NLHE small stakes hand

This was a hand I played last week at a live game. It was a friendly game with a lot of new faces, actually all but 1 was a new face. Very social, we're all having a good time and not taking the game 100% serious, but still playing decent poker by everyone.

The game is NLHE, we've been playing for several hours on the cash table for players who have busted out of the tournament. $0.25/$0.50 Very friendly game with lots of banter and lots of flops. Most raises preflop are just pot builders. Stacks are not very deep, the table has pretty much had no rebuys. Hero is sitting at 350-400 BBs.

Player A is calling an average amount of hands, not a calling station by any means but hasn't done much, if any, raising. He has led out betting his fair share. His stack is about 250BB.

Player B is considered a solid player, involved in a below average amount of hands but not considered tight, he's sitting at roughly 100BB.

Hero is in the BB, looking down at 7s.gif7h.gif. 8 handed, mid position Player A calls. Folds around to Player B in the SB who raises to $3 or $4, I can't remember exactly which. This type of raise wasn't uncommon all night.

Hero calls, Player A calls.

Flop comes 2c.gif3c.gif7d.gif

Player B is first to act, bets $10. Player A doesn't notice that Hero is in the hand and calls the $10 out of turn. The call is rescinded and it's now up to Hero to act.

What does hero do?

Comments

• In these loose passive games, hero should raise to $25. Get as much in the pot as you can when you have the best of it. Besides, it looks like a pocket pair, higher than the board trying to protect again the flush and str8 draws. JJ+ will most likely 4-bet and you can get it in.
  • Looks like Player A wants to call.
    In a passive game can we count on Player B raising?

I'd raise to $35.
  • The out of position call is what's really concerning. The board is really dry with the exception of the flush draw. A4 or A5 is possible, 45 not really, and 56 is very unlikely to call. A X of clubs is the only real worry.

Is this board considered safe enough to try to extract more money by min-raising or even just calling? Or is that just asking for trouble if the club hits on the turn or river? If it does come, is there still a play or is a puke-fold?
  • What happened here
  • Player B most likely has an over pair. Anything from JJ to AA with that size raise, since you also said that a raise like that wasn't normal. I woul put JJ in the lower end of his range and AA in the higher end.

I am not worried about him betting $10, the issue is player A could be on a flush draw if indeed he was so quick to call out of turn or he could also have a small pocket pair like 88 or 99 or even A4 or A5

I would without a doubt raise to $35. You have to bet for value and also protect your hand, no point flat calling and allow two players in the pot to get a cheap turn card that could really put you in a bind. Let's say another club.
  • The out of position call is what's really concerning. The board is really dry with the exception of the flush draw. A4 or A5 is possible, 45 not really, and 56 is very unlikely to call. A X of clubs is the only real worry.

Is this board considered safe enough to try to extract more money by min-raising or even just calling? Or is that just asking for trouble if the club hits on the turn or river? If it does come, is there still a play or is a puke-fold?

If you were heads up with Player B I would say just flatting is fine, and then check raise the turn if a safe card come up. Since you have 2 people in the pot, you need to raise for both value and protect your hand.

So what happened:confused:
  • Turn was a 7 giving me quads. River was the 4 of clubs giving him the straight flush....

Ok not really. I raised to $30 which took down the pot. It was revealed that the player who acted out of turn just didn't notice I was in the hand and called with AQ no clubs and the player who bet the $10 had 6 7, also no clubs.

I was mostly wanting to figure out if this board was "safe" enough to try to extract more money from the other players. I think it's fair to say that it's not with the 2 players in the hand, especially with the extra info that someone was going to limp behind. If the board had two clubs that were higher, say both of them 10 or higher I think I have to pop it for sure. But with the two clubs being so low and the entire board being 7 high, I felt it was iffy whether or not it was safe enough to try to extract more value.

Bottom line, it's probably -EV to not raise in this spot.
  • Yeah I think it is a raise spot, can't expect someone to be cold calling with AQ there often enough to make it profitable. On the other hand, if you think that is very likely, go for it (depends on the game/players).
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    In these loose passive games, hero should raise to $25. Get as much in the pot as you can when you have the best of it. Besides, it looks like a pocket pair, higher than the board trying to protect again the flush and str8 draws. JJ+ will most likely 3-bet and you can get it in.

I agree with this if one villain has an overpair and the other a fd then it's the perfect time to put in a big raise. You will get called by both of them at least once.