Hand Analysis from WPT Montreal

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've seen one of these posted so I thought I would get your feedback. I'm going to only give hand description and nothing else, if you feel you need more information to make your decision just ask and I will answer. The hand in question was played in the survivor event #8 at WPT montreal just last night.

So player A is in mid/early position and opens with J9hh to roughly 900-1000 I do not remember exactly. Player B is 2 seats to the left of player A and calls preflop and 1 more caller in late position go to the flop. Flop brings 9c6c3d player A bets out roughly 1600, player B behind calls and late position folds. The turn brings an Ad and player A fires out again something like 2400. Player B flat calls behind. The river brings the 3s. Player A checks and player B bets out 7200. What do you do if your plater A?

Both players started the hand with a full stack of 20k or just over.

Comments

• player B could be firing this river with a lot of different hands such as a busted club flush draw (since you slowed down on the river), a paired A after floating the flop (but probably not a great ace as i'd assume AK and maybe AQ would reraise preflop - player dependent i guess), or a flopped set that made a boat on the river (just called your cbet and probably assumed you hit your A on the turn and was hoping you'd fire on river as well).

in any case, i think too many hands you are most likely behind here. fold. but this advice is in a vacuum as i don't have any info on the villain.
  • What info would you like to know?
  • What do you think of a check raise on the turn when the A hits? If he calls you can confidently c/f river, if it checks through you have a smaller pot and can probably c/c on (non club) rivers.

If not, I like a larger sizing on the turn - same reason, if you bet larger and get called it's an easy river fold.

Also fold pre... but who am I kidding, I'd probably raise EP with junk too.
  • What info would you like to know?

how tight/loose and aggressive/passive villain is? what has he been showing down with in general? is he capable of bluffing the river?

also, i kind of like bfill's suggestion of checking turn with the idea of c/raising. one, you are showing pot control with not a huge hand but one that has showdown value, and two you may be able to push villain off of some more hands like a weaker ace for example. obviously a villain call would lead you to check/fold river.