i think i'm going to build myself a poker table

it's been an ongoing debate between the gf and i as to what i can put in the basement. i have always wanted a pool table even since i was a kid and now i finally have a basement that i can fit one into. however, the gf is a little concerned that if we get a pool table, we won't be able to fit much else down there. she also wants a sectional couch and a projector screen (and i'll be putting up a dart board and we both kind of dream about getting a pinball machine lol).

even though i'm pretty sure we could fit it all in, she has (despite wavering back and forth) decided that it's best we don't get a pool table for now. i am allowed to put in a poker table though as she could use that for board games and the like also.

i already have the legs/base from an old dining room table that we don't use anymore, so all i have to do is make the table top. i've been doing some research online and pricing some stuff. i will hopefully get it made in the next couple months. we are going to paint and put a new floor in first though.

also, i am a little concerned about the foam and the felt. does anyone know of a good place where i can buy that stuff?

Comments

• Nice. You might ask Mr fillmaff for some advice.
  • Yeah if you remember the table you started on at my last game, that was one I built years ago. The design was available online and it's pretty easy to make.

I opted to go 3.5'x7' and it sits 8-9 comfortably. For 10 players, go the full 4x8. MDF was all the rage at the time but I went for 3/4" plywood instead - it's been at least 10 years and it is still holding up great.

Get the good foam (closed cell it is called) for underneath the felt - worth it to spend the extra on this part as you feel it under the cards. I ordered that foam as well as the vinyl for the rails online. The foam for the rails I found at a foam store in downtown Hamilton.

For felt, I have been through a bunch of different kinds over the years (one good feature of the design is that it's very simple to change the felt), and if I had to pick a favorite, I think I liked the burgundy "velveteen" fabric the best. I agree with what you said about the speed cloth being a little too firm under the cards - I noticed the same thing when I put it on. The velveteen on the other hand lets you take full advantage of the foam underneath. Think I got it on ebay.

It's obviously been a long time since I ordered all that stuff, but a good place to start would be straight poker supplies in Toronto. They seem to have all the ingredients, free shipping, not sure how their prices compare to what else might be out there.
  • Thanks bfill. That's awesome.
  • GL and provide a TR when you decide to start. I was just going to chime in on straight poker also. Great place. I've bought a bunch there
  • When I built my table a few years ago, I went to a Lens Mills store in KW - good prices, lots of selection.
  • Let me know if you're looking to get a custom cloth or looking for any building advice.