Subban for Weber? Really...

Subban to Predators for Weber, whatcha think of that?

Comments

• When did Harold Ballard buy the Habs?
  • I heard but wasn't following, why exactly did they get rid of PK?
  • Garbage.
  • Short term win for Montreal, longer term, who knows...
  • compuease wrote: »
    Short term win for Montreal, longer term, who knows...

Why a short term win for Monteal? PK is 4 years younger, a Norris trophy winner, Montreal is saddled with a bad contract. There are a lot of people who believe Weber shouldn't be on team Canada and his game is in decline. PK gets a bad rap because he has personality.

Sort term Montreal loses this deal.

Long term Monteral loses this deal. It is not even close. They will still be playing Weber in 10 years.
  • Weber is better defensively than PK. word is the rest of the team could not stand him.
  • [QUOTE=
    Long term Monteral loses this deal. It is not even close. They will still be playing Weber in 10 years.[/QUOTE]

Nashville can only hope Montreal is still paying him 10 years. If he retires prior the cap recapture penalties to be paid by Nashville is through the roof.
  • Why a short term win for Monteal? PK is 4 years younger, a Norris trophy winner, Montreal is saddled with a bad contract. There are a lot of people who believe Weber shouldn't be on team Canada and his game is in decline. PK gets a bad rap because he has personality. We have no idea what was going on internally in the Canadians dressing room. I'm quite sure it was not all "personality". This past year Weber was a much better defenceman and it wasn't close.
    Sort term Montreal loses this deal.

Long term Monteral loses this deal. It is not even close. They will still be playing Weber in 10 years.
    As Woog says it may be Nashville who is taking the cap hit 7-10 years down the road. Until we know all the in's and outs we're merely speculating.
  • Norris trophy win was a PR move. Team Canada isn't saddled with such a burden, winning is more important which is why PK didn't get playing time. PK is a pond hockey player. Mobile, athletic for sure, but his defensive lapses and mental game are thumbs down. If anyone should've traded for these guys it should've been Edmonton with Taylor Hall though.

Also, from what I've heard Weber's contract was heavily front loaded.
  • Weber wont be a hab before the end of 17-18, for all the years I have lived they never pay out what someone is worth when PK got the contract I was actually floored and of course its dealt away, Weber will move on and they will end up ripped off for Weber which looking back really will be ripped off twice, if they don't score more than 2.1 a game this year and price doesn't have a GAA under 1.7 they will circle the drain again and things will become far worse than they are now even!
  • Still early but does anyone still doubt that Montreal ripped Nashville off?
  • Still early but does anyone still doubt that Montreal ripped Nashville off?

As you said . . . it's still early. We've seen this movie before from the Habs. Lets talk in March.
  • I find it kinda funny that...

Last year the big hockey story in Habsland was that they were on the cusp of breaking the club record for best start to a season - a record they ended up tying by going 9-1-0 in the first ten games - but this year, despite losing in OT early, their record for the first 10 games could go 9-0-1, if they beat Vancouver on Tuesday. This means, for the first ten games, they would earn 19 out of a possible 20 points... new best start to a season IMO.

Mark
  • Milo wrote: »
    As you said . . . it's still early. We've seen this movie before from the Habs. Lets talk in March.

Regardless of the play of the Habs, clearly Weber is showing he's a far more dominant player. You can't judge a player by the success of the team. Otherwise you would say something like Semenko was a great player for being part of the Champion Oiler teams. It's his play which should make people see that he's the far better player. A stud on defense that has a booming shot, while Subban was a defensive liability with a good shot (also more mobile but that was probably what got him out of position so much).
  • Nor can you judge a player after a short stretch of games. As I said, lets see how it plays out over the next couple months. If Weber keeps this standard up, then I think it fair to say that Montreal "won" the trade.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Nor can you judge a player after a short stretch of games. As I said, lets see how it plays out over the next couple months. If Weber keeps this standard up, then I think it fair to say that Montreal "won" the trade.

I'm not judging him by this short stretch of games though. I just think that most people weren't familiar with how good Weber is and maybe their only exposure to him was while watching Team Canada, where he did get overshadowed by the more flashy players on the team. Now that he's on a team that gets more airplay more people will see just how good he is. There's also the added bonus of getting rid of Subban, who was atrocious on defence.