3 flush draws and a pair but you lose the connecting cards. Plus often small flushes and bottom set can be dangerous in Omaha and can be 4 flushed in Hold Em.

Of course you could just play lazy SOHE like we did in Chicago where you get to split your hand after the river betting is done!
  • 33 was kept together for the HE side for the same reasons.

UTG folds. Hero limps. Player B limps. Player A makes it $3 to go. Both blinds fold, Hero calls. Player B calls.

Three way action with $10ish in the pot.

Flop: :jd :5c :9s

Hero is first to act, what does he do?
  • I dunno what Hero does, but I check.
  • Not knowing anything about your opponents (are they complete donkeys? drunk? etc.) I would also check.

Unless you hit miracle cards (ie. 7 then 3) you are likely playing for half of the pot.

Even if a 9 or a 5 comes off you could be in a dangerous position with the underfull in Omaha.
  • Nobody is drunk, though we've all been drinking all day. Neither player are donks, one is super tight the other is semi-loose and has been in several pots with Hero during the day.

Hero decides to take the aggressive approach and bets the pot, $10. Hero has been playing loose and aggro all day.

Nitty player B calls. Player A also calls.

Turn comes a :9h

Hero has turned the bottom boat and is first to act. What should Hero do?
  • I pot the flop too, you can't get a drier board for 2 pr in Omaha, check the turn and fold when the other two donkeys go pot repot.

If I was heads up to the turn then I check call all the way down hoping my Omaha is good and then laugh when I lose the Omaha but the 33 holds for half.

Mostly I never would play this hand because you have almost zero chance of the scoop.
  • Bleah. I don't like putting money in, to try to get half of it back. Our position sucks. Stacks are deep.

Looks awful.
  • First to act, Hero bets $40 with his bottom boat and no chance to win the Holdem side. With 3 players, Hero is hoping that the other two are fighting over the Holdem side and so we can chop the 3rd players' stack.

Player B flat calls.

Player A is last to act, min raises to $80.

Action on Hero, what should he do?

To recap, board is ::jd :5c :9s :9h

Hero is holding :3c :3s and :8c :10d :9s :5d

The flat call from Player B has Hero a bit concerned since he's the tightest player at the table.
  • The flat usually means half, maybe he caught a nine in holdem. I just fold with my weak Omaha hand. You don't want to get to the river and get stuck in a raising war.
  • At this point Hero has a bad feeling, a voice deep inside says fold. The call from the tight player is more scary than the raise. With pretty much zero chance to win the Holdem side, it's either surrender the hand or try to build the pot in hopes his Omaha hand is big enough to chop the 3rd player's stack. The only two hands that beat Hero's Omaha hand are J9 and JJ so hero feels (overly) confident.

Hero raises all in for just over $200 more. Player B calls, Player A also calls.

Player B shows JJ in the Holdem side for the current nuts. Junk for the Omaha side, 8 6 6 2.

Player A shows KK in the Holdem side and J 9 10 4.

Players A and B are bound for a chop, until a two outer comes on the river, a K for a total scoop for player A.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Hero obviously overvalued his hand, probably shouldn't have been in there in the first place. Reading the comments about the strength/weakness of the hand is something to keep in mind for future hands.
  • I think this hand illustrates why I don't put pairs in the holdem side. People overplay their big pairs and you can scoop big pots by putting flush or straight cards on holdem because the big pairs never expect it. Set over set happens a lot when everyone is putting their pairs in the holdem hand and sets don't carry near the value in SOHE that they do in regular holdem.
  • where is this game?
  • It was in Colorado. I was there for a few days and got in some fun poker circus games.