Bye bye online poker HUDS!

So there has been a ruling that will most certainly have an impact on online poker, for the better, for the worse, I don't know yet, but it's definitely going to have an impact.

b11124c27656b5c8880bf742ab645cf6.png
LLxxP7Z.jpg

I am taking this from a twoplustwo thread, but I would love to hear thoughts from people on here!

Comments

• I for one am glad and think all HUDs of all kinds should be banned. We should still be able to download hand histories though.
  • Tourney wise, because I am not a volume player, I always did better on Pokerroom skins because HUDs did not work in their tourneys.
  • moose wrote: »
    Tourney wise, because I am not a volume player, I always did better on Pokerroom skins because HUDs did not work in their tourneys.

Ah yes good old Pokerroom.. I miss those days... a lot..
  • I am pretty happy with the removal of the HUDS, I think that if your going to try to make a living playing online, that it shouldn't be any different than doing so at the live tables with the only exception being the volume. With that said, there are still work arounds to this, creating software and having things open on a laptop or tablet beside to run numbers as you play or for reference, but the real time stats being gone and the fact that a machine will tell you what button to click and when is a good time to steal is going to be gone, I think that is great news. For the mediocre or rec level player, you know, the ones that really fund the game, will feel happier and less likely to never re-deposit. I know I have taken some beats by pros that I was very much concerned they made the calls they did due to some machine reads or stats they had on me. Now that will be gone and I will be able to donk off as I please!
  • i've used HUDs for a while as i felt that i was at a disadvantage if i didn't use them, but i've never agreed with their use. i strongly feel that it takes away from the game itself and i may even suggest that it completely changes the game. instead of observing opponents' tendencies and playing against the actual players, all you do is crunch numbers and find exploitable holes that in reality no human brain would ever find. it's not poker anymore, it's number crunching math exploitation. i think it belittles our lovely game of poker.

think chess - there are chess engines that can give optimal moves and there are chess databases that take openings to absurd amounts of moves into the game. these exist but using them to play chess online is not only cheating, it's not even playing chess anymore.

i see it as the same as HUDs. i'd even be willing to get rid of databases altogether if i thought it was possible to do so (but obviously not). part of poker is remembering your opponents and trying to play optimally against them. using a program that tells you how to do so is plain cheating the game of poker imho.
  • Infinitely big like to Trig's post, but still fu trigs...
  • Big Ups to Trigs! *brap brap brap
  • There are so many people online how could you possibly remember them all? I use the HUDs but I don't refer to them all that much in the course of the game. So if they're banned from the games then I wouldn't care too much. But I think you should still be able to build a stats profile of the players you play against regularly.

So, I use PokerTracker so I went to their website and found this:
    https://www.pokertracker.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=59551
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    There are so many people online how could you possibly remember them all? I use the HUDs but I don't refer to them all that much in the course of the game. So if they're banned from the games then I wouldn't care too much. But I think you should still be able to build a stats profile of the players you play against regularly.

So, I use PokerTracker so I went to their website and found this:
    https://www.pokertracker.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=59551

Pretty sure you can take notes on players and save those within the client software... <grin>
  • Pretty sure you can take notes on players and save those within the client software... <grin>

exactly. there are notes built into the poker software so you can keep track of players. that's all one should need in a fair game of poker.
  • So..

Are the sites just disabling them, or if I load it up do I get a letter saying I'm being naughty?

Mark
  • Party poker is doing the same, they are not d/'ing HH to your HD anymore, thus the HUD's won't function.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    So..

Are the sites just disabling them, or if I load it up do I get a letter saying I'm being naughty?

Mark

as far as i know, HUDs are not completely disabled on stars yet. however, certain functions won't be allowed such as color coded stats and some other random stuff. anything that gives suggestions on how to act during the hand will be disabled. i'm assuming that if you open a table and have a HUD running you'll get an error message telling you you can't use it. i've been disabling my HUD anyway though.
  • UBetIFold wrote: »
    Party poker is doing the same, they are not d/'ing HH to your HD anymore, thus the HUD's won't function.

yeah this is stupid dumb. block all HUDs - fine. but let me still view my hand histories ffs.
  • Ya there's a bunch of uproar about this. On party, you WILL be able to still view HH's from up to one year ago, but only from within the client. The major problem with that is their HH replayer, or raw text form is much harder to decifer then on pt4 or hm2
  • I for one am super happy about this. Should help put some skill back into the online game, and make people have to pay for information again. Instead of having it wrapped in a nice little bow for them. Maybe I'll actually start playing more online again.
  • I agree, even the note taking function is still more than what live players get, its all based on memory really or if you do take notes its on a phone or little paper pad that you can review after the fact. I think its a step in the right direction to purifying online poker.
  • As someone that uses HUDs I can't be mad at this.

It sucks if u play volume, but a big part of good poker is adjusting and imo people that are able to play like 20 tables at once and profit can probably cut down on the number of tables they play and potentially have an INCREASED winrate per table anyways. They'll be following the action and table dynamics more closely and make more plays based on that, as opposed to "this guy folds to c-bets 100% of the time, I should fire even though I missed and just give up on the turn if I don't improve cause he most likely has something"

Only thing that really sucks is not being able to save HH's. That's definitely gonna hurt post game study. And pp's HH viewer is a pain to use, or at least for me anyways.

And fwiw I think this is gonna hurt the sites revenue overall bc they're gonna be getting less rake from 24 tabling regs and I can't see casuals racing to poker sites just because HUDs got banned (especially when a decent % of them don't even know what a HUD is)