Official 2015 WSOP Thread!

WSOP time again! it always makes me feel refreshed and excited to play poker again. it's like the poker playoffs. how can you not be excited?

i know i will be following the action daily and watching my favourite pros compete. i might even pick up my laptop and register for a poker tournament again (finally)!

as usual, i was really thinking about heading out to vegas at the beginning of july but again i will most likely stay home (especially considering teachers might be going on strike soon :().

gl to those who are heading out there.

Comments

• why wait? hop on a plane NOW and I'll see you at the rio!
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    why wait? hop on a plane NOW and I'll see you at the rio!

sadly, i don't think that i could explain to my school board employer why i'm leaving in the middle of my class to go play poker in vegas. i could only make it out right near the end of the series in july, but i'd still be able to make it to a couple $1500 events i believe. honestly, there's always a chance i might just buy a ticket last minute and head down for a few days. unlikely this year, but possible.
  • I'll be making my annual trek on June 12th and staying through the 20th or 21st (depending on my success in the WSOP Seniors). I won't be playing much the first few days as my wife will be with me but once she heads home on the 16th it'll be serious poker time. My tentative plans are to play the following (always subject to change):

June 14 - Venetian black chip bounty
    June 16 - Wynn $300 NLHE (or possibly Day 1C of PH Event #22 $300 NLHE)
    June 17 - Wynn Seniors or PH One Bullet, 8 Handed (unless I'm in Day 2 of PH Event #22)
    June 18 - Venetian Event #40 $600 NLHE (unless I'm in Day 2 of Wynn Seniors)
    June 19 - WSOP Seniors
    June 20 - WSOP Seniors Day 2 (otherwise may play Rio 3PM deepstack or Aria $235 NLHE)
    June 21 - WSOP Seniors Day 3 or heading home

I'll probably play some cash games in between tourneys, most likely at the V (I'll be staying there for the entire stay this year). Anyone else playing in the WSOP Seniors this year (Jeff?)?
  • Playing the following

Event 16b Saturday June 6, 2015 - $1,500 No Limit Holdem Millionaire Maker
    Event 20 Monday June 8, 2015 - $1,500 No Limit Holdem
    Event 25 Wednesday June 10, 2015 - $5,000 No Limit Holdem - 8 Handed
    Event 28a Friday June 12, 2015 - $1,500 No Limit Holdem - Monster Stack

Event 68a/b/c Sunday/Monday/Tuesday July 5/6/7, 2015 - $10,000 No Limit Holdem - Main Event

I might add in Event 23 Tuesday June 9, 2015 - $1,500 No Limit 2-7 Draw Lowball

Good Luck to all that are going
  • Gogie wrote: »
    Anyone else playing in the WSOP Seniors this year (Jeff?)?

Wish I could but just can't spare the time and not sure I have the stamina for a deep run anymore.. May give the super seniors a run in future years.. Those 50 year olds are just too intimidating... Damn kids! :)

Good luck to all, wish you the best, we need more bracelets in Canada... and more of those US $$
  • hellmuth wins 14th bracelet in $10K razz! hate him, but damn that's impressive.
  • trigs wrote: »
    hellmuth wins 14th bracelet in $10K razz! hate him, but damn that's impressive.

just had to add some stats i came across:

109 cashes, 52 final tables, 14 wins, 10 runner-ups

those are crazy numbers! if he makes the money he final tables almost 48% of the time! and if he makes final table he wins it almost 27% of the time. that is just nuts.
    just had to add some stats i came across:

109 cashes, 52 final tables, 14 wins, 10 runner-ups

those are crazy numbers! if he makes the money he final tables almost 48% of the time! and if he makes final table he wins it almost 27% of the time. that is just nuts.

likely not that amazing if you find out how many he has entered...the firsts and seconds per final table are impressive
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    likely not that amazing if you find out how many he has entered...the firsts and seconds per final table are impressive
    I don't know.... how many wsop entries could he possibly have... 27 years... 300 entries.... cashing in 1/3 of your tournaments.... I'd say that was pretty impressive!

I'd take those stats!.... or Stueys... 30 entries of +$5000.... 10 WINS.... 1 in 3 winning percentage.... solidly Godlike!!
  • WTF? 27 years, you really think he averages 11 entries per year? FYI 67 events this year.
  • moose wrote: »
    WTF? 27 years, you really think he averages 11 entries per year? FYI 67 events this year.
    I realize there are 67 events.... but how many can you play?.... they all overlap, and i doubt Phil plays in every event he can squeeze in... maybe he does.... in '90 there were only 15 events and i doubt they let him play the ladies event despite his antics... lol

He just won event 17 on this years schedule.... so he didnt play in events 18-21.... im sure he's not playing every $1500 turbo they have on the schedule....

I couldnt find any indication of wsop events entered online... so yeah... just a guess on my part... how many events is he playing in this year.... anyone know?
  • Most pros that want to win player of the year will play almost every single day and yes they will play multiple events in a day if they bust early.

WSOP Bracelet Race: Hellmuth Leads Events Entered, Will Ivey Show?
  • ok.... so it appears he's been in 9 of the first 21 events.... if he keeps that pace he'll be north of 30th entries.... so his total entries might be closer to 500....
  • i agree that his total cashes (which i believe is the most of anyone) is not the greatest achievement considering he does play practically every event and has been for years. however, his percentage of cashing and making final tables is insane. also his making final table and finishing 1st/2nd is insane as well.
  • At the end of the day anyone can pick apart the numbers, but like him or not his record is pretty awesome.

WHITE MAGIC!
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    At the end of the day anyone can pick apart the numbers, but like him or not his record is pretty awesome.

WHITE MAGIC!

where does that white magic come from? i've heard it before but don't know when he started it. am i the only one who thinks it sounds a bit racist?
    where does that white magic come from? I've heard it before but don't know when he started it. Am i the only one who thinks it sounds a bit racist?

white guilt!

Wellllll....think there were just over 100 entries for the Razz.....so making the money and not the final table would be difficult.

I'm guessing a fair number of his final tables will be the same small fields.
  • T8urmoney wrote: »
    Wellllll....think there were just over 100 entries for the Razz.....so making the money and not the final table would be difficult.

I'm guessing a fair number of his final tables will be the same small fields.

it's true that most are smaller fields. i think i read the average field he beats when he wins is something in the 300's.
  • Agreed a lot of his cashes are already close to FT, reason for the high stat, but for every ft he makes, he practically gets HU half the time, and winning about half that, now that is impressive!
  • watts is leading event #24 $1500 horse with 31 players left.
    watts is leading event #24 $1500 horse with 31 players left.
    well done!... congrats! 6th place!
  • Was going to do some updating while I was in Vegas but I ran into issues with my PokerForum account (due to Hotmail issues). Got it all straightened out so here goes.

Arrived in Vegas late on the 12th with the Mrs. Stayed at the Venetian. Didn't play much poker over the next four days (other than a $400 black chip bounty on the 14th. Knew I was in trouble when I was given my seat assignment - Table 66, Seat 6. Despite that I managed to survive until around 35th out of 137, but failed to snag any bounties).

The Mrs. left the morning of the 16th so it was time for Poker mania! Played the Wynn $300 at noon. Felt I played well but again fell short of the money, busting out 76th out of 231 runners. Headed back to the V and registered for the 7 pm black chip bounty. 127 runners and I was playing my usual "scuffle" poker (seems I'm always scuffling along, never building a huge stack but managing to keep my head above water). Next thing I know we're in the money and I still have a few chips to play with. Managed to make it to the final table with a little less than average stack. Picked up some hands at key moments and found myself playing in the final three! I was the short stack and one guy had a huge stack so I decided to focus on number 2 and try to take down 2nd. Played a little rope-a-dope (avoided the big stack, especially when he was in against number two) and next thing I know we're head-to-head. By this time it was 4:30 am and I was hoping to play in the Wynn Senior's at 10 am so I cut a deal with the big stack, taking $5399 (exactly enough to avoid withholding tax). Together with the 6 bounties I collected along the way I ended up with a cool six grand!

Played the Wynn Senior's on the 17th (no luck, although again I went fairly deep, busting out around 50th and followed that up the next day at the Venetian $600 event. Again no luck, so I was starting to think maybe my luck was one and done this year. Hit the sack relatively early so I would be rested for my main event, the WSOP Senior's.

Arrived at the RIO around 9 am on the 19th to play the Senior's. This was my 5th crack at the Senior's and my goal was to finally make Day 2. With that in mind, I started out somewhat cautiously, picking my spots and trying to pick up a few chips here and there. Probably the most memorable hand in the first couple of rounds was one where I was dealt 6-6 and called a small raise. Heads up with a Q high flop. Villain bets out about half the pot, so I call. Turn x and villain checks. River another blank (leaving 3 cards on board above my 6's). Villain bets about 3/4 of the pot. I think for a few minutes and figure there's no way he paired the board and was probably sitting on something like A-J or A-10. I call and he mucks when I show my 6's. A few of the other players were surprised at my call but I was pretty confident in my read on the villain. My table busted after about 4 levels and my stack was up to ~8200 (starting stacks were 5000). Moved to a new table and found the table's big stack on my left. First hand I'm the BB and look down to see QQ. UTG (big stack) raises to 750 and it's folded around to the SB, who has about 8000 chips. He thinks briefly and shoves. I shove my stack and UTG immediately calls, which causes me significant concern. SB turns over JJ and UTG shows KK. Doesn't look good for me, especially when the flop comes AJx. I stand up, getting ready to pack my things when the turn brings a beautiful lady. The river's a brick and Gogie lives on to fight another day. I triple up to almost 25K and coast to the end of the day! Out of 4,193 runners only 567 make it to day 2 and the final 423 get paid.

The average stack size starting day 2 is 36,975. My stack is 31,400, putting me around 230th out of the remaining 567. Big stack is sitting at 160,000. And guess who I find sitting on my left when I sit down at my table for the start of day 2 - Mr. Big Stack!!! Right off the bat he comes out swinging, raising the first four pots. However, he did show 3 of those hands and said he had cards the one hand he didn't show. Didn't seem like he wasn't really trying to bully the table based on what he played early. I decided to play semi-aggressive and picked up a few uncontested pots. I managed to knock out a smaller stack when he shoved into my BB and I called with KQ off. He turned over QJ and my KQ held up. Other than that I basically bobbed and weaved my way into the money, ending up 259th! I busted out when I shoved my last 15K with AsKs and got called by TT. Board bricked and it was all over for Gogie.

I finished 13th out of the Canadians entered and 2nd out of those from Oakville. Great job on your finish, Buddy. I wish I had known you were playing – I would have tried to look you up. Maybe next year (I’m already planning for it)!
  • Nice tr. Thanks for sharing.
  • thanks that was awesome!
  • Hey guys - if anyone's here in Vegas now I'm around town playing here and there. Made Day 2 of the $300 at Planet Hollywood but otherwise will be playing mostly at the Rio - Daily Deepstacks and at least 1 WSOP event.
  • negreanu in 9th of 27 left in main event. even if you hate him, making final table would be huge for poker.
  • I hope he takes it down.
  • Any where to watch the final two tables online ?