Pro v. Pro

I know I've got a thread going already, but today I've been sinking my teeth mentally into what it takes to be a winning poker player and I have some leads but I need some help. This is my latest wondering:

If you can be a professional poker player, ie. make a living playing cards. Not to say I have this ambition necessarily, but I wonder: If poker can really become a "business" as Chad Power -- who made a good run in the WSOP Main Event last year -- put it...

I understand in a vague and rough and somehow somewhat clear sense that poker pro's play for the "long haul," the long run, with solid math, checking pot odds and getting "the right price" etc..

Does this only work if you're playing against so-called "fish" for a living? Or at least weaker competition? This is where my "Pro v. Pro" thread title comes in. How can a pro profit from a pro? If they all know all the "tricks," isn't the only think left really reading ability and I guess table presence/confidence/swagger/intimidation?

What makes a REALLY good player REALLY good? Maybe I'm reaching too high at this point in my young poker "career," but I wouldn't mind at least a basic understanding of what makes a player able to make a living from poker.

As a side note, I understand and I'm not deeply interested in the idea of discussing bankroll and what that means to a legit poker player. If it's even part of the answer to my inquiry, I do understand that you need a bankroll that can withstand swings and whatnot (is it called variance?).

Any discussion is (as usual) appreciated!!! I hope my "pondering" is clear and that you have some thoughts for me. Even if you're a newer player like me feel free to chime in with any thoughts or even more relevant questions! I feel like I have the potential to become a much better poker player very quickly with the way I feel I'm grasping and feeling the game of late. Not that I'm in a rush, I just thought I'd take advantage of an opportunity to get better and this forum is a great avenue for that. :)

Comments

• I think the difference in skill between "pros" in immense. You can always improve your game further eventually giving you a bigger and bigger edge over other pros.

Apart from this I think there are many different profitable strategies. 50 tabling 2$ 180 mans on stars, 3 tabling high stakes tournaments and everything in between

Edit: if you ever feel bad about your game, remember Jennifer tilly has been playing high stakes cashgames on tv
  • Think of poker as a bell curve, where the better decisions you make, the more likely your win rate will be higher than those who make more mistakes on the left side. There will be a very small percentage of players on the right edge of the curve who have profited the most from their decisions, e.g., six figures or more in lifetime profit. Aside from millions of hand decisions, these outliers have also made many optimal decisions in game selection, bankroll management, tilt management, mindset and other skills.

poker-winrate-shift-600x470.jpg

When money is taken out of the poker economy, such as PokerStars increasing the rake or more players buying into tournaments with 30% tax/rake, the entire curve shifts to the left so players lose more money. When pros' egos makes them keep playing against better pros, they can lose even more money than casual players and go busto, e.g., Gus Hansen, Brad Booth, and Shak.
    sard1010 wrote: »
    How can a pro profit from a pro? If they all know all the "tricks," isn't the only think left really reading ability and I guess table presence/confidence/swagger/intimidation?

What makes a REALLY good player REALLY good? Maybe I'm reaching too high at this point in my young poker "career," but I wouldn't mind at least a basic understanding of what makes a player able to make a living from poker.
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    Apart from this I think there are many different profitable strategies. 50 tabling 2$ 180 mans on stars, 3 tabling high stakes tournaments and everything in between

Suppose you don't really enjoy playing online? I've tried online and it just seems to pale in comparison to "real" live poker.. Even so, when I play poker I would hate for my attention to be skewed like that.
    BlondeFish wrote: »
    Aside from millions of hand decisions, these outliers have also made many optimal decisions in game selection, bankroll management, tilt management, mindset and other skills.

So essentially, at least in isolating this statement, you're saying perhaps if we were all more robotic and not so human a pro wouldn't really be much better than any other pro, but given that poker involves so many variables and is such a "human" game there is room for an extremely wide variety of skill levels, even among pros. I guess an easy example that explains what I'm saying is Phil Ivey's table "swagger" and intimidation perhaps gives him a significant edge over less mentally tough competition.
  • 99% of "pros" are cash game players...the majority of the time you are not playing vs. other pros so it doesn't really matter, but to entertain the question just realize there are huge differences in winrates and skills between pros. You can make a measly living at 5/5 being a nit and a very skilled LAG pro can likely make 5x as much in the same games which include the odd nitty pro.

I would guess that 95% of pro poker income is made vs. tables consisting of primarily non pro players in cash games.
  • 99% of pros are cash players

interesting, do you mean live? online there should be a bunch of tournament pros, right?
    I'm saying is Phil Ivey's table "swagger" and intimidation perhaps gives him a significant edge over less mentally tough competition.

Absolutely. managing, manipulating and understanding what other player wants you to think their table image is at any given time is a game of its own which can yield big benifits. Leveling wars between pros can be fun :3
  • When you said pro vs pro, I was thinking more like this:

prostitute-690x388.jpg