An odd observation...

So...

Generally facebook will inform me of the weather, the scores of whatever sporting events are occurring that day, and the meals people are consuming within moments. Everyone knows this we all joke about it. However, last night / this morning... this happened:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/13/us/orlando-nightclub-shooting.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

and, it now being nearly 2p.m. - nothing on my facebook account. Which makes me wonder why.....

Best I can come up with are

1. It's LGBT related shooting, and this somehow lessens the importance for some people, because, well, people are jerks. I discount this one mostly because most of my friends are the more LGBT friendly crowd.

2. It's another mass shooting, and they hardly register anymore, we're losing our capacity to care about them. I want to discount this one, but damn, 50 people is a LOT of people.

Someone help me understand why this tragedy - one of the bigger ones - hasn't registered nearly as much as it should given recent history?

(Please, no dumbass comments)

Mark

Comments

• Moment of silence to start today's Jays game

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
  • Maybe it is a FB decision? Not on my trending feed, either. But Twitter is going bonkers as are the usual media suspects.

I will say this . . . one of the media types I follow on Twitter retweeted a comment from Seth McFarlane, the upshot of which was that politicians should be barred from claiming to be "shocked" by these senseless tragedies, because their (in)actions have virtually guaranteed that they will continue unabated in perpetuity.
  • It's because no gorilla or lion got killed.
  • LOL . . . no. Something HAS to be going on to keep "Orlando" off the trending list. Even Gordie Howe was up there within a few hours of dying.

Spoke to soon . . . Orlando shooting is #9
  • I hadn't considered the gag-order approach..

I just worry that this non-explosion of outpouring and/or some kind of memorial... I was worried (am still) that apathy could be a symptom of acceptance that this is part of our lives.... ugh... it's sad but I can't even keep track off all the mass shootings that have happened in the last like... 15 months.

Mark
  • Somewhere on my twitter feed was a post claiming that this was the 135th mass shooting in America this year, and the 5th this weekend. No data on how that was calculated (the generally accepted # is four deaths), but yeah. I think there will come a time where these things ARE met by a shrug. At least south of the 49th.

What really frosts my cookies are the Ezra Levant types who immediately jump on the Muslim angle, as if access to firearms had NO part in this tragedy. they conveniently ignore the white guy from Indiana that California cops busted with explosives, firearms, etc, who was on his way to a Pride event to cause mayhem and death. Pretty sure James Wesley Howell is NOT a Musiim.
  • You saying there was nothing on Facebook? There was a big to-do on Reddit about every thread about the shooting being deleted and censored. Quite the uproar. They finally allowed some threads about it later in the day.
  • I saw a post from my sister about praying for Orlando and I was like, what happened at Disney ? There was nothing else on my news feed about it at all. And reading that Reddit was deleting people's posts is scary.
  • Apparently radical Islam is now willing to embrace the gheys, if they kill infidels that is. Turns out the Orlando shooter was a self-loathing homosexual, if the latest updates are true.
  • The Last Ship premiere was postponed in respect of the Orlando shooting.
  • Much like Letterman after 9/11, Oliver always seems to hit the right notes.