Dear poker diary...

Reflections, thought, hands, results etc. Read if you're interested otherwise it's as much for me as for anyone else. Might not be the most positive read as I'll definitely talk openly about my worries and troubles and stuggles. First, lets get the heavy stuff off my chest

I'm studying the teacher programme at my local university now and things got a bit fucked up with economical support since two exams fell on the same day and time, I could only write one and I actually failed that one so right now I get no money since I need results to get that in Sweden. I get to retake the exams in 45 days. I've temporarily moved in with my parents since Im struggling with buying food.

Part of my energy will go to rewrite and improve my resume, it's quite empty since I lived as a poker pro for a couple of years, danced full time for a year and spent more than one year with a pretty heavy depression. Working is not something I've done a lot of, even though money has rarely been an issue.

Another chunk of my energy will go to working out, probably my largest focus. Goals there include drop another 6 lbs, keep doing 9 worksouts/week (2 contemporary jazz, one heavy stretch, 3 treadmill and finally 3 barbell focused workouts). I've going for 2000 calories/day with around 150grams of protein but no real fat/carb considerations

Then there's school, I'm confident I can pass my courses without much effort as long as I attend everything which is what my school focus is on at this moment. I've cut out playing league of legends completely in favour for...

poker finally makes it on my list here :D Currently I have 122$ on partypoker and a couple of stray 2$ tickets on stars. I would love to say that I got back into poker with a solid foundation and a stable mind but that doesn't seem to be the whole truth of the matter. I'm worried about losing my bankroll, I'm also worried about getting addicted, that's why I'm trying to keep an eye on the impact this experiment has on me, as well as my bff keeping an eye on the effect poker has on me. On the plus side, I can control my emotions quite well when I play. Finally for some poker goals:

- Improve game: currently a fuzzy concept, needs some serious clearifying
- Properly manage bankroll: Agressive bankroll management strategy from me atm, I'll play 5$ and 1$r omaha8 unless I fall below 75$, else mostly 1$ 0.5$r and the occasional 2$ or 1$r, details subject to change. goal to reach 300$ and comfortably play 5$ BI's
- Sharkscope?: I used to have a huge edge on my tournaments when I could opr everyone at my table, it made a huuuuge difference. Unfortunately sharkscope costs money so I'll have to consider this one
- Proper poker schedule: Days off, balance with life, start reasonable tournaments that alow for proper sleep schedule, stretch during breaks, don't watch cs:go/LoL while playing etc

Starting bankroll: 122$
Money withdrawn:525$
Extra money put in: 200$
Worst session: -85$
Best session: +180$
Won/lost since start: 404$
Current bankroll: 200$

Comments

• 13/4 session:

Starting bankroll: 122$

Pretty rough day, running sort of meh and probably not playing my best. Blew a total of 20 dollars on two 5$ omaha8 tournaments, they're still great value for me for sure but it's a bit of an easy to win hard to min cash thing here since people are super nitty towards the bubble

current bankroll unless I cash more: 92$

All in all I followed my general tactic and bankroll rules. Next session I'll probably go for less variance, as I can't take another hit like today and I don't want to stress myself out either
  • gl richard! stay determined and motivated!

the more detailed you are with your goals, the easier it is to succeed. also, try to consider short term and long term goals at the same time as only focusing on the long term can leave you feeling like you are not accomplishing anything at the moment.
  • Poker is a luxury Richard. Focus on what is important for you now.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
  • From someone who loves to spend FREE time on poker, IMHO, you have enough on your plate for now and maybe poker should be the lowest priority. I would use playing poker casually as a reward or stress reliever whenever you make progress toward your real goals for university, resume, health, and career (NOT poker pro). I experienced depression when I was an online grinder, and if poker contributed to your heavy depression, then it's another reason to say
    FU to serious poker. No need for goals, just have fun for the halibut.

Good luck.
    Richard~ wrote: »
    I'm studying the teacher programme at my local university now
    :
    I get to retake the exams in 45 days. I've temporarily moved in with my parents since Im struggling with buying food.

Part of my energy will go to rewrite and improve my resume, it's quite empty since I lived as a poker pro for a couple of years, danced full time for a year and spent more than one year with a pretty heavy depression.
    :
    Another chunk of my energy will go to working out, probably my largest focus.
  • I mean I do have a lot on my plate and my main focus is definitely fitness right now. However I do very much enjoy not being broke and I happen to be suprisingly good at poker. I don't think I've ever played poker as a means to reduce stress, it's always been very stressful even when it's fun I think.

We'll see what I do, as of right now I have between 2 and 3 sessions a week planned but I must stress the whole enjoy not being broke thing, finding a job has proven quite hard
  • It's great having a profitable HOBBY, but as I have warned my godson who wants to throw everything away and quit university for poker, :o it is a terrible job for the rest of your life.
    Richard~ wrote: »
    I must stress the whole enjoy not being broke thing, finding a job has proven quite hard
  • I don't really even want to go pro tho, that's in no way my goal, at least not at this moment
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    I must stress the whole enjoy not being broke thing, finding a job has proven quite hard

Whether the intention is to go pro or not, I'm not sure it is the answer to the problem of being broke. A $122 bankroll (now $94) is not going to be capable of generating any kind of meaningful income yet sounds like it is going to be a big time commitment. If money is tight I feel like any time spent playing $5 MTT's would be way better spent actively job seeking. Just my .02 - sending rungood your way either way!
  • Stay focused on school and working towards your career goals. Poker will always be there and can wait until you have completed school and find suitable employment. Fitness is a great stress reliever and will help you stay focused. Volunteer work is a good way to get experience, extend your network and make friends. You likely will not play your best poker if you have these other things on your plate (financial, finishing school, and finding employment). If you have to play poker, go find a garage game with some friends or a free poker league (like the RedHot league here in Ontario) and play for the sheer enjoyment of the game...

Good luck!!
  • A $122 bankroll (now $94) is not going to be capable of generating any kind of meaningful income yet sounds like it is going to be a big time commitment. If money is tight I feel like any time spent playing $5 MTT's would be way better spent actively job seeking.

I'm not saying it's a good solution, but there are two things here that made me take this route. I don't even really enjoy poker that much while I'm playing. First off if I could play 5 dollar mtts on a decent bankroll I do believe that could yield some nice cash even from the low volume I play. The second thing is that even if I found a job today I'd have trouble working any type of schedule I can't myself control since I have scool during the day and dance tuesday thursday. Possibly if I get lucky and find a pure weekend thing but even then I've already commited to a class between 1 and 2 on sundays, many employers consider this poor commitment making it harder for me to go further than an interview. My hope is definitely to work over the summer tho
  • Sunday session today, I managed to land a bit of a stake so I'll be moving up to 5$ tournaments. Bankroll on site right now still 92$ tho, lets see what damage we can do here
  • Feels nice to have some wiggle, room, bricked a lot of cards tho x.x

Gonna total about 65$ in BIs for the day, I'm in a bit of a hole right now but any of the big ones I'm sitting decently in can change that. In other news bubbling omaha8 tournaments over and over is annoying, people blind down to literally 1,5 BBs and survive me after some interesting runouts, one day I'll ship one of these ^^'

Edit: rough day, didn't cash a single tournament out of like 11 so -65$ for the day. Next session will be either wednesday, saturday or in a week depending on school
  • Wasn't really planning on playing today but turned out I had a ticket for som SnG hero freeroll so I fired that up plus a 5$ FO and a 5$ omaha8. Turns out I cashed in the freeroll and straight up shipped the omaha8 for 140$ so I won't have to reload just quite yet
  • Doing a real session today: Starting bankroll 147 dollars

Break update: 2 hours into session, chips flying, running very meh

Break update: 3 hours into session, running decently, no real notable hand, a player got 25 BB's 10.000 chips off off me in omaha after limpcalling 2k chips and calling flop with a low non nut gutshot with no pair and 4 undercards against my set and hitting turn with 3k behind

Break update: 4 hours into session, spewed off a bit getting checkraised on a k62 rainbow board vs 66, omaha is still doing ok, omaha8 got a stack, 5 dollar FO have a stack. Gonna fire one last omaha8 up soon

Break update: omaha was a bust, went from chipleader to ft bubble in like 15 small pots, 3 tournaments left, nothing close to any major money

Break update: Two omaha8 tournaments left, it's quite interesting playing the last few tables in these, it's literally a few big stacks trying to conquer each others 20-30 bb stacks and win the tournament while some dead money noobs blind out to literally 2 BB's for a mincash. Sometimes the people who think they know ICM understand it the least

Break update: Sitting heads up with a million chips in my last omaha8 tournament, looks like I'll be in the black for the day

I shipped the omaha8 for 153$ =)
    final bankroll: 282$

I'm starting to think getting staked was a bad idea x3 Next session will be friday, saturday or sunday depending on what I have time for
  • I freed up some time and will do a session today since I'm bored, todays goal is to not get emotionally invested in downswings.

starting bankroll: 282$

break update: played a 2 dollar SnG for a mission, I feel horrible taking the guys money heads up when he's blinding out from 15 BB's to 4 BB's with me shoving every button and he folding every button. Finally he beats me in two hands AK > 78s and QK > 22 to get me down to 3 bigs. For the grand finale I pick up j7s in the BB, the guy limps in, I shove 3 bbs and he snap calls me with KK. what a player

Break update: bit bored, playing 4 tables and watching the walking dead, in other news, after being out with the flu for a long time I squatted 90 kg today on my first real squat day back, looks like I didn't lose too much

Break update: not much going on, down a bunch of BI's for the day but trucking on, we'll see what happens

Break update: Playing 6 max omaha again, 2 tables left, I was sitting 2nd in chips or something. I kept raising the chipleader in position, poking the bear going please don't kill me please don't kill me. So far he hasn't, I am now chipleader

Break update: Sitting heads up in the omaha 190k chips to 190k chips. I want this hattrick, three 100+ people omaha tournament first places in 3 days, I want it I want it I want itIwantitIwantitIwantitIwantitIwantitIwantitIwantit

Bankroll after session: 422$
  • Keep up the good work.

The $3.30 PLO mtts on stars have good value for you. Just play premium rundowns and you should get deep.
  • thanks a lot for the tip, I'll look into the schedule
  • I did it :3

My hattrick, three 100+ man omaha tournaments in 3 days straight up fucking shipped :D

Finished 1/127 in the omaha 6max for 177 dollars
  • Looks like I'm doing a session today since my plans got cancelled and my body hurts, hopefully I won't regret it. Starting bankroll, 320 dollars (took 100$'s out for now), and splashing around a bit on stars, why is all stars omaha tourney 6 max and strange, I'm so confused
  • partypoker - $5.50+$0|1000/2000 NL - Holdem - 8 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: 11.95 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
    MP+1: 48.88 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
    CO: 30.5 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 66.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
    Hero (BTN): 19.4 BB
    SB: 26.78 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
    BB: 51.18 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
    UTG: 56.7 BB (VPIP: 75.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
    UTG+1: 29.35 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 1)

8 players post ante of 0.15 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.7 BB) Hero has :qc :ks
    UTG calls 1 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 19.25 BB and is all-in, fold, fold, UTG

Opinions on the 19ish BB button shove with QK vs a random limping UTG with 75/0 stats after 4 hands?
  • I'll never make omaha profitable if they keep soulreading me

PokerStars Hand #152612408896: Tournament #1547832201, $4.00+$0.40 USD Omaha Pot Limit - Level XXI (1500/3000) - 2016/04/29 17:49:53 CET [2016/04/29 11:49:53 ET]
    Table '1547832201 43' 6-max Seat #1 is the button
    Seat 1: IRichardI (48092 in chips)
    Seat 2: P0KERFACE88 (26806 in chips)
    Seat 3: becherovska (27413 in chips)
    Seat 4: junai_99 (42189 in chips)
    Seat 5: 2rowdy58 (56787 in chips)
    Seat 6: Andreyawin (109238 in chips)
    P0KERFACE88: posts small blind 1500
    becherovska: posts big blind 3000
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to IRichardI [Th 4c 7d 6h]
    junai_99: folds
    2rowdy58: folds
    Andreyawin: folds
    IRichardI: raises 4250 to 7250
    P0KERFACE88: folds
    becherovska: calls 4250
    *** FLOP *** [2d Td Qh]
    becherovska: checks
    IRichardI: bets 9250
    becherovska: calls 9250
    *** TURN *** [2d Td Qh] [9d]
    becherovska: checks
    IRichardI: bets 12000
    becherovska: folds
    Uncalled bet (12000) returned to IRichardI
    IRichardI collected 34500 from pot
    IRichardI: doesn't show hand
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 34500 | Rake 0
    Board [2d Td Qh 9d]
  • boooo, I thought I could get value from the top of his preflop range here

***** Hand History for Game 15228044622 *****
    NL Texas Hold'em $5.50 USD Buy-in Trny:124922633 Level:11 Blinds-Antes(1.000/2.000 -300) - Friday, April 29, 18:23:45 CEST 2016
    Table Featherweight. $1,500 Gtd (124922633) Table #12 (Real Money)
    Seat 7 is the button
    Total number of players : 9/9
    Seat 4: Duba1Man ( 29,143 )
    Seat 8: Fighting1 ( 79,044 )
    Seat 6: Mtuxen ( 182,134 )
    Seat 3: Sanek507 ( 20,692 )
    Seat 7: burundu4og ( 87,059 )
    Seat 5: llRichardll ( 185,426 )
    Seat 2: mavrogenis75 ( 49,800 )
    Seat 9: michadelik111 ( 52,900 )
    Seat 1: qhash88 ( 105,905 )
    Trny:124922633 Level:11
    Blinds-Antes(1.000/2.000 -300)
    qhash88 posts ante [300]
    mavrogenis75 posts ante [300]
    Sanek507 posts ante [300]
    Duba1Man posts ante [300]
    llRichardll posts ante [300]
    Mtuxen posts ante [300]
    burundu4og posts ante [300]
    Fighting1 posts ante [300]
    michadelik111 posts ante [300]
    Fighting1 posts small blind [1,000].
    michadelik111 posts big blind [2,000].
    ** Dealing down cards **
    Dealt to llRichardll [ :kh :10h ]
    qhash88 folds
    mavrogenis75 folds
    Sanek507 folds
    Duba1Man folds
    llRichardll raises [4,250]
    Mtuxen raises [10,500]
    burundu4og folds
    Fighting1 folds
    michadelik111 folds
    llRichardll calls [6,250]
    ** Dealing Flop ** [ :kc, :9h, :5s ]
    llRichardll checks
    Mtuxen bets [13,350]
    llRichardll calls [13,350]
    ** Dealing Turn ** [ :10c ]
    llRichardll checks
    Mtuxen bets [40,050]
    llRichardll is all-In [161,276]
    Mtuxen is all-In [117,934]
    ** Dealing River ** [ :3d ]
    Mtuxen shows [ :9d, :9c ]three of a kind, Nines.
    llRichardll shows [ :kh, :10h ]two pairs, Kings and Tens.
    llRichardll wins 3,292 chips from the side pot 1 with two pairs, Kings and Tens.
    Mtuxen wins 369,368 chips from the main pot with three of a kind, Nines.
  • bad news is my bankroll has been freefalling today. Good news is I just hit another 6 max omaha final table, 4 ships in 4 sessions maybe?

Finished 2nd in the omaha for 100 dollar breaking my streak =P

Break update: 2 tourneys left, 5$ FO sitting with 225k chips (7,5 x starting stack) and omaha8 5$ FO sitting with 25k (8x starting stack)
  • Another break update:

Pretty big turn of events right before the break, ITM in both tournaments. Last hand before the break I opened my 23 BB stack with QKo, got 3 bet from the SB and shoved running into AKo hitting my Q. Now sitting with 485k in the Hold em. (16x starting stack)

Last hand before break in the omaha8 I finally caught the fish I've been chasing and now I'm sitting 1/13 with 71k chips (20x starting stack)

Edit: busted the hold em missing a draw for a huge pot

Edit: Final tabling the omaha8 as chipleader, I guess my streak isn't dead quite yet after all
  • Happy to say my streak is unbroken, finished 1/119 in the omaha8 for 148 dollars on top of my 2nd place in the omaha 6 max earlier today making today my winningest session yet since starting this thread :D

Final bankroll: 511$

This is shaping up to be a Taker level streak
  • played a session today, pretty much fell flat on my face, gonna end it early, bankroll went from 511 to 456

Nvm, shoved my last stack in the omaha8 like 20 hands in a row and ran it up to 20k in doing so, might fire up one or two more in 10 minutes, we'll see, can't even bust properly but I'm in no way shape or form tilted
  • Didn't update anything today, not much to say, small omaha8 final table and finished like 40th in the big 3,3 on stars. One tournament left, sitting with 850k in the pokerfest event 4 and ready to fall asleep. Trying hard to stay awake, apparently playing this tournament without a fold button works fine. That's the first button I lose when I get tired
  • so I'm making benchmarks for what I'll burn money I win in the pokerfest on, if I win:

more than 50 dollars I'm getting sharkscope searches
    more than 200 dollars I'm getting a month of hot yoga
    more than 500 dollars I'm getting lifting shoes O__O

Sharkscope would help a lot, I looked up a guy and it completely gave me a different kind of respect for him

In other news the event has a 7k overlay and a super super super top heavy structure
  • This hand gave me a really uncomfortably high pulse, was going thump thump thump for a good minute extra

partypoker - $5.50+$0|15000/30000 NL - Holdem - 8 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 39.64 BB (VPIP: 16.18, PFR: 4.48, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 69)
    SB: 81.5 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)
    BB: 11.44 BB (VPIP: 11.90, PFR: 8.57, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 42)
    UTG: 91.72 BB (VPIP: 29.41, PFR: 21.54, 3Bet Preflop: 16.67, Hands: 69)
    UTG+1: 20.36 BB (VPIP: 17.86, PFR: 14.81, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 28)
    MP: 14.27 BB (VPIP: 9.62, PFR: 6.12, 3Bet Preflop: 3.85, Hands: 53)
    Hero (MP+1): 64.01 BB
    CO: 7.95 BB (VPIP: 10.14, PFR: 8.96, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 69)

8 players post ante of 0.17 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.83 BB) Hero has :4h :5d

fold, fold, fold,
    Hero
    raises to 2.08 BB
    fold, fold,
    SB
    calls 1.58 BB,
    BB calls 1.08 BB

Flop: (7.58 BB, 3 players) :4c :jc :5h
    SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets 3.75 BB, SB raises to 10 BB, fold, Hero raises to 20.37 BB, SB calls 10.37 BB

Turn: (48.32 BB, 2 players) :5c
    SB checks, Hero bets 20 BB, SB raises to 58.88 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 21.39 BB and is all-in

River: (131.1 BB, 2 players) :10d

Hero shows 4:heart: 5:diamond: (Full House, Fives full of Fours)
    (Pre 40%, Flop 58%, Turn 98%)
    SB shows :ac :3c (Flush, Ace High)
    (Pre 60%, Flop 42%, Turn 2%)
    SB wins 17.5 BB
    Hero wins 131.1 BB
  • still in. sitting with 3,8 million chips, been up to 6,5M and down to 2M